Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

mangry
Little Ghost

Re: Olivia Jean - Bathtub Love Killings

Post by mangry »

mojoryan wrote: I don't take exception to her grabbing ahold of the TMR train and going for the ride-hell, I would too. What I take exception with is what seems like TMR trying to sell her as something she's not. Why not just be upfront? I know we disagree about her level of virtuosity, and that's ok, but just know that's where my opinion rests-it just seems insulting. Insulting to her and insulting to TMR fans. Granted, I could be totally reading her wrong, but being a lifelong musician tends to give me a pretty high comfort level with discerning musical truth from fiction.
Maybe they're just trying to get the word out to the large amount of JW fans who don't actually follow the TMR stable? I dunno, I felt like it was meant to introduce OJ to those who are new to the TMR world. I think there are a lot of those people.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

She's talented, stage presence comes with time. I'm willing to give her a shot. Plus we might get a show at TMR from Her.
I would be nervous as hell on stage too .... After a good tour. A real tour !!! She might just be a female JW. Who knows. Give it a chance. Nothing to loose.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

Stl_ben wrote:
mangry wrote:Wow, I disagree with most of you guys about that video. It actually made me want to buy the record when the soundcloud clips did not. Yeah, JW is gonna have a heavy hand in the production of the album, but I actually do think she's quite a strong player. She definitely has a distinct melodic sensibility that comes up in the BB and in those clips from the new album, both vocally and on the guitar. I thought her playing was great at the BB release show a few years back. Having seen her perform with Wanda, JW, BB, I can attest that she held her own musically. As far as stage presence goes, maybe that is lacking a bit. Maybe she's in the zone, maybe she's nervous...but musician and performer are two different things. Most of us with musical talent but no stage presence don't get a shot, so kudos to her.

And, call me a pig, but she is a beautiful woman and I won't mind having that album cover in my house. 8-)
+1
+1
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Always fascinates me the grief female artists are subject to compared to their male counterparts. Its not intentional, just thoughtless.
I don't think that plays into any of our thought processes here.
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

BTW, part of that Merry Widow clip sounds like a made-in-USA-bossa-nova version of the "but baby I won't joke with you" part of Black Bat Licorice to you folks too?
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

rsimms3 wrote:
woodisgood wrote:Holy Toldeo—the comments section in the Nashville Scene piece . . . BRUTAL.
Just read them....DAAAAYYYYYUUUUMMMM!
Fucking hysterical.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

I've got nothing against OJ, but this is the worst album title I've heard in a LONG, LONG TIME!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

IDK - Bathtub Love = Good Time !!!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

Hope she doe's a tour to support this album...
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

mojoryan wrote:
anonymousbrunette wrote: Always fascinates me the grief female artists are subject to compared to their male counterparts. Its not intentional, just thoughtless.
Ara, dear, I think you know me better than that-gender doesn't mean squat to me.
Of course I do. But I was referring rather to the handing of OJ's public image by TMR.

I was disappointed in how TBBs were "marketed". Never felt each musician was given the respect they deserved. So when I hastily saw the first promo photo for her solo debut, I was put off by her doppelgänger. But the joke's on me because the promo photo seems to be two different photos of OJ mirrored.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Didn't read that article, I just listened to 3 soundcloud samples and I got the impression that both tracks were written by jack and could easily be part of the Lazaretto sessions.
Anyway, never been a huge Belles fan but if TMR sells the lavander colored 12" at novelties store I will buy it.
That says a lot about me :lol:
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

It's true that we feel the hand of Jack, but I like it, I Really like it. They say that they will sell color vinyl at third man records. I know it's important to attract people in the shop but it will be awesome that vault member could have access at the shop too. Over sea it's difficult to have some rarities of TMR.
luccamezz wrote:BTW, part of that Merry Widow clip sounds like a made-in-USA-bossa-nova version of the "but baby I won't joke with you" part of Black Bat Licorice to you folks too?
:lol: So true. I listened in the same time and this is similar.
Quexzea
Little Bird

Post by Quexzea »

I'm down for this! I really enjoyed the Black Belles album, (for what it is) it's great for putting on while cleaning house or at a party. People always flip over it. Does anyone know where I can pre-order it? I din't find a link on TMR. Also, someone mentioned a 35% off coupon that they haven't used. Was I supposed to get one as a vault member?
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

35off is for international customers because during the last VP, some of us had taxes with the value to the package. They wrote 54$ and not 18$. So TMR send us a coupon discount.
Quexzea
Little Bird

Post by Quexzea »

Mick III wrote:35off is for international customers because during the last VP, some of us had taxes with the value to the package. They wrote 54$ and not 18$. So TMR send us a coupon discount.

Thank you for answering me Mick! It sucks to hear about that mess up.