Bob Dylan

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Re: Bob Dylan

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote:Last week I read Elijah Wald's new book about Dylan's infamous electric performance at Newport, and I'm now halfway through Chronicles, Volume One. Anyone here read either of those?
I loved Chronicles - could read it again now. I think that 60 mins interview ^^ is the book tour...you can smell the hokum in that one.

I haven't read Wald, but Newport infamy reminds me of one of my thoughts on Bringing It All Back Home: that LP came out like 6 months before Newport - nobody expected electric - was Newport really the first time Dylan did not do what was expected of him? :shock:
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

G-squared wrote:I haven't read Wald, but Newport infamy reminds me of one of my thoughts on Bringing It All Back Home: that LP came out like 6 months before Newport - nobody expected electric - was Newport really the first time Dylan did not do what was expected of him? :shock:
That's exactly the sort of point that Wald makes. He also points out that Dylan wasn't the only artist who played electric that weekend, and that it wasn't necessarily Dylan playing electric that was so shocking. I definitely recommend the book, he also gives some great background on Pete Seeger and the Newport Festival in addition to Dylan.

Anyone here want to talk to me about John Wesley Harding? I'm having trouble getting into that album. I've put it on the turntable a few times, and each time I've zoned out by the middle of the second song. It's not grabbing me but I want to dig into it because of things I've heard about it. Anyone here have thoughts on it?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Two weekend's worth of crate digging-

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Like ^^
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Bootleg Series Vol.12 looks pretty darned interesting-- http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dyla ... series-12/
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I was SO thrilled to see the new bootleg tapes would be covering my favorite albums from Dylan, but then I read that the only way to get all the tracks is to buy the deluxe edition which is not available on vinyl. Otherwise you'll get a "best of" collection.
The Best of The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol.12 is available in a 2CD or 3 12” vinyl LP set and brings together some of the musical high points of the deluxe and super-deluxe collections.
Edit: just seeing now that the complete edition has several takes of each song in a row,
I can see why they cut it down.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I kind of dread seeing the price of the bigger collections.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Yeah, I didn't see any mention of price points.
All I know is I have to have that LP set.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

$600 for the limited edition. #Ouch
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Do I need to hear 20 different takes of Like a Rolling Stone on cd, or can I be satisfied with the 3-lp set? Hmmmm...
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Kali Durga wrote:Do I need to hear 20 different takes of Like a Rolling Stone on cd, or can I be satisfied with the 3-lp set? Hmmmm...
Since you've only just started delving into Dylan, you should leave this stuff for ten or twenty years so you've got something to look forward to in the future. If you drink the cellar dry as soon as possible, there'll be none left for later. Let it mature a spell, and it'll help you understand the nuances you'll eventually experience. Some people have been waiting fifty years to hear this stuff. That said, I know nothing about wine, but I've stretched my Dylan experience out for about twenty five years and there are still Dylan albums i'm saving for a rainy day, (and a few I'm avoiding). And the Bootleg Series is great. I'm still getting my head around the last two releases - they are amazing!

So all things considered, do what you want to do, man. Drink it all. You could die waiting, and never hear any of it, and that would be worse.

And to answer your question, of course you need to hear 20 takes of Like A Rolling Stone!
Meg is my favourite.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ Good answer. All of it, not just the last part. Though I have a feeling that no matter how much I'm guzzling right now, this cellar is too extensive to be drained in my lifetime. A couple of discoveries I made the other night opened up a whole new wing of it. I'm now addicted to his Theme Time Radio Hour.
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ Good answer. All of it, not just the last part. Though I have a feeling that no matter how much I'm guzzling right now, this cellar is too extensive to be drained in my lifetime. A couple of discoveries I made the other night opened up a whole new wing of it. I'm now addicted to his Theme Time Radio Hour.
Oh my! Theme Time Radio Hour is THE BEST. Just when when you think there's nothing left for him to do, he presents a hundred hours of music for us! And tells jokes! And to think he almost missed his calling as a disc jockey.
Meg is my favourite.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Seriously. His voice may not be great for singing anymore, but it's a fabulous disc jockey voice. Like a warm blanket you wanna wrap up in while he talks about music and so much else. And the music is fantastic. I've gotten through weather and baseball since yesterday, have mothers and drinking lined up. And that's just the first page of the website. Bob may end up being the saviour of my three hour a day commute.
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

It's a great place for discovering new (well mostly old!) music and hear Bob break into accapella versions of things like 'Take Me Out to the Ballpark' . That cracks me up. I've hammered these shows at work, and they proved popular. Your three hour commute will be all the better for having Bobs themes.
Here's an interesting series of posts about how the show initially came together (for some reason the 4th post never actually happened). http://leeabrams.blogspot.com.au/2006/0 ... e.html?m=1
Meg is my favourite.