Sun Ray Roy Orbison pressing anomaly

scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Sun Ray Roy Orbison pressing anomaly

Post by scoliosispony »

Anyone know what the deal with that spot is? I picked this up at the Rolling Record Store at Bonnaroo and just noticed it when I went to play it just now. At first I thought it was sharpie, but it's got the feel of vinyl, and I can feel the difference in the texture of the label, but the transition from the spot to the label feels smooth, not like the label is just cut wrong, though my assumption is that's what happened. Anyone seen this before?
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Sun Ray Roy Orbison pressing anomaly

Post by arewhyehen »

Looks like one of the black vinyl pellets used to make the splatter was on top of the label when it was pressed
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

That's interesting. I thought they affixed those afterward. Do they only do that sometimes? I know that's what they did on the Paramount box LP's.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The Paramount labels were applied by hand because those labels are gold foil and would have been ruined in the pressing process. Labels are usually pressed into the biscuit by machine-- Press rekkid, affix label, all in one fell smoosh.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

I've got random black dots on a couple labels for sunrays. They are more in the middle of the label than the inside/outisde edges
mumbercycle
Little Bird

Post by mumbercycle »

arewhyehen wrote:Looks like one of the black vinyl pellets used to make the splatter was on top of the label when it was pressed

+1