Bob Dylan

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Re: Bob Dylan

Post by dylnfan »

Alabama Woody wrote:I've got approximately 30 or more Dylan CD's .... I need to buy some of his vinyl [EYES]
It's a long, dangerous path my friend...and by dangerous, I mean expensive. LOL!
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

dylnfan wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:I've got approximately 30 or more Dylan CD's .... I need to buy some of his vinyl [EYES]
It's a long, dangerous path my friend...and by dangerous, I mean expensive. LOL!
I'm going to have to drag my feet until my son graduates from college.
Then it's on !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Alabama Woody wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
Then it's on !
Start w/the Japanese pressings...sound amazing and much cheaper. WLPs after that.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Bob Dylan

Post by Alabama Woody »

dylnfan wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
Then it's on !
Start w/the Japanese pressings...sound amazing and much cheaper. WLPs after that.
WLP ?

I've enjoyed reading Kali's response after just getting in to Dylan, I appreciate your recommendations a lot.
I'm trying to put off collecting Dylan vinyl but ya'll are making it hard

I got a bunch of CD's burned for me by my brother who has been getting them at the Public Library in Brentwood. They have a great library :-)

Bought a bunch of CD's cheap on Amazon, some for $5.

I have a long list of stuff from the Napster days but it's shitty quality.
Back when it took 1/2 an hour to download one song :-) !!! lol

Man wouldn't it be great to go to a record store or three in Japan !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Picked up Blood On the Tracks, Bringing It All Back Home, John Wesley Harding, and a 70s era bootleg yesterday. Didn't think much of the bootleg, it's not a great recording or a great pressing, but then at the end of it were beee-yoo-tiful performances of To Romona and Lay Lady Lay and it was totally worth the $10.

Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts is a blast.

And I've had to listen to Sara at least once a day for the past week.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Alabama Woody wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
Then it's on !
WLP ?

I've enjoyed reading Kali's response after just getting in to Dylan, I appreciate your recommendations a lot.
I'm trying to put off collecting Dylan vinyl but ya'll are making it hard

I got a bunch of CD's burned for me by my brother who has been getting them at the Public Library in Brentwood. They have a great library :-)

Bought a bunch of CD's cheap on Amazon, some for $5.

I have a long list of stuff from the Napster days but it's shitty quality.
Back when it took 1/2 an hour to download one song :-) !!! lol

Man wouldn't it be great to go to a record store or three in Japan !!!
White Label Promo

- Cmelo
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Bob Dylan

Post by Alabama Woody »

Ah, lol. WLP.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Great article that Jarrett linked me to this morning-- http://gaslightrecords.com/articles/eve ... -bob-dylan

Last week I read Elijah Wald's new book about Dylan's infamous electric performance at Newport, and I'm now halfway through Chronicles, Volume One. Anyone here read either of those?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

That was a pretty good read Kali!
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Glad you enjoyed it. I especially liked Obama's comment-- "That’s how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don’t want him to be all cheesin’ and grinnin’ with you."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Kali Durga wrote:Great article that Jarrett linked me to this morning-- http://gaslightrecords.com/articles/eve ... -bob-dylan

Last week I read Elijah Wald's new book about Dylan's infamous electric performance at Newport, and I'm now halfway through Chronicles, Volume One. Anyone here read either of those?
"Chronicles" is excellent...still holding out for Volume II. If you're looking for a high-brow academic analysis of Bob, check out Ricks' "Dylan's Visions of Sin."

- Cmelo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I've been so engrossed in Chronicles that I feel like I'm reading it way too fast. When I get to the end, I think I may go back to the beginning and try to go through it more slowly. But the tone of it feels so familiar, and his mention of what he learned from Lonnie Johnson grabbed me. I've got a record of Lonnie's that I love the hell out of and now I've got to dive more deeply into his music because of what Dylan said about him.

Visions of Sin came up as a recommendation when I was looking at Anthony Scaduto's Dylan bio on Amazon the other day, thanks for mentioning it again. Just went ahead and ordered it, along with a collection of Griel Marcus' writings about him.

Thank you for taking a break, Jack! This is the best thing I could've possibly done during your hiatus.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Proud to say I worked on Chronicles for Simon and Schuster. Imagine my thrill reading the original manuscript two months before it was published!! (And yep, I still have my copy of that manuscript.) It's an amazing book.

And if you really want to get deep . . .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 4247,d.dmo

And that's just one of many "subtext"/"plagarism" articles . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

And P.S. That Lonnie Johnson "highly controlled system of playing" thing in Chronicles? Pure, delightful Dylanesque hokum.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

woodisgood wrote:And P.S. That Lonnie Johnson "highly controlled system of playing" thing in Chronicles? Pure, delightful Dylanesque hokum.
I've been wondering as I read just how much of the entire book is hokum. Hokum or truth, though, you nailed it, it is definitely delightful. In that particular part, it was the mathematics of it that fascinated me. And I'm still grateful for that passage as an impetus to explore Johnson's music, which I've been meaning to do for a while now.

Very cool that you worked on the book. And thank you for that link, I printed the article for reading later.