TMR-245 Neil Young - A Letter Home

dunedin
Little Ghost

Re: TMR-245 Neil Young - A Letter Home

Post by dunedin »

My Popmarket box just dropped on my doorstep. I got the same photo as Woodisgood.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10217&start=180#p222338
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Man, that photo/lyric book is so very beautiful.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I've avoided digging deeply into this thread in deference to the arrival of my box set.
After leaving my house at 7:30 this morning to go to work, going straight to a gig from work, and getting home at 1:45 a.m., there was the box set waiting for me. Good lord is it beautiful! I cannot wait to spin this thing when I get up.
Prolific.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:Man, that photo/lyric book is so very beautiful.
It really is. On my first listen I sat there and read the lyrics as the songs played (There are a ton of differences in what the lyrics say and what Neil actually sings) and also looked through the photos. It's an awesome book.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

mojoryan wrote:I've avoided digging deeply into this thread in deference to the arrival of my box set.
After leaving my house at 7:30 this morning to go to work, going straight to a gig from work, and getting home at 1:45 a.m., there was the box set waiting for me. Good lord is it beautiful! I cannot wait to spin this thing when I get up.
Prolific.
One of my favourites in awhile. So happy to have a Neil release and a Jack release so close together...I am a happy man
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote: (There are a ton of differences in what the lyrics say and what Neil actually sings)
Ah, interesting. I noticed the same with Lazaretto. I love it when musicians do that.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote: (There are a ton of differences in what the lyrics say and what Neil actually sings)
Ah, interesting. I noticed the same with Lazaretto. I love it when musicians do that.
Same here...you should listen front to back and follow along in the book.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ I'll have to do that after I get a new turntable.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

It's a wonderful record from start to finish, but "My Hometown" just kills me. I liked the original ok, but it was never one of my top Springsteen songs. Neil's version moves me on a whole different level.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

dunedin wrote:It's a wonderful record from start to finish, but "My Hometown" just kills me. I liked the original ok, but it was never one of my top Springsteen songs. Neil's version moves me on a whole different level.
I agree. I actually like his rendition of many of the songs more than a lot of the originals. It's incredible that he can take songs by some of the greatest like Dylan and Lightfoot and Springsteen and make their songs even better than they did.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:It's incredible that he can take songs by some of the greatest like Dylan and Lightfoot and Springsteen and make their songs even better than they did.
Sounds like someone else we know around here...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Who's that? Haha. I don't think I know anyone else who's covered big names like that and done it better than the originals ;) Sorry, I love Jack, but Neil is in a whole different world.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

arewhyehen wrote:Who's that? Haha. I don't think I know anyone else who's covered big names like that and done it better than the originals ;) Sorry, I love Jack, but Neil is in a whole different world.
(Sorry to derail...)Jeff Buckley. Covered Dylan, Cohen, Simone, Piaf, Van Morrison...etc. All better than the original. ;)
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

mojoryan wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Who's that? Haha. I don't think I know anyone else who's covered big names like that and done it better than the originals ;) Sorry, I love Jack, but Neil is in a whole different world.
(Sorry to derail...)Jeff Buckley. Covered Dylan, Cohen, Simone, Piaf, Van Morrison...etc. All better than the original. ;)
Jeff who?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

mojoryan wrote:
I am going to have to check those out today. I am very interested to hear these covers.