Death From Above

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
rival
Little Ghost

Re: Death From Above 1979

Post by rival »

arewhyehen wrote:
rival wrote:Just got home from work and the first thing staring me in the eye when i got in the door was my tickets for tonight's DFA show in Peterborough hanging on the fridge. Sometimes I hate being a responsible adult.
Damn, so you missed the show? So did my girlfriend..
Yeah, missed it. I work at The Weather Network so to say we were busy yesterday would be an understatement...

There was no way I could take it off and go to the show. Just wasn't meant to be. Bummed.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rival wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
rival wrote:Just got home from work and the first thing staring me in the eye when i got in the door was my tickets for tonight's DFA show in Peterborough hanging on the fridge. Sometimes I hate being a responsible adult.
Damn, so you missed the show? So did my girlfriend..
Yeah, missed it. I work at The Weather Network so to say we were busy yesterday would be an understatement...

There was no way I could take it off and go to the show. Just wasn't meant to be. Bummed.
Sorry to hear that man. They are going to be around this area a lot and hopefully in toronto soon.

What's the predictions for toronto tonight? Hurricane is suppose to hit us during the night or no?
jsteinb
Little Bird

Post by jsteinb »

Won tickets to see these guys last summer. The show coincided with a heat wave and they played at an outside venue when it was 110 degrees out. Fun show albeit a very sweaty one. Glad to hear they are playing new material, hope this means a new LP or EP down the pipeline.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Death From Above 1979

Post by 7th_son »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352508604.627978.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

7th_son wrote:
youre too far back lol
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

hahah i concur. why aren't you on the floor??

the 2 new songs i've heard sound awesome! much like they're other stuff, but more intense.
god damn, i want them to tour the US soon!!!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

hxcoliver wrote:hahah i concur. why aren't you on the floor??

the 2 new songs i've heard sound awesome! much like they're other stuff, but more intense.
Yes yes! I went to their first show of the tour in Hamilton and they played 4 or 5 new songs and they are all pretty good. They are just on the road to test the new material...will be awhile before anything drops officially i think. Then we can hope for a big tour. Next time I am taking my RSD album to get them to sign it :)
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

arewhyehen wrote:
7th_son wrote:
youre too far back lol
haha, this show was at a "new" venue in Halifax and it wasn't the greatest as the stage was too low, so we checked out this balcony that circled the floor and it was decent. Wasn't interested in being up front for this one and good thing, roughest and largest mosh pit I have ever seen, not my bag.

I was quite impressed with the openers, PS I Love You, the big dude can play, and they hail from my home town. He was also nice enough to sign my record after selling it to me at the merch table later.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

7th_son wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
7th_son wrote:
youre too far back lol
haha, this show was at a "new" venue in Halifax and it wasn't the greatest as the stage was too low, so we checked out this balcony that circled the floor and it was decent. Wasn't interested in being up front for this one and good thing, roughest and largest mosh pit I have ever seen, not my bag.

I was quite impressed with the openers, PS I Love You, the big dude can play, and they hail from my home town. He was also nice enough to sign my record after selling it to me at the merch table later.
The crowd was really insane at the show I went to as well. I was on the rail, front and center and was crushed the entire show. I couldn't move and when I left, my back was completely soaked in sweat.....but not mine. It was all fromt people moshing behind me and hitting me and soaking my back...pretty gross..hah

As far as the opening band. PS I Love You was not too bad. They were really good I thought for the first 4 or 5 songs and he kept saying how quiet the crowd was and then i could see the performance take a dive after that and the rest of the set suffered. The big guy can definitely play VERY well though. I was really impressed. I hope they got a little more action at their merch table. I didn't see anyone get anything from them after my show. I felt really bad.

