Pictures

Please discuss the database in this forum.
colditz
Little Acorn

Re: Pictures

Post by colditz »

Automatic sounds good to me -- and I'd even make the logo more visible than that - make the grey more of a white ?
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

colditz wrote:Automatic sounds good to me -- and I'd even make the logo more visible than that - make the grey more of a white ?
It's transparent, but the opacity can be adjusted to any level. It is a fine line making it work on any background colour, which is especially critical if it's automatically placed in the same position on every picture.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

IamFrank007 wrote:What is the format for data base pics ? I took pics and was going to add a pile items, but would not allow JPEG.
I am off work for the winter, and have alot of spare time
I was having the same problem. If you change it to .jpg it'll work. I don't know what the issue is. to change it you can just open it in paint and then 'Save As' and add .jpg to the name.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

I had the opposite problem. .jpg wouldn't work so I had to save them as .jpeg.

Of course, I haven't tried to upload anything in several days.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

oh, you know what, I think you're right. JPEG works, JPG doesn't.. I had planned to do a lot of uploading yesterday but then I figured out that my camera wasn't really that good and taking pictures was time consuming to get them in focus etc. so I only ended up doing three-four items.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

IamFrank007 wrote:What is the format for data base pics ? I took pics and was going to add a pile items, but would not allow JPEG.
This issue doesn't seem to exist anymore. If you have any problems uploading anything just give me a shout and I'll get it fixed. There should no longer be any picture uploading issues... just the size restriction..
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

I'm not very good with computers, but have been able to add/ change avatars etc. I didnt see the ICLAB DVD on the site and would like to add it. Whats the best way to go? Thanks, Greg
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

just go here: http://www.whiteswirl.com/index.php?action=add and fill out the form, it's easy. the picture just needs to be under a certain size. if it's too big open it in paint go to "Image" "Stretch/Skew" and shrink it by 50% each way. It should be small enough after that.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

higherlimits wrote:just go here: http://www.whiteswirl.com/index.php?action=add and fill out the form, it's easy. the picture just needs to be under a certain size. if it's too big open it in paint go to "Image" "Stretch/Skew" and shrink it by 50% each way. It should be small enough after that.
The actual dimensions don't matter, it's the file size that matters. Reducing the dimensions as mentioned will get the file size down, but using a picture editing program to adjust the compression would be better. If you resize with Paint your picture will lose detail and become jagged looking in the lines etc. I would look for a site that will adjust the compression for you by uploading/downloading instead of using Paint. If you can, use Paint as a last resort.

Example - I uploaded a scan of the "I Feel Strange" single, the size is over 2000x2000 but by changing the compression in Photoshop I could get it under the file size limit.
http://www.whiteswirl.com/uploaded_imag ... 630123.jpg
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

higherlimits wrote:just go here: http://www.whiteswirl.com/index.php?action=add and fill out the form, it's easy. the picture just needs to be under a certain size. if it's too big open it in paint go to "Image" "Stretch/Skew" and shrink it by 50% each way. It should be small enough after that.
Thanks for replying. The data fields have been filled out already, there just isnt a picture of the DVD case and disc itself and I wanted to add additional pictures.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

oh

Go here: http://www.whiteswirl.com/index.php?act ... &view=info

And under the picture there is an 'upload a new image' and you can upload whatever you want.

To see it afterwards you click on the existing picture and a picture-viewer will popout.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

rsimms3 wrote:
The actual dimensions don't matter, it's the file size that matters. Reducing the dimensions as mentioned will get the file size down, but using a picture editing program to adjust the compression would be better. If you resize with Paint your picture will lose detail and become jagged looking in the lines etc. I would look for a site that will adjust the compression for you by uploading/downloading instead of using Paint. If you can, use Paint as a last resort.

Example - I uploaded a scan of the "I Feel Strange" single, the size is over 2000x2000 but by changing the compression in Photoshop I could get it under the file size limit.
http://www.whiteswirl.com/uploaded_imag ... 630123.jpg
Yeah, I don't really have the time to upload/download the pictures and I don't have any other photoediting software.. I know it's the worst way to do it but it's also the easiest..
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I completely understand, a lot of folks don't have the time or means for it, but if others read through the thread I wanted them to know that there are different ways to get the file size down for uploading here at the site. I am a bit of a quality freak so I try to keep it as high as possible. Just having the database is a blessing and I thank all the admins and mods for it!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

i dont know what good the watermarks will honestly do,, if the seller does have the item and will ship it then who cares if they use the swirl pictures,, if they dont have the item and its a fraud they can easily either 1. find another picture from ebay, popsike, thirdman or 2. remove the watermark (for example the thornbills watermark above was put on the black shirt, using the basic microsoft paint you can erase that watermark in about 20 seconds),, even in those cases when they dont ship, ebay fraud protection steps in so it sucks but isnt the end of the world..

and even in the case you put the watermark on there and the person cant take it off, unless its pretty big, a lot of buyers that arent on the swirl wont know what the watermark means and would bid anyway,,

anyway thats my 2 cents,, if you do go ahead with the watermark, try putting it infront of a part of the cover / record that isnt a solid color, so atleast its harder to remove
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

higherlimits wrote:
This issue doesn't seem to exist anymore. If you have any problems uploading anything just give me a shout and I'll get it fixed. There should no longer be any picture uploading issues... just the size restriction..
Okay, this is FINALLY fixed. The issue was the capitals in the file extension...