Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(EDIT: I take back every bad thing I ever said about Olivia Jean. I apologized to her personally long ago and have grown to appreciate her as a person and as an artist.)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

^^^ What Shane said.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I wonder what became of the drummer from the black belles. She was cool ! ?
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Alabama Woody wrote:I wonder what became of the drummer from the black belles. She was cool ! ?
I liked her too.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I've got some of her drum sticks, she signed them. She was very nice. I got them from the show at The End. Jack was there. We talked briefly. That was back when he had just released his first single from Blunderbuss. I wished him luck. I guess it worked !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
pitseleh
Little Bird

Post by pitseleh »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Momma told me if I can't say something nice... So I'll just say I wanted to like this. I very badly wanted to like this project, go read my previous posts about "Reminisce." The music really isn't bad at all. But I can't get into Olivia Jean as an artist, it's very difficult for me to take her seriously. And that's OK. Can't win 'em all. She's all yours, gang.

P.S. Opinions are like assholes and all that jazz. If you like her, that's all that matters.
may i ask - if you don't think the music is bad, why can't you take her seriously as a solo artist? i read your previous post and saw that you loved The Black Belles LP, and Olivia Jean was the frontwoman/songwriter of that band, wasn't she? is it just her overall aesthetic as a solo artist?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(Edit. I was a dick back then and have grown to truly appreciate Olivia Jean as a person and as an artist.)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quexzea
Little Bird

Post by Quexzea »

TMR wasn't clear if pre-orders received the colored vinyl... I cancelled my order w/ TMR because it came to $28 w/ shipping and I got it via AMAZON for $19 as I have prime free shipping. If it was the colored disc I may have payed near $30, but seriously, that is a lot of $ for a single release if there is nothing else special included.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

This has probably been posted somewhere, but--

(Note that the RRS will be along on some dates, which are all free.)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Quexzea wrote:TMR wasn't clear if pre-orders received the colored vinyl... I cancelled my order w/ TMR because it came to $28 w/ shipping and I got it via AMAZON for $19 as I have prime free shipping. If it was the colored disc I may have payed near $30, but seriously, that is a lot of $ for a single release if there is nothing else special included.
I may be wrong, but I don't recall them ever implying pre-orders were colored anywhere.
I was under the impression they'd be sold perhaps on tour, by the RRS or at her Devils Night Show.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
caseofthepunks
Little Bird

Post by caseofthepunks »

pitseleh wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:Momma told me if I can't say something nice... So I'll just say I wanted to like this. I very badly wanted to like this project, go read my previous posts about "Reminisce." The music really isn't bad at all. But I can't get into Olivia Jean as an artist, it's very difficult for me to take her seriously. And that's OK. Can't win 'em all. She's all yours, gang.

P.S. Opinions are like assholes and all that jazz. If you like her, that's all that matters.
may i ask - if you don't think the music is bad, why can't you take her seriously as a solo artist? i read your previous post and saw that you loved The Black Belles LP, and Olivia Jean was the frontwoman/songwriter of that band, wasn't she? is it just her overall aesthetic as a solo artist?
Hmm I wonder who you might be. Your only posts are about Olivia.
pitseleh
Little Bird

Post by pitseleh »

^ lol whoops. Well, I'm not Olivia or Jack or anyone connected to them, that's for sure. Just another Jack White/White Stripes fan, I'm afraid. I joined this forum this year only to view member photos of one of the Vault packages, which you can't do unless you're a member. I meant to remain a lurker, but I ended up posting because I was curious about why Olivia is getting so much backlash for this solo project. It's been happening on The Little Room as well.

I've heard a few Black Belles recordings and I'm not sold on Bathtub Love Killings, but Reminisce is growing on me.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I've been trying to pinpoint exactly why this new song (and honestly most of the Belle's album) doesn't do anything for me, and I figured it out: It's her singing. Olivia is a competent vocalist—but it doesn't really illicit a strong reaction in me one way or another. Sometimes I think the truly great singers do just that—some people love them, some people can't stand 'em. Tom Waits? Love his creativity, love his spirit, great songwriter. Can't stand his singing. See? It's easy for a person to who's a fan to say "You're fuckin' crazy," or "Yeah, I understand that." I know people who think Jack "can't sing," Willie Nelson, Lou Reed, fuck, Bob Dylan is probably the biggest example—oh God, you get my drift.

But Olivia . . . her singing just doesn't move me one way or another. And I think that's her "fatal flaw" for me. Certainly a fine musician. But her singing just doesn't grab me. This first single, it's okay tunewise. But the singing doesn't compel me to want to dig deeper.

I sure hope she's successful, and I know there will be lots of people who will follow her and will dig her. I would be psyched if she did something to change my thinking.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I was going to wait until I see and hear more for judgement. I'm giving blood to see and get Her album ... I'm betting that I like it after seeing Her live. I hope so. But those 2 clips don't give us a lot to go on.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

As far as on stage goes: Saw her with the Belles open for JW at the Webster Hall show. Tough crowd to impress for sure, but I wish she rose higher to the occasion.