Elvis Presley 1st Single - RSD 2015 TMR-307

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Elvis Presley 1st Single - RSD 2015 TMR-307

Post by rsimms3 »

Gojikranz wrote:ya I try very hard to limit myself to one version of any given release (though like i said might have to get the 7" of the elvis) both for my wallet and my girlfriends sake.
I believe the 7" will be different in that the audio will be cleaned up where the 10" is a straight raw transfer with all the original clicks and pops. So, at least you can tell your GF that the audio will be better on the 7" and you need to buy it for that alone.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

This thread keeps popping up and I keep thinking someone else might have commented on having listened to it. I know this is a collector's forum, but the music that's on the collectible record has to mean something, doesn't it? Or am I just the only Elvis fan around these parts?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Gojikranz
Little Bird

Post by Gojikranz »

just got my shipping notice. I will try to listen to it when I get it I am a bad collector I play my rare variants :oops:
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga wrote:This thread keeps popping up and I keep thinking someone else might have commented on having listened to it. I know this is a collector's forum, but the music that's on the collectible record has to mean something, doesn't it? Or am I just the only Elvis fan around these parts?
I will be wearing mine out when I get it. :D
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:This thread keeps popping up and I keep thinking someone else might have commented on having listened to it. I know this is a collector's forum, but the music that's on the collectible record has to mean something, doesn't it? Or am I just the only Elvis fan around these parts?
I think someone once said "writing about music is like dancing about architecture" or something along those lines.
Just because I don't comment on the sound of each record's thread I own...doesn't mean I don't listen to them.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I've heard that quote, I think it's b.s.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Once mine arrives it'll go straight to the turntable!
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

I've played mine a couple of times, all around pretty awesome. Def a lot of emotion in Presley's voice, but then yoy think about how in his mind he was thinking this recording could make or break him. On a technical side I love the raw sound. Gets a little rough on the B-side but I feel that adds to the grandeur of the songs.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

carlbelvin wrote:I've played mine a couple of times, all around pretty awesome. Def a lot of emotion in Presley's voice, but then yoy think about how in his mind he was thinking this recording could make or break him. On a technical side I love the raw sound. Gets a little rough on the B-side but I feel that adds to the grandeur of the songs.
Yeah, it's cool how you can hear the beginnings of what he became, but what he said to Ed Leek is definitely true-- He didn't sing like that anymore. Would be interesting to know if the difference between this and his first Sun singles was due to a bit more confidence or Sam Philips' production.

Going to also be interesting to hear how different the 45 sounds when it's released.
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

Kali Durga wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:I've played mine a couple of times, all around pretty awesome. Def a lot of emotion in Presley's voice, but then yoy think about how in his mind he was thinking this recording could make or break him. On a technical side I love the raw sound. Gets a little rough on the B-side but I feel that adds to the grandeur of the songs.
Yeah, it's cool how you can hear the beginnings of what he became, but what he said to Ed Leek is definitely true-- He didn't sing like that anymore. Would be interesting to know if the difference between this and his first Sun singles was due to a bit more confidence or Sam Philips' production.

Going to also be interesting to hear how different the 45 sounds when it's released.
I'd say 50-50 there is a lot going on in his voice, but confidence isn't very high on that list. As for the future release it will be nice to gear it cleaned up, but I think this is will be the definitive version to have.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

It's a piece of History that TMR reproduced down to the last T.
History. $20 versus $300,000
Nice of Jack to share it with us.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Alabama Woody wrote:Nice of Jack to share it with us.
Very. He could have so easily just stashed that thing in a (literal) vault somewhere and just felt the glow of ownership. I get the impression that it meant a lot to him to be able to share it.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Yep ^^^
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

To me, meant or not meant, it's a win-win. He spent some money in an auction to buy it. After that, he's making some money out of it. Enough? I don't know. I just know there are tons of collectors buying things like this that never got to the general public.

Even if the only chance you have to get it it's the regular 7" TMR is gonna release after RSD, it is still nice they are re-issuing this for the general public. If you are lucky enough to get a facsimile, well, way so much better.

The way this has been re-issued, I would really like JW makes back enough money to cover his bid, honestly. It deserves to be paid back. It is not only to own it, but to allow others to own the closest you can get to it first (facsimile) and after that a copy of it (regular 7").
This machine steals souls.
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

Kali Durga wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Nice of Jack to share it with us.
Very. He could have so easily just stashed that thing in a (literal) vault somewhere and just felt the glow of ownership. I get the impression that it meant a lot to him to be able to share it.
That's why Jack and TMR's role is so noble. Art is not supposed to be locked in a vault or in a private room. Be it a Picasso painting or Elvis' first recording, it should be available to the world. Otherwise it looses all its meaning.
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.