TMR-245 Neil Young - A Letter Home

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: TMR-245 Neil Young - A Letter Home

Post by arewhyehen »

trickster wrote:For International members who ordered from amazon.ca, they shipped with UPS.

My order shipped yesterday and in a little more than 24h it ended up in Germany via Concord, ON, Canada/Mississauga, ON, Canada/Louisville, KY, United States.

That said, I think I am screwed. I didnt know this was being shipped by UPS.
Let's see how much will the customs taxes will be.
Ya, UPS will F%$K you in the butt.

I refuse to deal with them.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Pop market now says 'back ordered' on my order...sigh
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Jettkoral wrote:Pop market now says 'back ordered' on my order...sigh
Be patient young grasshopper
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

arewhyehen wrote:
'Jack White Neil Young deluxe Boxset' and 'patience' don't go together, Ryan!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Jettkoral wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
'Jack White Neil Young deluxe Boxset' and 'patience' don't go together, Ryan!
That is true!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I got my box set in today!! Came home early to listen to it.

I listened to the audiophile version front to back and then watched the entire DVD and now just got finished listening to all the original songs Neil covered. I really like the rendition he did of a lot of them. He didn't just play the songs how they were originally done. I enjoyed his version better than some of the originals, but all were great.

Now listening to A Letter Home again..

Honestly can't believe how much I like this release. Probably one of my favourites in years..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Moi, aussi. But for the price they offered, I'm not going to complain too much about having to wait. I've got the basic album to listen to until then, not to mention I'll be busy with Lazaretto within less than two weeks.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

How did the HiFi version sound Ryan ?
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:How did the HiFi version sound Ryan ?
It was great. Definitely not studio quality, but I think in this case with this album, you don't want it to be. You can tell it's in a small space and as I listen, I just picture him in the recording booth. Also, just remember that most of the songs he is covering are 40+ years old and that just fits with the whole thing too.
I honestly think this is my favourite release in many years. It is my two favourite artists working together (which I know they are yours as well) and that just makes it incredible to me. It's also just so unique to what has been done and the box set was beautifully done. You are going to like it.

I sat down for about 4 hours listening to everything last night...now starting again today :D

I suggest going through the package and listening to it all...6", booth recording, audiophile and then dvd....and then look up all the originals and listen to them too. See how Neil's version differs from it. He does a great job with all of them.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Good deal, maybe someday Pop Market will send me one !!! Waiting ...
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Thanks for all the info !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Missed UPS delivery today from amazon.ca. No complaints about the speed, but they want £25 for customs, vat and handling. I'd expected this, but UPS handling fee is extortionate - almost twice what the vat and duty are. I suppose it'll still only have cost about £65-70, which is less than half of the amazon.co.uk price. Should get it tomorrow.

Incidentally, I'm highly amused by the 1 star reviews on amazon complaining about sound quality - NY was pretty open about the sound, and snippets have been available to hear pre-release. There's no excuse for not knowing that sound quality is what it is.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Chiefbrody wrote:Missed UPS delivery today from amazon.ca. No complaints about the speed, but they want £25 for customs, vat and handling. I'd expected this, but UPS handling fee is extortionate - almost twice what the vat and duty are. I suppose it'll still only have cost about £65-70, which is less than half of the amazon.co.uk price. Should get it tomorrow.

Incidentally, I'm highly amused by the 1 star reviews on amazon complaining about sound quality - NY was pretty open about the sound, and snippets have been available to hear pre-release. There's no excuse for not knowing that sound quality is what it is.
That is too bad about the extra fees!! UPS is terrible for customs that way. I have been screwed over by them many, many times. I now refuse to deal with them for international orders. There have been a few times they have charged me almost as much money in fees as the cost of the record/item. I was also charged $35 on something that was a free gift from a friend...

So a few times I have called them and cancelled an order with them and then just got it shipped to a friends house in the USA and drove to pick it up. I am only 2 hours from the border, so if something costs me $25 to ship and $20-30 in fees, I can drive to the USA for the same price or cheaper (VW Jetta...woohoo) and get it myself. It also gives me an excuse to go down there shopping for more records at shops I never get to see. It is also my way of saying F#$K you to them and that I refuse to use UPS. DHL is even worse, sadly...
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

I wish I had he option of driving! Still much better than buying it over here - £135 seems to be 'normal'.

Unfortunately I was hoping to sneak it past my wife so she wouldn't know, as I'm talking to her about tightening our belts and then buying records I don't 'need'! Pretty difficult now - thanks UPS! :lol:
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Chiefbrody wrote:Missed UPS delivery today from amazon.ca. No complaints about the speed, but they want £25 for customs, vat and handling. I'd expected this, but UPS handling fee is extortionate - almost twice what the vat and duty are. I suppose it'll still only have cost about £65-70, which is less than half of the amazon.co.uk price. Should get it tomorrow.

Are the snippets the audiophile version?
Are the reviews you mention for that version?
If so glad I have sat this one out