TMR534: Brendan Benson - “Half a Boy (And Half a Man)”

chaptertwentyone
Little People

TMR534: Brendan Benson - “Half a Boy (And Half a Man)”

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Described by Clash Music as “one of America’s best songwriters”, Brendan Benson has consistently unfurled unparalleled melodies and lyrics in his acclaimed career. Over twenty years in, he’s still wowing folks and “Half a Boy, Half a Man” is a powerful dollop of power chords wrapped into a tale of split personalities. Backed with an astute cover of Jules Shear’s “Big Kid Face” from his 1989 album The Third Party in which Benson helps shine a light on this oft-overlooked but seminal songwriter. “Half a Boy (and Half a Man) was one of the last songs to be recorded in my Nashville based recording studio before it was completely demolished and made into a parking lot, but it is a personal comeback for me,” says Benson of the new songs, “I’ve been producing and co-writing so much that I kinda lost sight of myself. Making this album has brought me home again.”

Best known as half of the songwriting team at the heart of the Raconteurs (along with Jack White) Brendan Benson’s career has never slowed across six solo albums, two Raconteurs full-lengths, countless collaborations and placements and a seat as one of the most respected and reliable writer, performers, producer, engineer and musical jack-of-all-trades. Despite his long history in the label family, this is the first time Benson will have a release on Third Man Records as a solo artist.

“Half a Boy (and Half a Man)” is available now digitally and the 7” with exclusive b-side “Big Kid Face” is available this Friday at your favorite local, independent record store. The limited edition tri-color 7" will be on sale for one day only, Friday, January 19th, exclusively at Third Man Records storefronts in Nashville and Detroit, available, first come, first served only for as long as the line and supplies lasts and never to be made accessible online. A "line" qualifies as 3+ people. This does not mean that you necessarily have to be in line when the store opens at 10am, but it does mean that if you arrive after the line has been serviced, the tri-colors will no longer be available. No exceptions. Plan your morning and assess your risk accordingly. Tri-colors will be one-per-person.

Join us for a solo in-store and signing with Brendan that afternoon, Friday, January 19th at 5pm at our Nashville storeforont.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/new-si ... n-vinyl-7/
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Re: TMR534: Brendan Benson - “Half a Boy (And Half a Man)”

It’s great to see Brendan back in the Third Man circle. I feel like the last direct work he’s had with them was... the record booth announcement video?
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Other than Jack’s single last weekend, it’s been a long time since I’ve really been interested in a TMR release. They are starting out strong in 2018. Let’s keep it up.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I heard his new song a few weeks ago and I love it so much. Great year, new Jack White album and new Brendan Benson album.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Just throwing it out there...if you want to get a tri today....I''ll pay cost plus $50. Avoid ebay fees and hit me up!
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Blackwell is giving one tri away in the Vault.
I’m giving away one copy of the limited edition tri-color of this record. In the comments below, do whatever…tell a story about Brendan, make me laugh, make me cry…it’s free reign to impress me. Whichever comment I like most gets the prize. SIMPLE!
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Gojikranz
Little Bird

Post by Gojikranz »

made my first ever visit to nashville and was excited to find a tri color of this for sale in the store. 33 bucks that the usual price?
edwardcarlton
Little Bird

Post by edwardcarlton »

Gojikranz wrote:made my first ever visit to nashville and was excited to find a tri color of this for sale in the store. 33 bucks that the usual price?
Yes. TMR raised the price of them a year or so ago. They started out selling them as the same price for a regular 7”, $6.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

edwardcarlton wrote:
Gojikranz wrote:made my first ever visit to nashville and was excited to find a tri color of this for sale in the store. 33 bucks that the usual price?
Yes. TMR raised the price of them a year or so ago. They started out selling them as the same price for a regular 7”, $6.
No the tri colors originally sold for #10 at the store.

Good ole days when I bought 3 sets of the first 3 for a hundred bucks...
he is everything i hate...