The pixies

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: The pixies

Post by JonnyH »

nrssab wrote:I'm usually not a Best of Fan.. But this one is great:

But as said before if you are getting into the Pixies any Album will do great. My favorite is Surfer Rosa.
Currently I only own Wave of Mutilation on vinyl but I'll be getting the rest sooner or later in this order:
-Surfer Rosa
-Come on Pilgrim
-Bossanova
-Doolittle
-Trompe le Monde

Anyone know if the live at BBC was released on vinyl?
Discogs does not have a vinyl listing for the BBC sessions.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

TheHen0 wrote:Oh yeah and got one of the best albums of all time signed....
Funny. My best friend had the exact same album signed by Frank/Black outside of the Fine Line Music Cafe the night before their reunion show.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

nrssab wrote:I'm usually not a Best of Fan.. But this one is great:

But as said before if you are getting into the Pixies any Album will do great. My favorite is Surfer Rosa.
Currently I only own Wave of Mutilation on vinyl but I'll be getting the rest sooner or later in this order:
-Surfer Rosa
-Come on Pilgrim
-Bossanova
-Doolittle
-Trompe le Monde

Anyone know if the live at BBC was released on vinyl?
Well that's an excellent order of preference as far as I'm concerned today. Although I'd put Doolittle at the bottom every time.

I don't think they've ever released Live At The BBC on vinyl. If so, it certainly got past me. Although I'm not sure I'd really seek it. But it's an excellent release without a doubt!

Seen the Pixies 3 times now after their 11 year hiatus. Got to say that I would've been fine just seeing them once (after their time off). Frank/Black just doesn't have it anymore. I watch videos of their live performances in their prime years and wish I would've just seen them once in that time. They've sounded okay since they've come back together and toured for quite a few years, but nothing how I'd imagine they were like in their prime. So if you're considering seeing them now today, I'd almost compare it with seeing any washed up band you can see today. Just not the same and could be very disappointing.

Guess Frank/Black wore out his explosive vocal performances performing this every night years ago:

chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

Not sure if UK only but there is a double album on CD of Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim, it's a pretty good place to start............

So funny how the Pixies and Nirvana take me straight back to my teenage years and all the good/bad/dreadful/fantastic things that happened!
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Holy shit - just finished Doolittle & it was awesome. Haven't heard an album that good on first listen in a long time. If that was one of the weaker albums, I'm stoked to hear the rest!
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

I would say Doolittle is their best, closely followed by Surfer Rosa then Bossanova a bit further behind them. Doolittle is my second favourite album of all time and it's one I never lose fascination with. The only album of theirs I can't get into (for some reason) is Trompe Le Monde. The story telling element isn't there, or it seems to have taken the backseat/trunk.

Also check out the B-Sides, they have some crackers. Manta Ray, Dance The Manta Ray, Bailies Walk and Weird At My School are all great.

Edit: Into the White! Another great B-side.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Tonic&Gin wrote:I would say Doolittle is their best, closely followed by Surfer Rosa then Bossanova a bit further behind them. Doolittle is my second favourite album of all time and it's one I never lose fascination with. The only album of theirs I can't get into (for some reason) is Trompe Le Monde. The story telling element isn't there, or it seems to have taken the backseat/trunk.

Also check out the B-Sides, they have some crackers. Manta Ray, Dance The Manta Ray, Bailies Walk and Weird At My School are all great.

Edit: Into the White! Another great B-side.
Doolittle is definitely my favorite. I saw them a few years back when they played the album in it's entirety. It was excellent.
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

I saw them a few years back at Massey Hall during their Dolittle tour. It was my first time seeing them although I had been a fan of theirs for a good 10-15 years. I missed the boat on them when they first came out because I was too young but I really got into them after the end sequence in Fight Club exposed me to them.

I also have a few of Frank Black Frank's (whatever you want to call him) solo stuff. I personally don't like it as much as the Pixies stuff but it's still worth a listen.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

+ 1 for the Doolittle Tour. My last name is Grieves, so I am technically Mr. Grieves :lol:
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Doolittle's my favorite after Surfer Rosa, I can't understand how anyone hates it!
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

TheHen0 wrote:Doolittle's my favorite after Surfer Rosa, I can't understand how anyone hates it!
Totally agree. I just don't think their later stuff comes even close - Trompe Le Monde was a disaster of an album. But Kim Deal was still such a babe back then.
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

icdvet wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:Doolittle's my favorite after Surfer Rosa, I can't understand how anyone hates it!
Totally agree. I just don't think their later stuff comes even close - Trompe Le Monde was a disaster of an album. But Kim Deal was still such a babe back then.
While Doolittle is a great album, i often swap to Surfer Rosa or Come on Pilgrim after the first 5 songs.
Those 5 songs are pretty awesome though.

Death to the Pixies is a fantastic compilation, easy to listen to the whole thing.

Trompe Le Monde??? I've never met a Pixies fan that liked it.
I remember, I think my 14th birthday and a good friend gave me this for my birthday, I was so happy as i didn't have it yet (had not been out long).
I said, i didn't know you had a spare, he said - it's my only copy. I was touched as he was a big Pixies fan. I soon found out why he gave it away.
3 months later, on his birthday, he got it back. I wrote sorry on the cover.
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

chris865 wrote: Trompe Le Monde??? I've never met a Pixies fan that liked it.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It has some okay songs (Alec Eiffel, U-Mass) but it's just not as good great as the others.

A great song, when B-Sides weren't just remixes or throw-away tracks.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Anyone bite the bullet on the Minotaur boxset (the big $500 one with the vinyl & cd's/blu rays)?

Curious if it's worth all the coin. It looks pretty sweet....

Just debating between that and the mofi releases..
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

chris865 wrote:
icdvet wrote:
While Doolittle is a great album, i often swap to Surfer Rosa or Come on Pilgrim after the first 5 songs.
Those 5 songs are pretty awesome though.

Death to the Pixies is a fantastic compilation, easy to listen to the whole thing.

Trompe Le Monde??? I've never met a Pixies fan that liked it.
I remember, I think my 14th birthday and a good friend gave me this for my birthday, I was so happy as i didn't have it yet (had not been out long).
I said, i didn't know you had a spare, he said - it's my only copy. I was touched as he was a big Pixies fan. I soon found out why he gave it away.
3 months later, on his birthday, he got it back. I wrote sorry on the cover.
Wow! Just....wow! Well even though we haven't formerly met, count me in as a pretty dear Pixies fan who LOVES Trompe Le Monde! Too much hate on Trompe. Brings a damn tear to my eye.

To get back on track with chrono_1980, you really can't go wrong with ANY Pixies release. Well, other than their reunion live video releases. They just don't have what they had before. But album-wise, fantastic span of music. Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa have been on my regular rotation since you brought it up.