Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demotika

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demotika

Post by Kali Durga »

This is freaking fantastic-- http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/why-the ... are-black/
Third Man Records is proud to present a truly rare musical oddity on February 5th- a two disc collection of primal and unhinged Greek village music that at times sounds more like free jazz or doom folk, feral and trance-like as it is. After years of research, fieldwork and collecting, Christopher King-Grammy-winning producer, sound-engineer, curator and writer- has gathered together from his private 78 rpm archive the most mind expanding and libido inducing song and dance music from the rural hinterlands of mainland Greece and its islands. Recorded between 1907 and 1960, this collection contains the first and the last-the alpha and the omega-of Greek demotika- or folk music. And it is not what you would expect.

Remastered from the original 78 rpm discs, this set contains 28 previously unissued recordings made in the cramped, primitive studios of Athens, Greece, New York, NY, and Chicago, IL. Crazed Macedonian bagpipes, keening violins, shiver-inducing zournas and shepherd-pipes are found throughout the two discs. Cover artwork is by legendary underground artist R. Crumb and designed by Grammy winning Susan Archie. A beautifully thought-provoking if not radical essay on this music by King accompanies the lavish package. Not simply for historians or collectors of long gone sounds, this compilation is intended to push the limits of what we have come to expect of music, its purpose and indeed its origin. You will experience a profound musical transformation immediately upon listening.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mangry
Little Ghost

Re: Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demot

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:This is freaking fantastic-- http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/why-the ... are-black/
Third Man Records is proud to present a truly rare musical oddity on February 5th- a two disc collection of primal and unhinged Greek village music that at times sounds more like free jazz or doom folk, feral and trance-like as it is. After years of research, fieldwork and collecting, Christopher King-Grammy-winning producer, sound-engineer, curator and writer- has gathered together from his private 78 rpm archive the most mind expanding and libido inducing song and dance music from the rural hinterlands of mainland Greece and its islands. Recorded between 1907 and 1960, this collection contains the first and the last-the alpha and the omega-of Greek demotika- or folk music. And it is not what you would expect.

Remastered from the original 78 rpm discs, this set contains 28 previously unissued recordings made in the cramped, primitive studios of Athens, Greece, New York, NY, and Chicago, IL. Crazed Macedonian bagpipes, keening violins, shiver-inducing zournas and shepherd-pipes are found throughout the two discs. Cover artwork is by legendary underground artist R. Crumb and designed by Grammy winning Susan Archie. A beautifully thought-provoking if not radical essay on this music by King accompanies the lavish package. Not simply for historians or collectors of long gone sounds, this compilation is intended to push the limits of what we have come to expect of music, its purpose and indeed its origin. You will experience a profound musical transformation immediately upon listening.
This is awesome. For more info read the book Do Not Sell At Any Price.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ That was my first thought. People should read that book anyway, it's terrific on so many levels.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thanks for the update, Panos!

Edit: Before I contact TMR, figured I'd ask here-- I put this and a Motor City tumbler in my cart and tried to apply the VAULT10 coupon code, but got an error message saying the coupon code is not valid. Does it not apply to pre-orders or something?
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Are you logged in? I have used the code on preorders before.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I thought I was, because I'd logged in to check Vault announcements. Guess you still have to log in to the store separately, though, 'cause that worked. Glad I asked here first. Thanks!
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

Why ARE the mountains black, Panos?
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

PugFaceRex wrote:Why ARE the mountains black, Panos?
it's the color of the gods poop. zeus, ares, hades, hermes - all those guys poop black.
he is everything i hate...
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

I am hoping for an event in which Chris King comes and talks 78s, spins 78s, etc.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mangry wrote:I am hoping for an event in which Chris King comes and talks 78s, spins 78s, etc.
That'd be damned cool.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

elduderino wrote:
PugFaceRex wrote:Why ARE the mountains black, Panos?
it's the color of the gods poop. zeus, ares, hades, hermes - all those guys poop black.
Actually there is a possible explanation but I am not sure if it applies in this LP title
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Excellent article about Chris King's involvement in putting this record together: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Getting close to the release date. Looking foward to this..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I got my shipping notice today.