Little Ghost

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by runofthemill »

Well. That's something.
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

Ouch. There are better folks out there for sure, but she has some good tunes, and I think of her as a gateway artist. I can see her getting some younger folks away from pop and into rock and roll. I will say that her band looked pretty bored at Devil's Night, but that's just a sign that they aren't true professionals. If you're with a band and aren't digging it, then quit. Don't get up onstage not trying to put on the best show you can. Also, disclaimer: I don't believe any music is inherently bad. I don't prefer a lot but if someone else digs it then it's existence is warranted. The only gray area for me is if the music overtly encourages violence or hatred.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

scoliosispony wrote:
Ouch. There are better folks out there for sure, but she has some good tunes, and I think of her as a gateway artist. I can see her getting some younger folks away from pop and into rock and roll. I will say that her band looked pretty bored at Devil's Night, but that's just a sign that they aren't true professionals. If you're with a band and aren't digging it, then quit. Don't get up onstage not trying to put on the best show you can. Also, disclaimer: I don't believe any music is inherently bad. I don't prefer a lot but if someone else digs it then it's existence is warranted. The only gray area for me is if the music overtly encourages violence or hatred.
ˆTHIS
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

I actually thought she was really good on Devil's Night. She was energetic and in tune, and the band was tight. I like OJ, even though she sounded way off on Conan. Lots of my favorite bands had great nights and not so great. (A quick listen to some of the vault releases of early Stripes confirm that!)
Hyperbole used for effect!
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(EDIT: I take back every bad thing I ever said about Olivia Jean. I apologized to her personally long ago and have grown to appreciate her as a person and as an artist.)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
mangry wrote:I actually thought she was really good on Devil's Night. She was energetic and in tune, and the band was tight. I like OJ, even though she sounded way off on Conan. Lots of my favorite bands had great nights and not so great. (A quick listen to some of the vault releases of early Stripes confirm that!)
Whoa there, buddy! haha Even when the Stripes were off you could tell there was something there. Weaker artists are just boring when they're off, no feeling of electricity at all.
Agreed, I am not equating the Stripes and OJ. Hyperbole used for effect!
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

mangry wrote:Hyperbole used for effect!
That should be a tag line for something.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
mangry wrote:Hyperbole used for effect!
That should be a tag line for something.
Good idea. I better make that my signature, since it applies to a large portion of my posts here!
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

mangry wrote:I actually thought she was really good on Devil's Night. She was energetic and in tune, and the band was tight. I like OJ, even though she sounded way off on Conan. Lots of my favorite bands had great nights and not so great. (A quick listen to some of the vault releases of early Stripes confirm that!)
She was into it for sure. I just got a vibe of boredom from the band, that they were less putting on a show and more going through the motions. They were competent enough to handle the tunes, but didn't seem "in it." I don't know a great way to explain.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

The Coco appearance—one of the reasons I thought it was pretty poor was because her backing band looked so bored and uninterested in putting any personal spark into the performance.

And also: That song: :yawn:
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

woodisgood wrote:The Coco appearance—one of the reasons I thought it was pretty poor was because her backing band looked so bored and uninterested in putting any personal spark into the performance.

And also: That song: :yawn:
I like it on the record, but Reminisce, Green Honeycreeper, and Haunt Me would have all made better choices for TV.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Ahh, yes!
New tour dates.
I had a good feeling she'd play Rough Trade in Brooklyn AND it's with The Dough Rollers.
Pumped.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The phrase "playing hide the pickle" isn't used nearly enough in the modern era....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Lola sent me this pic

It is from an eBay auction.
$52 end price

I didnt know there was a green variant
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
chaptertwentyone
Little People