Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Mick III
Little Acorn

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by Mick III »

I have not used my 35% off on TMR, I think it will still be available the 14th of october. :D
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings LP

Post by bkramer10 »

Sweet! Can't wait

Side note- was it ever said if the Black Belles are done?
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

"Freelance Record Executive" :D
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

The Black Belles were ultimately a huge gimmick turned into a band, so it's interesting to see TMR doing something different with this one - just a video saying "look folks, there's been this super talented musician among us all this time and now she's done a solo album". Quite the change in direction, and in my opinion a welcome one.
Patient B1003
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I love The Black Belles, but this still reeks of pushing a product/product placement. I don't mean to speak ill of her (I like everything I've heard), but having seen TBB many times, one of which was literally two feet away from me, I can confidently say that I really don't think she's as seasoned as they would have us think. Well, at least she wasn't when she was with TBB. I saw someone who didn't look incredibly comfortable playing their instrument at times. Man, I sound like an asshole, but something just doesn't gel. She didn't look very adept or comfortable playing piano in that clip either. I'll buy the product-and love it-but things just aren't what they seem.

Apologies to her or friends/fans/employers of hers if this little post offends. Being an ass wasn't my intention-I just had to call it like I see it.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

mojoryan wrote:I love The Black Belles, but this still reeks of pushing a product/product placement. I don't mean to speak ill of her (I like everything I've heard), but having seen TBB many times, one of which was literally two feet away from me, I can confidently say that I really don't think she's as seasoned as they would have us think. Well, at least she wasn't when she was with TBB. I saw someone who didn't look incredibly comfortable playing their instrument at times. Man, I sound like an asshole, but something just doesn't gel. She didn't look very adept or comfortable playing piano in that clip either. I'll buy the product-and love it-but things just aren't what they seem.

Apologies to her or friends/fans/employers of hers if this little post offends. Being an ass wasn't my intention-I just had to call it like I see it.
+1
I don't think I've ever seen her perform publicly where she didn't look nervous. I heard she played keys at the Pittsburgh show and it looked really awkward. Performing with Jack on Fallon was a bit strange as well. I haven't watched the above video yet but there are folks who are really gifted musically that just don't do well in public. She sort of reminds me of Liz Phair in that regard, but Liz Phair openly acknowledges her struggles with performing in public.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

rsimms3 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:I love The Black Belles, but this still reeks of pushing a product/product placement. I don't mean to speak ill of her (I like everything I've heard), but having seen TBB many times, one of which was literally two feet away from me, I can confidently say that I really don't think she's as seasoned as they would have us think. Well, at least she wasn't when she was with TBB. I saw someone who didn't look incredibly comfortable playing their instrument at times. Man, I sound like an asshole, but something just doesn't gel. She didn't look very adept or comfortable playing piano in that clip either. I'll buy the product-and love it-but things just aren't what they seem.

+1
I don't think I've ever seen her perform publicly where she didn't look nervous. I heard she played keys at the Pittsburgh show and it looked really awkward. Performing with Jack on Fallon was a bit strange as well. I haven't watched the above video yet but there are folks who are really gifted musically that just don't do well in public. She sort of reminds me of Liz Phair in that regard, but Liz Phair openly acknowledges her struggles with performing in public.
You may well be right-it may be performance anxiety. I hope you're right, really. But then again, would performance anxiety affect her piano playing in the video above? I don't know, but as I said, I'll buy it either way-I like the finished product, regardless of how we get there.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

(EDIT: I take back every bad thing I ever said about Olivia Jean. I apologized to her personally long ago and have grown to appreciate her as a person and as an artist.)
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

It's TMR-281.
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

this is maybe a little shallow but lavendar vinyl + pretty cover = I'm gonna buy it even if it's NOT good.
but thankfully from what I've heard so far it IS good.
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Currently #1 on the list of awkward album titles of 2014.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
joie
Little Bird

Post by joie »

This pretty much summed up my thoughts. The video almost comes across like an infomercial. I'm not saying she is without talent, but they are really laying it on thick. I'll give it a chance though.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

^^^that right there. >>they are really laying it on thick<<
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

She's quite talented, and I like her musical style (though the subject matter is a bit morbid.) And of course she's not seasoned. How many new artists are? They have to start somewhere and it certainly seems as though she's putting in the hours for as young as she is. She's always come across as someone reluctant to be in the limelight but not every artist has that thirst for attention. HOLY HELL though, whose idea is it to keep dressing women alike over there? If you're waiting tables, or working at a boutique-y record label, I get it. It worked for the Belles because it was a gimmick. But she's a solo artist. This is her SOLO debut. So why the fukc do you dress a look-a-like in the artists clothes and have her sidle up next to OJ, then use that photo for the big announcement? That's a aesthetically anesthetizing way of stripping a female (artist or other) of her identity. It sure is a backhanded way of promoting someone.

Always fascinates me the grief female artists are subject to compared to their male counterparts. Its not intentional, just thoughtless.

Having said that I'm looking forward to this.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org