Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by Alabama Woody »

I saw the Black Belles several times. Fun and entertaining each time. Had their own sound. I still like listening to the albums.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
caseofthepunks
Little Bird

Post by caseofthepunks »

woodisgood wrote:I've been trying to pinpoint exactly why this new song (and honestly most of the Belle's album) doesn't do anything for me, and I figured it out: It's her singing. Olivia is a competent vocalist—but it doesn't really illicit a strong reaction in me one way or another. Sometimes I think the truly great singers do just that—some people love them, some people can't stand 'em. Tom Waits? Love his creativity, love his spirit, great songwriter. Can't stand his singing. See? It's easy for a person to who's a fan to say "You're fuckin' crazy," or "Yeah, I understand that." I know people who think Jack "can't sing," Willie Nelson, Lou Reed, fuck, Bob Dylan is probably the biggest example—oh God, you get my drift.

But Olivia . . . her singing just doesn't move me one way or another. And I think that's her "fatal flaw" for me. Certainly a fine musician. But her singing just doesn't grab me. This first single, it's okay tunewise. But the singing doesn't compel me to want to dig deeper.

I sure hope she's successful, and I know there will be lots of people who will follow her and will dig her. I would be psyched if she did something to change my thinking.
This x 10. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Listening to the album right now. I can honestly say it's a well composed album. Obviously some tracks you'll get the White produced vibe,hey, his charm will always rub off on anyone who work with him. I'd also point out that this album isn't simply riding on the coattails of the Black Belles sound that many seem to dislike about the first single. Okay, it's OJ and her distorted guitar sound, but that's where the similarities end. If you are one of those who were turned off the first time around, give the album a listen. I think yall will be pleasantly suprised.

I'd give this a 8/10.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

Just listened to the stream on diffuser.fm. Pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do and it's really catchy. She sounded good when I saw her in Cleveland but she seemed pretty nervous (understandable as it was her second solo show). It may not be everyone's cup of tea (and the album is still meh), but I think it's definitely worth a listen.
Sizzle
Little Bird

Post by Sizzle »

I had to work today, but my roommate drove 3 hours to Cincy to get me a lavender copy of the record and got the cover signed by Olivia Jean. Needless to say, I owe him big time.
Sizzle
Little Bird

Post by Sizzle »

Here is the lavender vinyl. Cover was signed by OJ. Also, they hand these free 45's of Reminisce out after the shows in the record stores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Man, I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those 7"s somehow...
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Does the single have a TMR catalog number?
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

dunedin wrote:Does the single have a TMR catalog number?
No
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:Man, I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those 7"s somehow...
For reals. I drive a Scion, bought new...they don't ship 7"s to everyone who buys one. Mine is even purple. Dammit.
Hyperbole used for effect!
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Olivia Jean, one of the recently announced Scion Collaboration artists, will be putting together a show called “Bathtub Love Killings” at the Scion AV Installation in Los Angeles that will go up on November 15, 2014. The Third Man Records artist will kick things off with a live performance at the opening reception. The opening reception will be a free event and all you need to do is RSVP to attend!

“Bathtub Love Killings” will run from 11/15 to 12/6. The opening reception will take place at the Scion AV Installation space in Los Angeles on 11/15 starting at 7pm. The Scion AV Installation is located at 7667 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90046.

Olivia Jean recently released the single Scion AV Presents: Olivia — Reminisce in the lead-up to her album Bathtub Love Killings. You can check out a video for “Reminisce” below.

http://www.scionav.com/2014/10/21/rsvp- ... rformance/
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Has anyone else noticed Olivia Jean - Reminisce is listed on upcoming releases?
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Has anyone else noticed Olivia Jean - Reminisce is listed on upcoming releases?
Yes they announced awhile ago there would be a standard 7" along with the limited edition Scion one.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

Whats this I hear about a GITD cover for the variant release?
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."