Database Suggestions

Please discuss the database in this forum.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Re: Database Suggestions

Post by littleacorn »

When I click on an item it won't go to the item. I have to right click it and open link.
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

littleacorn wrote:When I click on an item it won't go to the item. I have to right click it and open link.
It works fine in my browser.
Try restarting your computer or upgrading your browser
Or do both
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

higherlimits wrote:Sure, okay. For now we've just been focusing on the functionality of the site. We are planning on 'prettying' it up a little. I'll see what we can do. This will take a bit longer than database stuff as I think that's more important right now. once it's working perfectly we can work on the style of the site.
Sounds good. Just wanted to throw in my two bits in as things get examined for changes. I think the database will be extremely useful when folks say they have this or that you can go to it to see what they are talking about and there is 1 resource to see everything. Great job by all the staff.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

littleacorn wrote:When I click on an item it won't go to the item. I have to right click it and open link.
I've noticed this sometimes. I think if you click the picture it doesn't work, you have to click a blank space. It's something that needs to be looked into.

It's probably an Internet Explorer issue, the site was optimized in Firefox I believe.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

A FAQ would be good as well with stuff like "What formats for pictures do you accept? What is the optimal format/size?" or "What do I do if I made a mistake on something I submitted for addition to the database?" Also, a guidelines for what you will/won't accept. Are bootlegs okay if not official?

I haven't seen an answer yet to the earlier question regarding picture format. What is the best format/size to have good pictures but at the same time conserve resources for the site? I'll upload some scans I have of stuff to add to/create new listings but wanted to be considerate of space.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

I didn't see an option for multipules of the same item.Like, if you have 2 or more of the exact same record.
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Umm.. I didn't realize that was required actually... Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I was thinking about having more information you can note for yourself for you collection like price paid etc.. That could be included in that.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Maybe being able to view MY PROFILE in more of a table view so you don't have to scroll down forever?

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

Either way, it's really nice, good job everyone!
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

runofthemill wrote:Maybe being able to view MY PROFILE in more of a table view so you don't have to scroll down forever?

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

[] [] [] [] []

Either way, it's really nice, good job everyone!

Yep just like on EB.
I have it on the top of the list of things to be done.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

Can you add items to your own collection without submitting them generally?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

No, an item must be in the public database before you can add it to your collection.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

chris865 wrote:Can you add items to your own collection without submitting them generally?
Whatcha keeping from us? ;)
appleblossom
Little Bird

Post by appleblossom »

I noticed whilst trying to add items to the database that it only appears to accept the original price of items in dollars. As many of the items were originally sold in currencies other than dollars, the GITD London items as an example and the entire XL catalogue, might it be a little more inclusive to maybe accept non U.S items in the currencies they were originally sold in? Also I can't remember or don't know the original price of most of the items which I've bought over several years, which means I can't really enter them onto the data base. Would it be too much trouble for you if people to entered items without knowing the original prices?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

appleblossom wrote:I noticed whilst trying to add items to the database that it only appears to accept the original price of items in dollars. As many of the items were originally sold in currencies other than dollars, the GITD London items as an example and the entire XL catalogue, might it be a little more inclusive to maybe accept non U.S items in the currencies they were originally sold in? Also I can't remember or don't know the original price of most of the items which I've bought over several years, which means I can't really enter them onto the data base. Would it be too much trouble for you if people to entered items without knowing the original prices?
Nope, that's fine, just leave it blank if you can't or enter 0.01. As for multiple currencies I don't think that'll work as then you can't really compare the different items. Just use a currency converter online to figure out what it is in USD.
colditz
Little Acorn

Post by colditz »

The Add Ebay Listing option should check to see if the ebay ID has already been added.

otherwise it will skew the avg price fields, etc.

unfortunately, I added an extra 2 listings on the Drakkar Sauna tri-color (one by mistake, the second as a test).

I also assume that the 'listing' tab shows ebay listings that have not yet ended ?