Bob Dylan

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: Bob Dylan

Post by JonnyH »

mordecaibrown wrote:So what's the consensus about seeing him? Got a shot to go and I don't wanna walk away shaking my head.
His band is awesome, and when he gets behind the organ it's still magic. His voice is real shot though. The show I saw a few years back was hard to sit through at points.

But hey if you go you can scratch him off the "People to See" list.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

This last tour was the best I have seen him in about 10 years, but still rough. I would say go for it and make up your own opinion, some people think he still has it live.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
bkramer10
Little Ghost

Post by bkramer10 »

mordecaibrown wrote:So what's the consensus about seeing him? Got a shot to go and I don't wanna walk away shaking my head.
I wouldn't say its the best show, primarily because of his voice. The music is great though. I usually see him whenever I get the chance since you never know when it will be the last time.

If its the Americanarama tour, definitely go. Even if you are disappointed by Bob, My Morning Jacket and Wilco put on great shows.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

See him--his voice was never his strong point anyway, and he's got a great band right now.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

Yep. See him.
mordecaibrown
Little Cream Soda

Post by mordecaibrown »

bkramer10 wrote:
I wouldn't say its the best show, primarily because of his voice. The music is great though. I usually see him whenever I get the chance since you never know when it will be the last time.

If its the Americanarama tour, definitely go. Even if you are disappointed by Bob, My Morning Jacket and Wilco put on great shows.
Thanks guys.
Yep thats the tour.
So far this summer it will be Bob, Robert Plant, and Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field.
Anything else I should add? Don't wanna hi-jack the thread so be sure to put something like this---

"If you don't see BOB DYLAN you might wanna check out ______ because he does a good cover of ______."

or maybe I should start separate thread. Either way...
Thinking is the best way to travel. - The Moody Blues
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

:o While I truly appreciate the historical significance of Jack's Elvis record, this makes me drool...imprinting will cause that, I guess.

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2015/06/amoe ... nTestPress
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

G-squared wrote::o While I truly appreciate the historical significance of Jack's Elvis record, this makes me drool...imprinting will cause that, I guess.

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2015/06/amoe ... nTestPress
Finally figured out what to do with that extra $12K I just had laying around! :thumbup:
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So, after hearing his music regularly during my childhood but ignoring, then hearing it periodically through my adulthood and ignoring it, I've finally decided it's time to dive into Dylan. Picked up Nashville Skyline and Blonde On Blonde last weekend. Haven't gotten to Blonde On Blonde yet because I can't stop listening to Nashville Skyline, but think I'll be ready to transition in a day or so. Any tips or recommendations as I make my way through? What should I look for next?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

Kali Durga wrote:So, after hearing his music regularly during my childhood but ignoring, then hearing it periodically through my adulthood and ignoring it, I've finally decided it's time to dive into Dylan. Picked up Nashville Skyline and Blonde On Blonde last weekend. Haven't gotten to Blonde On Blonde yet because I can't stop listening to Nashville Skyline, but think I'll be ready to transition in a day or so. Any tips or recommendations as I make my way through? What should I look for next?
Congrats. My personal favorite is Bringing it all Back Home, but I'm sure you'll get all kinds of opinions on not only everyone's favorite Dylan album, but also their favorite Dylan period. Obviously Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited loom large in the Dylan discography.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Highway 61 keeps coming up everywhere I ask, so I'll probably look for that next.

I was surprised at how romantic Nashville Skyline is. My impression of Dylan over the years has been all folk songs and protest songs and cryptic lyrics. This is pretty direct stuff. How much of a shock is Blonde On Blonde going to be?

Oh, and I found a cool Nashville Scene article about Blonde On Blonde last night when I was looking for info about Charlie McCoy-- http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=2420805
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Kali Durga wrote:So, after hearing his music regularly during my childhood but ignoring, then hearing it periodically through my adulthood and ignoring it, I've finally decided it's time to dive into Dylan. Picked up Nashville Skyline and Blonde On Blonde last weekend. Haven't gotten to Blonde On Blonde yet because I can't stop listening to Nashville Skyline, but think I'll be ready to transition in a day or so. Any tips or recommendations as I make my way through? What should I look for next?
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan might just be my favorite, and Highway 61 Revisited is a close second
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

gst510 wrote:
Congrats. My personal favorite is Bringing it all Back Home, but I'm sure you'll get all kinds of opinions on not only everyone's favorite Dylan album, but also their favorite Dylan period. Obviously Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited loom large in the Dylan discography.
You hit the nail on the head. That's what I love about Bob is that he is in a constant state of evolution. I have such a hard time picking a favorite record simply because the periods are all so distinct. Having said that, I probably go back to the early/mid 60's and mid-70's stuff most often. "Positively 4th Street" and "Idiot Wind" are the best put-down songs ever written. Scathing.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

dylnfan wrote:
gst510 wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. That's what I love about Bob is that he is in a constant state of evolution. I have such a hard time picking a favorite record simply because the periods are all so distinct. Having said that, I probably go back to the early/mid 60's and mid-70's stuff most often. "Positively 4th Street" and "Idiot Wind" are the best put-down songs ever written. Scathing.
I've always been partial to "Masters of War" :)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

"Visions of Johanna" is easily a top ten song for me, and a top three of Bob's.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”