Third Man Books

scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Re: Third Man Books

Post by scoliosispony »

Alabama Woody wrote:I'm still messing with my Paramount Box and I figure I might be through with it by the time the next one comes out. I got 2 books I need to read now. I'm hoping it's available for quite a while as well. I'm not a big poetry person but who knows, maybe that can be changed. Have not been exposed to much.
Check out Bukowski. His voice is very plain spoken and the poetry isn't as focused on form and technique as other poetry. It's more raw. I think you could dig Bukowski as a Jack fan.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Book launch party in Brooklyn NYC on Friday 20 March.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/book-la ... ty-in-nyc/
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I didn't think to look in Records and Merch and created a thread about TMB yesterday in General Discussion. Could a mod please merge my post over here? http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=11368 Sorry!
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

scoliosispony wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I'm still messing with my Paramount Box and I figure I might be through with it by the time the next one comes out. I got 2 books I need to read now. I'm hoping it's available for quite a while as well. I'm not a big poetry person but who knows, maybe that can be changed. Have not been exposed to much.
Check out Bukowski. His voice is very plain spoken and the poetry isn't as focused on form and technique as other poetry. It's more raw. I think you could dig Bukowski as a Jack fan.
Essential modern masterpiece:

http://www.amazon.com/Actual-Air-David- ... actual+air
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

woodisgood wrote:
scoliosispony wrote:
Essential modern masterpiece:

http://www.amazon.com/Actual-Air-David- ... actual+air
Thank you both for your suggestions, I will try to broaden my horizons :thumbup:
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

The Truth Is We Are Perfect by Janaka Stucky is up for pre-order for $11 (reg price $15.95).

http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/janak ... re-perfect
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/pizza-p ... volt-love/
Third Man will be at the AWP (Association of Writers & Writing Programs) Festival from April 8-11. In addition to participating in the conference and book fair, Third Man will be hosting parties at two FREE offsite events featuring Merge and TMR recording artist William Tyler, Third Man Books authors Janaka Stucky and Sampson Starkweather, plus DJ sets by TMR's own Ben Swank.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/pizza-p ... volt-love/
Third Man will be at the AWP (Association of Writers & Writing Programs) Festival from April 8-11. In addition to participating in the conference and book fair, Third Man will be hosting parties at two FREE offsite events featuring Merge and TMR recording artist William Tyler, Third Man Books authors Janaka Stucky and Sampson Starkweather, plus DJ sets by TMR's own Ben Swank.
Nice catch. I read that announcement so quickly that I totally glossed over the three words in front of his name. Looking forward to that release, he was great at Bridgestone.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kali Durga wrote:
koala wrote:http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/pizza-p ... volt-love/
Nice catch. I read that announcement so quickly that I totally glossed over the three words in front of his name. Looking forward to that release, he was great at Bridgestone.
Didn't he do a live 7" before Peter Walker's LP? I assumed that's what the reference was to, not full blown TMR release...I doubt Merge would give him up too easily.
Patient B1003
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

TMR would still consider him one of their recording artists, they've done that with others who've only done Blue Series and Live Series. I don't remember seeing a Live Series from William, but I'm gonna have to go look now just in case.

Just checked. Nope, no Live Series from him yet. If one was recorded, hopefully it'll be released soon.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kali Durga wrote:TMR would still consider him one of their recording artists, they've done that with others who've only done Blue Series and Live Series. I don't remember seeing a Live Series from William, but I'm gonna have to go look now just in case.

Just checked. Nope, no Live Series from him yet. If one was recorded, hopefully it'll be released soon.
Yeah, the Peter Walker LP isn't out yet either...I guess they'll be out at about the same time...
Patient B1003
nashville_ned
Little Bird

Post by nashville_ned »

He's also in the Language Lessons LP.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aaaaah, that's interesting to know. I still haven't sprung for that. Maybe it'll be my first purchase with the 10% discount.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

'If You Don’t Have A Picture Then You Didn’t Catch A Fish is Dirtbombs drummer Patrick Pantano’s visual diary of life inside and outside one of Detroit's greatest bands. Includes unpublished photos of The White Stripes, The Kills, TV on the Radio, Spiritualized, The Soledad Brothers and more. A very limited edition of 250 copies available only from TMB/TMR. About the book, Pantano says, “. . . Fish is not only a tour diary of photos, but also, a photo journal of my life while in The Dirtbombs. There are images from tour, but also images from around tour; before leaving; after coming home; at home trying to figure out what I was going to do next; staged portraits I was working on; snapshots from evenings out; pictures of bands from Detroit. And then of course shows. Hotels, beds, backstages, giant spiders. The images for Fish are shot largely on film and date from 2000–2013.”'

$40

http://thirdmanstore.com/miscellaneous/ ... h?___SID=U