Death From Above

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Death From Above

Post by arewhyehen »

Word on the street is that these guys are back in studio recording some new tracks in Toronto. When they were first back together on tour, they did not get along too well so I'm not sure if this is still the case. I hope this doesn't affect the music. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.. :D
Last edited by arewhyehen on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Re: Death From Above 1979

Post by orangeshoeskid »

This is fantastic news. Thanks!
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

orangeshoeskid wrote:This is fantastic news. Thanks!
I agree. I think this is probably the album I am most excited about this year/next.
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Yeah. I heard something ot this effect before. Got all worked up and then they re-broke up...

this time it makes sense so fingers crossed it comes to fruition.

You know who's been real quiet about their new album? QOTSA. these two albums are at the top of the list for me. It would be nice to get some info on either.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rival wrote:Yeah. I heard something ot this effect before. Got all worked up and then they re-broke up...

this time it makes sense so fingers crossed it comes to fruition.

You know who's been real quiet about their new album? QOTSA. these two albums are at the top of the list for me. It would be nice to get some info on either.
ya, DFA is actually recording right now, so this time should be different.

As far as QOTSA, I heard awhile back that they were recording but haven't heard much other than that. Nothing really to update on while they are recording unless they are going to release clips or something.

I'm still very excited about the DFA though. I hope they can put aside their differences and make some good music. Normally when a band is not getting along, their music suffers because of it..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Has anyone seen Death from Above live before the break up and then recently since they got back together to tour? I saw them way back in 04 or 05 but haven't seen them since to compare whether their live performance has really been affected. I know when I saw them years ago, it was before they made it big and it was at a bar in London, ON in front of a crowd of maybe 100 people. Back then it OWNED! Can't believe they make that much noise with a bass guitar and drums. Jesse had a board of probably 25 effects pedals he ran through...pretty killer show live..
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

I got to see them once before the breakup (incidentally with Queens of the Stone Age opening for NIN- Halloween 2005 in Nashville). I've been kind of curious as to the intensity of their shows now too though.
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

i saw the Coachella reunion show...was very impressed. They looked to be getting along just fine at the SXSW show a few years ago as well. Either way I cant wait :)
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

maxman142001 wrote:i saw the Coachella reunion show...was very impressed. They looked to be getting along just fine at the SXSW show a few years ago as well. Either way I cant wait :)
That's good to hear. Maybe they have fixed everything. I can't imagine the recording process being too easy when they can't stand each other. I have a friend at the local radio station and he interviews all the bands that come through town and is involved with a bunch of labels so he knows all the "inside info". I was talking to him not long ago and he was saying that Jesse and Sebastian hated eachother. The only reason they started touring was because they both liked the idea of making $40,000 to play a big festival for an hour. I know Jesse was involved in MSTRKRFT but I don't think either of them were doing well so the money was quite appealing. I don't even think they shared the same dressing room back stage.

I'd really love for them to make up their differences so hopefully all this is a great start. One of my favourite bands and it's even better that they are local.

Now I am praying to hell that their new music is as good as their first full album..
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

holy shit!! i hope to god this is true. i'll shit my pants if it is!!
i love them so so much! their album is one of my favorites of all fucking time! killer album all the way through.i can listen to it every single day. so much energy! can't believe jesse moved on to MSTRKRFT. what garbage.

anyway, i never got to see them before they broke up, but when they got back together last year i nearly had a heart attack. i got to see them twice, once at Fuck Yeah Fest in LA in sept (headlining show) and it was mindblowing!! the show was so so so amazing and crazy and wild and fun. one of the wildest i've been to. the crowd was pretty damn big and i was right up there in the mayhem. they were playing so god damn loud the speakers were going out. they were having some sound problems and jesse was getting pissed. apparently the sound guys weren't putting it up loud enough for him for fear of actually blowing the speakers. but they didn't give a shit, they were the last band and wanted it to be loud as fuck, which it was. but a bad ass show for sure
then went to Treasure Island in San Francisco in October to see them again, cause a friend didn't get to go the first time around. that show was really fun as well, but not as bad ass crazy as the LA show. but still awesome.

i would love to see them again, and hope they make music like the first album again. just one more and end it while it's good
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

is anyone has missed it all there songs from coachella set are on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUYWu_909A[/youtube]
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

anyone here a FEMME FATALE fan?

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

hxcoliver wrote:anyone here a FEMME FATALE fan?

What does this have to do with DFA?
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

hxcoliver wrote:anyone here a FEMME FATALE fan?

Wow. I had never listened to this, and it's pretty insane. Reminds me a lot of The Locust.

Ryan, this band features Jesse Keeler from DFA1979.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

it's fucking crazy! i think it's awesome.

Bio:
Femme Fatale is the side project of Jesse F Keeler, in which he writes, and plays all the instruments you hear on the records (although Sebastien Grainger is credited for drums on "Fire Baptism"). There was a live band for a while, but no one in the band could keep up with the brutal touring of this insane project. Often at the end of nights, white guitars would be red with blood. There are no lyric sheets from the first two albums, because JFK didn't want them released to the public for many reasons. Jesse has been quoted saying Femme Fatale is the only real diary I have ever kept, so we can see why things get so personal in his writing.

it's all Jesse.
was curious to see what other Death From Above fans had heard of them.

then there's also Black Cat #13, before Death From Above, that had Jesse on it as well (no Sebastian). but i can't listen to too much of them, it gets a little annoying.