Third Man Books

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Third Man Books

Post by rsimms3 »

http://www.thirdmanbooks.com

http://www.nastylittleman.com/
THIRD MAN RECORDS INTRODUCES NEW PUBLISHING WING: THIRD MAN BOOKS

LANGUAGE LESSONS: VOLUME 1 (TMR269) BOX SET FEATURING 321-PAGE HARDBOUND BOOK, TWO VINYL LPs & MORE

Available For Pre-Order Now at Third Man Books, In Stores August 5th

LL:V1
LL:V1

At long last Third Man Records and Third Man Books are very proud to present their first commercially available book, Language Lessons: Volume I. Though the term book, in this case, may actually be a bit limiting considering what this whole package actually contains… Want to hear more? Read on.

Language Lessons is a 321 page hardbound book, co-edited by Chet Weise and Third Man’s own Ben Swank, full of contemporary poetry and prose including over 20 award winning and / or nominated contemporary poets and authors such as Dale Ray Phillips, a Pulitzer Prize nominee in fiction, C.D. Wright, a National Book Award finalist and National Book Critics Circle winner in poetry, and Adrian Matejka, a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize finalist in poetry. Language Lessons is two vinyl LPs of jazz, psychdelic-punk, poetry, blues and pop from artists such as William Tyler, Destruction Unit, Ken Vandermark, Sampson Starkweather and more. Language Lessons is 5 pieces of frameable broadsides of poems by C.D. Wright, Frank Stanford, Brian Barker, Jake Adam York and Chet Weise with original art from former Big Boys guitartist Tim Kerr, one-time Hate illustrator Jim Blanchard, intertwangle-ist folk artist Butch Anthony and more. That’s a lot of bang for your buck… and it all comes housed in a hard-case clothbound sleeve. Has any other record label ever created such a thing? Are we mad?!

We are not mad. As previously mentioned, LL:VI will be Third Man Books first commercially available tome and signifies a strong intent for Third Man entering the universe of publishing. Third Man Books, like Language Lessons, will be fearless, imaginative, and eclectic. We hope to be a welcome addition to what is already a very compelling and thrilling independent American literary landscape.

Language Lessons: Volume I is now available for pre-sale direct from Third Man and will be available in discerning book and record stores the world over from August 5th.

For those attending Newport Folk Festival this weekend, you’ll get the first opportunity for a glimpse into LL:V1. Join LL:V1 contributors for excerpt readings on Saturday, July 26th at the festival. Featured contributors include Zachary Schomburg, Joshua Marie Wilkinson, Janaka Stucky, Sampson Starkweather, Paige Taggart, Kendra Decolo, and Chet Weise. For more information as it becomes available, keep an eye on http://www.newportfolk.org/lineup/satur ... ge-lessons and https://www.facebook.com/ThirdManRecords.

LANGUAGE LESSONS: VOLUME I

* The Language Lessons: Volume I box set includes a hardbound book of contemporary poetry and prose, two vinyl LPs of jazz, psychedelic-punk, poetry, blues and pop, and 5 pieces of hangable art all housed in a hard-case clothbound sleeve.

* In 321 pages, the book includes over 20 award winning and / or nominated contemporary poets and authors such as Dale Ray Phillips, a Pulitzer Prize nominee in fiction, C.D. Wright, a National Book Award finalist in poetry, and Adrian Matejka, a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize finalist in poetry. And, almost as interestingly, many in the book will be published for the first time in their lives.

* To hang on the wall, five frameable broadsides of poems by C.D. Wright, Frank Stanford, Brian Barker, Jake Adam York and Chet Weise, with original art by former Big Boys guitarist Tim Kerr, one-time Hate illustrator Jim Blanchard, intertwangle-ist folk artist Butch Anthony, and more.

* Features unpublished work by Frank Stanford, Jake Adam York, C.D. Wright, Steve Stern, Sampson Starkweather, Joshua Marie Wilkinson, bemsilr brigham, TJ Jarrett, Janaka Stucky, Sommer Browning, Gaylord Brewer, Dan Boehl, Ben Mirov, Daniel Lucca Pujol, William Miller and Chet Weise.

* Features unheard music by William Tyler, Destruction Unit, Paul “Wine” Jones, and Ken Vandermark.

* Nonfiction from punk rock progenitors Richard Hell and Tav Falco.

* The occupations of the anthology’s contributors range from teachers, morticians, librarians, software developers, actors, and taco chefs to bartenders, farmers, musicians, and parents. Although from all over America (and beyond), almost 90% of the contributors read in Nashville at a DIY series called Poetry Sucks.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Re: Third Man Books

Post by knoxvle »

They were selling those Language Books on RSD at TMR
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Yeah, from what I've heard they've sold them in the store for quite a while. Several folks waiting for online ordering, so hopefully this makes their day.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Gojikranz
Little Bird

Post by Gojikranz »

do the records have a tmr number? i presume so but always curious. looks pretty cool.
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Post by knoxvle »

Gojikranz wrote:do the records have a tmr number? i presume so but always curious. looks pretty cool.
I think it's TMR 269 if i'm not mistaken.
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

Looks interesting and the price is right so I put in an order. Thanks for the heads up.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I wonder if anywhere in the UK is importing this (looks like it given the "world over" comment). I am intrrrrrrigued.
Patient B1003
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

If Jack White can get more people reading poetry that'd be pretty sweet.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I've had mine since RSD.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ What do you think of it, Ryan?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

So far, so good. I haven't made it all the way through yet.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If I'd known it was in the shop at RSD, I probably would have snagged one then. Right now I'm too deep into touring expenses, gonna have to wait and hope that it's still around a handful of months from now.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I'm still messing with my Paramount Box and I figure I might be through with it by the time the next one comes out. I got 2 books I need to read now. I'm hoping it's available for quite a while as well. I'm not a big poetry person but who knows, maybe that can be changed. Have not been exposed to much.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
MedozK
Little Cream Soda

Post by MedozK »

Does anyone know where to find the track listing for the LPs? I really liked Mystery Twins'-The River, JP5's-Wait For It, and Destruction Unit's-Night Loner. Just would like to know more about the other tracks.

Edit - Never mind, my dumbass just found the listing on the back of the plain jacket...its in a dark font on the black cover :lol:
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Third Man Books is pleased to announce the forthcoming publication of THE TRUTH IS WE ARE PERFECT (April 14), the debut full-length collection of poems by Janaka Stucky and TMB’s first single-author title.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-m ... ka-stucky/