Only for US ?
Why can't we buy it ? :cry:
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Hateful Eight soundtrack

Post by rsimms3 »

Mick III wrote:Only for US ?
Why can't we buy it ? :cry:
Probably some sort of distribution agreement for U.S. vs rest of the world.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
mhcox
Little Cream Soda

Post by mhcox »

Just got mine in the mail - pretty dinged up corner which affected the posters inside. Bummer.
when roles are reversed, opinions are too.
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Anybody listen to this yet, or are we all, myself included, waiting till we see the movie? I've contemplated spinning a few times, but can't bring myself to do it.
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

I watched the movie yesterday. The soundtrack is pretty good within the context of the film. Apple Blossom seemed really out of place though and ended quite abruptly, not sure if it just seemed that way because it's a song I'm incredibly familiar with or whether it just didn't suit the scene.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

Jamie wrote:I watched the movie yesterday. The soundtrack is pretty good within the context of the film. Apple Blossom seemed really out of place though and ended quite abruptly, not sure if it just seemed that way because it's a song I'm incredibly familiar with or whether it just didn't suit the scene.

I thought it was perfectly placed... and it ended right at the solo so that probably threw you off... the 70mm film was beautiful and the program was a nice touch...

hunkswithguns
Little Bird

Post by hunkswithguns »

Caught the movie in 70 last night and it was an absolute blast (as expected). Chomping at the bit to see what Third Man has cooked up for the limited release of the soundtrack. Would have figured details to emerge on or around Christmas too.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I'd like to see them do something similar to what they did for the recent Dylan bootleg series and include a strip of the film in the package.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

I'm not going to win any popularity points here but if you're going to shoot in 70 mm why confine 95% of your storyline to one room? I'll have to listen to Morricone's score because I think Tarrantino squandered a massive talent in the final cut.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

anonymousbrunette wrote:I'm not going to win any popularity points here but if you're going to shoot in 70 mm why confine 95% of your storyline to one room?

The writer of slate.com's review touched on that-- http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movi ... wed.2.html
But I disagree with those critics who find the interior-bound middle section of The Hateful Eight to be as visually flat as a filmed theatrical performance. Even within the tight space of that one room, Tarantino finds cinematically interesting ways to place and move the camera. Sometimes, those techniques are flamboyant, as when he throws in an overhead shot looking down from the ceiling rafters just because he can, but sometimes they’re so sophisticated they take a while to sink in. At one moment, a character proposes defusing potential conflicts by reserving one half of the room for rebel sympathizers and the other for supporters of the Union. After that point, Tarantino’s framing, which formerly gave us wide shots of the whole room, tends to chop up the space into smaller territorial segments, subtly changing our understanding of the space’s geography and its inhabitants’ psychology.
I'm still undecided on both the soundtrack and the film. I have to be in the right frame of mind for films like this-- Tarantino films, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, anything that violent or mentally stressing. If I'm not, I come out of the theater with my head in a very weird place. And I keep wondering how the bits of dialogue fit into the soundtrack. Does anyone who's listened to it find that distracting from the music?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Saw the movie today. Definitely not 95% in one room. A lot, yes but not 95%. I saw it in 70mm but it didn't feel as large as what I expected. Wide, yes but not as much as I imagined. Also, no program. Theater said they ran out. I'll be drumming up AMC on FB tomorrow as well as contacting their customer service department. Apple Blossom fit well for the scene if you matched the lyrics to the character. The score sounded more horror film with screeching strings more than a post-Civil War Mexican standoff with a hint of Clue film. The song Jennifer Jason Leigh sings was great, gotta find information on that one. I didn't listen to the soundtrack going in. Completely Tarantino but with less music in general and only two tracks that utilized vocals that I can recall during the film itself (one of those sung by Jennifer Jason Leigh).
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

rsimms3 wrote:Saw the movie today. Definitely not 95% in one room. A lot, yes but not 95%. I saw it in 70mm but it didn't feel as large as what I expected. Wide, yes but not as much as I imagined. Also, no program. Theater said they ran out. I'll be drumming up AMC on FB tomorrow as well as contacting their customer service department. Apple Blossom fit well for the scene if you matched the lyrics to the character. The score sounded more horror film with screeching strings more than a post-Civil War Mexican standoff with a hint of Clue film. The song Jennifer Jason Leigh sings was great, gotta find information on that one. I didn't listen to the soundtrack going in. Completely Tarantino but with less music in general and only two tracks that utilized vocals that I can recall during the film itself (one of those sung by Jennifer Jason Leigh).
You mention the horror-esque vibe of the music. Check out this article, in which Morricone talks about using unused music from his score for John Carpenter's the Thing. Both movies have that whole claustrophobic-winter vibe going on.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... story.html
Hyperbole used for effect!