Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demotika

JakobGreen
Little Bird

Re: Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demot

Post by JakobGreen »

Got my shipping notice today. Sadly not gonna arrive before I leave for work for two weeks.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So I asked Blackwell about runout etchings on these lps because they've got me more stumped (pun intended) than most TMR etchings. He smiled and declined to explain them. I haven't finished reading the liner notes yet, does anyone know if there's a reference in them that makes these make sense?

Side one: A TALISMAN OAK
Side two: A SENATE OMITS OAKS
Side three: OVARIAN TIES TO OAK
Side four: AGAIN GUITAR IKON ON OAK
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aaaaaand never mind, just got a tip from a friend to think anagrammatically. So, Ben, why didn't y'all swap the track order on side two so it'd be consistent across all four lps?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Article about the album that includes some quotes from Blackwell about TMR's involvement-- http://www.windycitygreek.com/why-the-m ... opher-king
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:Aaaaaand never mind, just got a tip from a friend to think anagrammatically. So, Ben, why didn't y'all swap the track order on side two so it'd be consistent across all four lps?
Ah, I get the etchings now..
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

I just picked this up today. Can't wait to listen to it!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Coma16 wrote:I just picked this up today. Can't wait to listen to it!
Hope you come back and talk about it when you do! As usual with stuff like this and the Paramount sets, I've got very few people to babble about the music with.
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

Yeah most definitely. Might be a few days though. I didn't think I would see this at my local record store so soon being that I live in Canada and all. Also, my background is greek so it was a no brainer to pick it up.
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

I highly recommend checking out the previous volumes in this series. Starting off with "Don't Trust Your Neighbors". You can find it on Angry Mom Records. Any of the collections Chris has put together are spectacular.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JakobGreen wrote:I highly recommend checking out the previous volumes in this series. Starting off with "Don't Trust Your Neighbors". You can find it on Angry Mom Records. Any of the collections Chris has put together are spectacular.
I haven't looked into his previous records yet, are they all Greek folk or does he branch out into a variety of genres?
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:
JakobGreen wrote:I highly recommend checking out the previous volumes in this series. Starting off with "Don't Trust Your Neighbors". You can find it on Angry Mom Records. Any of the collections Chris has put together are spectacular.
I haven't looked into his previous records yet, are they all Greek folk or does he branch out into a variety of genres?
Yes, not all are greek. Aimer Et Perdre: To Love & To Lose Songs, 1917-1934 is a collection on Tompkins Square that is mainly cajun prewar along with country blues and some Ukranian folk, all pre war, all great songs. When I Reach That Heavenly Shore is a prewar gospel com. I could go on and on but I will make it simple- go here http://longgonesound.com/ and go to past projects.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, thanks! I've read a few of his articles in Oxford American but hadn't yet dug into his work beyond that.

Seeing Armede Ardoin in the list there, might as well stick this here: Amanda Petrusich writing about Chris King and that particular record- http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... n-virtuoso I definitely may have to order that one.
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:Ah, thanks! I've read a few of his articles in Oxford American but hadn't yet dug into his work beyond that.

Seeing Armede Ardoin in the list there, might as well stick this here: Amanda Petrusich writing about Chris King and that particular record- http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... n-virtuoso I definitely may have to order that one.
Yes, Amanda's great. I love her take on Joe Bussard in the book. The Armede Ardoin is a must along with the Alexis Zoumbas and the Imaginational Anthem set.
Chris has a book of his writing due out soon as well. I hate that I am going to miss out on him at Third Man for the release show.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I know, of all the events they announced, that's the one I'm most sorry to miss, too. Would be a heckuva treat to hear him talk about this music in person. Not quite as much of a trip as watching Joe get excited as he plays stuff, but probably tremendously interesting.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

The Alexis Zoumbas compilation is definitely a must. Some of the most beautiful violin melodies I have ever heard- and epirotika mirologi the most heart-wrenchingly hauntingly beautiful tune.
He describes it best here - http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014 ... -beauties/

I am absolutely in love with this folk compilation as well. As a fan of both eastern and western music I really enjoy it. Once again, TMR has introduced me to music I had no idea I loved so much.