Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

woodisgood
Little Ghost

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by woodisgood »

Holy Toldeo—the comments section in the Nashville Scene piece . . . BRUTAL.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

woodisgood wrote:Holy Toldeo—the comments section in the Nashville Scene piece . . . BRUTAL.
Just read them....DAAAAYYYYYUUUUMMMM!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

rsimms3 wrote:
woodisgood wrote:Holy Toldeo—the comments section in the Nashville Scene piece . . . BRUTAL.

Yeah, the internet is a sad, sad place. I weep for humanity at times.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

:shock: :wtf:
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

When I saw this title it made me think A solo album by miss mosshart produced by JW would be something
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kaber wrote:When I saw this title it made me think A solo album by miss mosshart produced by JW would be something
Or a Kills album?
Patient B1003
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

curseofhalos wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:

Yeah, the internet is a sad, sad place. I weep for humanity at times.
Talk about a sea of cowards most of the really offensive not based in any kind of logic ones are anonymous.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

The writer of the article/post—who is privvy to such information as this—just commented: >>@All of these comments are coming from the same two IP addresses. So, TWO people.<<

Now THAT is sick. :roll:
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

woodisgood wrote:The writer of the article/post—who is privvy to such information as this—just commented: >>@All of these comments are coming from the same two IP addresses. So, TWO people.<<

Now THAT is sick. :roll:
wow
caseofthepunks
Little Bird

Post by caseofthepunks »

So am I the only one who thinks those soundcloud clips are very reminiscent of songs from Lazaretto? I'm sorry but I think Jack is going to have a very heavy hand in this and I think he had a very heavy hand in the Belles. She may be able to play a lot of different instruments, but if she can't play all of them well then that doesn't make her talented. That video is so incredibly awkward. You know Jack told them, "say some nice things about Olivia for this video".
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

mojoryan wrote:I love The Black Belles, but this still reeks of pushing a product/product placement.
Well, I mean, it is a promotional video to sell a product.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Wow, I disagree with most of you guys about that video. It actually made me want to buy the record when the soundcloud clips did not. Yeah, JW is gonna have a heavy hand in the production of the album, but I actually do think she's quite a strong player. She definitely has a distinct melodic sensibility that comes up in the BB and in those clips from the new album, both vocally and on the guitar. I thought her playing was great at the BB release show a few years back. Having seen her perform with Wanda, JW, BB, I can attest that she held her own musically. As far as stage presence goes, maybe that is lacking a bit. Maybe she's in the zone, maybe she's nervous...but musician and performer are two different things. Most of us with musical talent but no stage presence don't get a shot, so kudos to her.

And, call me a pig, but she is a beautiful woman and I won't mind having that album cover in my house. 8-)
Hyperbole used for effect!
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

mangry wrote:Wow, I disagree with most of you guys about that video. It actually made me want to buy the record when the soundcloud clips did not. Yeah, JW is gonna have a heavy hand in the production of the album, but I actually do think she's quite a strong player. She definitely has a distinct melodic sensibility that comes up in the BB and in those clips from the new album, both vocally and on the guitar. I thought her playing was great at the BB release show a few years back. Having seen her perform with Wanda, JW, BB, I can attest that she held her own musically. As far as stage presence goes, maybe that is lacking a bit. Maybe she's in the zone, maybe she's nervous...but musician and performer are two different things. Most of us with musical talent but no stage presence don't get a shot, so kudos to her.

And, call me a pig, but she is a beautiful woman and I won't mind having that album cover in my house. 8-)
+1
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

mangry wrote:Wow, I disagree with most of you guys about that video. It actually made me want to buy the record when the soundcloud clips did not. Yeah, JW is gonna have a heavy hand in the production of the album, but I actually do think she's quite a strong player. She definitely has a distinct melodic sensibility that comes up in the BB and in those clips from the new album, both vocally and on the guitar. I thought her playing was great at the BB release show a few years back. Having seen her perform with Wanda, JW, BB, I can attest that she held her own musically. As far as stage presence goes, maybe that is lacking a bit. Maybe she's in the zone, maybe she's nervous...but musician and performer are two different things. Most of us with musical talent but no stage presence don't get a shot, so kudos to her.

I love her stage presence. I'll take genuine and- any day of the week -over a put on, and she's definitely all of the former. I'm not talking about her presence; I'm talking about her comfort level playing her instruments (save, her voice..she seems plenty comfortable there).

I don't take exception to her grabbing ahold of the TMR train and going for the ride-hell, I would too. What I take exception with is what seems like TMR trying to sell her as something she's not. Why not just be upfront? I know we disagree about her level of virtuosity, and that's ok, but just know that's where my opinion rests-it just seems insulting. Insulting to her and insulting to TMR fans. Granted, I could be totally reading her wrong, but being a lifelong musician tends to give me a pretty high comfort level with discerning musical truth from fiction.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

anonymousbrunette wrote: Always fascinates me the grief female artists are subject to compared to their male counterparts. Its not intentional, just thoughtless.
Ara, dear, I think you know me better than that-gender doesn't mean squat to me.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5