Did DFA have any merch? They only had one black shirt with their logo for my show. Didn't even have my size left..
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

arewhyehen wrote:

Yes yes! I went to their first show of the tour in Hamilton and they played 4 or 5 new songs and they are all pretty good. They are just on the road to test the new material...will be awhile before anything drops officially i think. Then we can hope for a big tour. Next time I am taking my RSD album to get them to sign it :)
yeah that's what i figured they were doing. just a testing grounds for the new stuff. i'm so so excited for them to release a new album. they're one of my top favorite bands. haha oh that would be incredible

^^
so how did you like the show? they seem to be in better spirits, like they don't hate each other anymore.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

arewhyehen wrote:They were really good I thought for the first 4 or 5 songs and he kept saying how quiet the crowd was and then i could see the performance take a dive after that and the rest of the set suffered.
Boy, does that sound familiar for some reason....
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cmelo wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:They were really good I thought for the first 4 or 5 songs and he kept saying how quiet the crowd was and then i could see the performance take a dive after that and the rest of the set suffered.
Boy, does that sound familiar for some reason....
hahaha, am i missing something or are you reffering to Jacks new york show?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

hxcoliver wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

yeah that's what i figured they were doing. just a testing grounds for the new stuff. i'm so so excited for them to release a new album. they're one of my top favorite bands. haha oh that would be incredible

^^
so how did you like the show? they seem to be in better spirits, like they don't hate each other anymore.

These guys are also one of my all time favourite bands. There's so much music that you get bored of fairly quickly or from listening to it over and over, but even for them not releasing any new music in 8-9 years, I can say that I still listen to that same album quite frequently and still enjoy it. It really makes it that much better that they are a local band for me.

As far as the show, they were pretty good. They didn't really interact much on stage but the last time I saw them I don't think they did either. It's obviously much harder for a drummer and bassist to interact than say a guitarist and singer or bassist. They did talk a bit between songs and seemed to be fine. Sebastien did most of the talking. At the end of the encore they started to take requests from the crowd which was kinda cool. I think they did that at most of the shows I heard though.

All in all, I hope for the musics sake that they are getting along now. It's hard to tell from the live experience how the new stuff is, but it sounds like it could be promising. Guess we will have to wait and see :)
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

arewhyehen wrote:
7th_son wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
7th_son wrote:
youre too far back lol

The crowd was really insane at the show I went to as well. I was on the rail, front and center and was crushed the entire show. I couldn't move and when I left, my back was completely soaked in sweat.....but not mine. It was all fromt people moshing behind me and hitting me and soaking my back...pretty gross..hah

As far as the opening band. PS I Love You was not too bad. They were really good I thought for the first 4 or 5 songs and he kept saying how quiet the crowd was and then i could see the performance take a dive after that and the rest of the set suffered. The big guy can definitely play VERY well though. I was really impressed. I hope they got a little more action at their merch table. I didn't see anyone get anything from them after my show. I felt really bad.

Did DFA have any merch? They only had one black shirt with their logo for my show. Didn't even have my size left..
Just the t-shirt from DFA. I guess without a new album it's tough to roll out much of a merch selection. PSILY had a bunch of stuff and merch was moving fairly steady I'd say, been spinning their latest album all day, it's catchy.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

I finally get to see them!

http://pitchfork.com/news/55823-death-f ... pean-tour/
Last month word finally broke regarding a new album by Death From Above 1979, the duo's first record since 2004's You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. It's called The Physical World, out September 9 in the U.S. on Last Gang/Warner Bros. and produced by Dave Sardy (Oasis, Nine Inch Nails, LCD Soundsystem). Now some more details have emerged, along with a fall tour schedule. That's the cover art above. See the tracklist below.
Just yesterday they debuted the LP's first single, "Trainwreck 1979".
Watch the video for "Blood On Our Hands" after the tracklist and tour dates.
The Physical World:
01 Cheap Talk
02 Right On, Frankenstein!
03 Virgins
04 Always On
05 Crystal Ball
06 White Is Red
07 Trainwreck 1979
08 Nothin' Left
09 Government Trash
10 Gemini
11 The Physical World