Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demotika

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Why The Mountains Are Black, a collection of Greek demot

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:Once again, TMR has introduced me to music I had no idea I loved so much.
That's it, right there. And I just ordered the Zoumbas compilation based purely on Epirotika Mirologi. That sound... I've always loved violin, but that's something else again. You chose the right word, heart-wrenching. I've read so many books about why music affects us the way it does, but I've yet to find any explanation of how it can create that sort of physical feeling, where you literally feel it in, no, not in, with your heart. How the hell does that happen? I need to finish reading King's article later, but thank you for posting it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

For those going to the release party for WTMAB, Susan Archie who did the packaging design for WTMAB and the Paramount sets plus many more great projects- is going. Really wish I could make it, itd be great to meet Chris and Susan.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ Ah, I forgot she was involved with the Paramount sets. Now I'm even more sorry I'm missing that event, too.

Received the Alexis Zoumbas record tonight. Holey moley. That is some insanely beautiful music.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ Ah, I forgot she was involved with the Paramount sets. Now I'm even more sorry I'm missing that event, too.

Received the Alexis Zoumbas record tonight. Holey moley. That is some insanely beautiful music.
Isnt it? Such a sad story about him. Hauntingly beautiful..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

And again, the liner notes along with it, telling that story. Obviously when you buy a Chris King record, you're committing yourself to some intense reading along with listening.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So did anyone go to the release party? I saw the TMR Instagram posts but would love to hear more about it.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:So did anyone go to the release party? I saw the TMR Instagram posts but would love to hear more about it.
It was fantastic. They had Greek finger foods, beer, and wine, but of course the real treat was hearing the original 78s. King played through the collection in the first half of his set, pausing to answer questions and provide some commentary and context for the songs. The second set consisted of him pairing Greek demotika with cultural touchstones from the US, providing a sort of metaphoric guide to listening. Of course, there was no literal influence on Greek demotika from the US, but hearing Dark was the Night (original 78 - I had chills!) accompanied with the traditional Greek music made it all make sense. King was warm and friendly, and quite knowledgeable. It was magic!
Hyperbole used for effect!
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

mangry wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:So did anyone go to the release party? I saw the TMR Instagram posts but would love to hear more about it.
It was fantastic. They had Greek finger foods, beer, and wine, but of course the real treat was hearing the original 78s. King played through the collection in the first half of his set, pausing to answer questions and provide some commentary and context for the songs. The second set consisted of him pairing Greek demotika with cultural touchstones from the US, providing a sort of metaphoric guide to listening. Of course, there was no literal influence on Greek demotika from the US, but hearing Dark was the Night (original 78 - I had chills!) accompanied with the traditional Greek music made it all make sense. King was warm and friendly, and quite knowledgeable. It was magic!
Sounds like it was a pretty cool evening. How many people showed up for it?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mangry wrote:Of course, there was no literal influence on Greek demotika from the US, but hearing Dark was the Night (original 78 - I had chills!) accompanied with the traditional Greek music made it all make sense.... It was magic!
That definitely sounds like magic. Every time I listen to this record, I hear echos of American blues music. Do you remember any of the other songs King chose to link?

And, just for the hell of it, I just searched Tidal and found a two volume set of Greek rebetika music and an album of epirotika. Wonder how long I can get away with streaming those at work before my co-workers throw my computer out the window...
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Well, I couldn't stay for the whole second set, so I don't know all the titles, but he did also pair an early country side, maybe a square dance track, with a Greek dance number in 7/8 time. He also played what I surmised to be an Arabic dance song and dedicated it to Ben Blackwell.

The crowd waxed and waned throughout the night, maybe topping out at 30 people at the highest point. I stood right by the tables, mesmerized by the music, so I didn't get a head count. There were lots of people I had never seen before, and a few regulars.

In all, one of my favorite third man events!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

mangry wrote:I am hoping for an event in which Chris King comes and talks 78s, spins 78s, etc.
By the way, for all in attendance, you're welcome!! :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Damn, I wish I could have been there. Thank you for the re-cap, mangry.
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Sounds like a great time, I was wondering how it went. Thanks for the recap.