Re: The pixies

Post by TheHen0 »

Another good one from that show:
Kim was pretty funny that night.
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

One of my favourite 3 bands of all time!!!
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Which album would you fans recommend to start with? I'm thinkin of giving these guys a listen...
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

chrono_1980 wrote:Which album would you fans recommend to start with? I'm thinkin of giving these guys a listen...
surfer rosa or doolittle. Doolittle's a little less weird but probably a good one to start with.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

TheHen0 wrote:
chrono_1980 wrote:Which album would you fans recommend to start with? I'm thinkin of giving these guys a listen...
surfer rosa or doolittle. Doolittle's a little less weird but probably a good one to start with.
Doolittle had good reviews - thanks! Any thoughts on Trompe le Monde?
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

chrono_1980 wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:
I only got it recently. It's very different. There are a few songs ( U Mass, Subbuhcultuh) that I really like off of it but the album as a whole doesn't impress me quite as much as the first ones. I know a bunch of people that really like it, so it's definitely worth a try!
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

TheHen0 wrote:
chrono_1980 wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:
I only got it recently. It's very different. There are a few songs ( U Mass, Subbuhcultuh) that I really like off of it but the album as a whole doesn't impress me quite as much as the first ones. I know a bunch of people that really like it, so it's definitely worth a try!
Sounds good - maybe I'll try doolittle first, and go from there. Cheers
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

chrono_1980 wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:
chrono_1980 wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:
Sounds good - maybe I'll try doolittle first, and go from there. Cheers
Doolittle is a really great album. But you need to start with that giant Pixies vinyl boxset. :D
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

The new one!
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

crimpies wrote:
The new one!
Is there a new album coming out? On their website - it looked like a greatest hits release in 2006 or something, was the last release...
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Thinking of giving them a start!? Well if you're really ready for them, prepare yourself for an long term obsession. I was actually late to the party myself when it comes to the Pixies. But they're certainly towards the top end of favorite bands of all time.

What would a fan recommend? Seriously, any of them! It was mentioned above the vinyl box set. That could be either their original greatest hits (Death To The Pixies) or their most recent monster set Minotaur. But I started with Death To The Pixies as my best friend encouraged me to listen to them and burned a CDR of that and The Purple Tape. Remember I got these right at the time PT was released so he was in Pixies hype mood. From then on it was history.

All albums are worth listening to. I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Would change each and every day. Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa probably have their most natural, raw sound. Which is excellent as to me that's what the Pixies are all about. Doolittle is their most polished, "pop" album that's still very versitile (maybe my least favorite for some reason). Bossanova is a very strange follow-up of Doolittle, but I'd probably take Bossanova over Doolittle any day. Just a cool vibe to that album all together. Heavy reverb and mood throughout. And Trompe Le Monde, my go to album for a long, long time, that's very different as well. Many fans claim it's a Frank Black album with the Pixies logo on it. Definitely has the Frank Black solo vibe to it, but it's still definitely a Pixies album. Spacey, punk, excellent! Just love the opening, title track Trompe Le Monde. It's like you just get sucked into the album from second 1.

Seriously, I could talk for days about the Pixies. Such a fantastic band both artistically and musically.

One of the best parts about their music is you can get all of their original 1st pressing vinyls relatively cheap. And they sound fucking FANTASTIC on vinyl!

Once you get settled in and enjoy some of their material (if not all of it), pick up Live At The BBC. What is it about those darned BBC sessions? I swear, every band sounds better recorded at BBC. But hearing these tracks recorded at BBC will blow your doors off! BIG sound and raw as ever!
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Saw Frank Black solo at Maxwell's, he was amazing! Did a ton of Pixies songs including Where Is My Mind? twice!
Was on stage for 2 hours straight with no break.
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Oh yeah and got one of the best albums of all time signed....
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

I'm usually not a Best of Fan.. But this one is great:

But as said before if you are getting into the Pixies any Album will do great. My favorite is Surfer Rosa.
Currently I only own Wave of Mutilation on vinyl but I'll be getting the rest sooner or later in this order:
-Surfer Rosa
-Come on Pilgrim
-Bossanova
-Doolittle
-Trompe le Monde

Anyone know if the live at BBC was released on vinyl?
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".