Neil Young

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Neil Young

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:NY, LM, Ireland !
No brainer

Steve Earl is opening in Nashville. I've seen him many times. Wish LM was opening here !

Tough decision for sure [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

I say go but I'm an enabler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IF only it was that easy haha. I have never seen Steve Earl....don't think I have heard of him either. Have you seen Laura Marling? I saw her ...4 o 5 years ago in Toronto. I was blown away by the soul that tiny little girl had. I still think her blue series is my favourite. It doesn't hurt that she did a hell of a NY cover ;) Not many people can take an incredible classic like that and do it justice, but she did...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

i think all this talk has made my decision for me..haha
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I've never seen LM
Steve Earl is most famous fur a song called Copperhead Road, but he is much more than that one song. He's put out an LP almost every year. He's cool !
Enjoy the show :-)

Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:I've never seen LM
Steve Earl is most famous fur a song called Copperhead Road, but he is much more than that one song. He's put out an LP almost every year. He's cool !
Enjoy the show :-)

Ahh yeah! I do know that song.

I just found out that Dropkick Murphy's are playing in Cork, the city I live in, the day before the Neil and LM show..

Game changer...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Neil was supposed to do one of his Treaties shows here in Edmonton but it got "Postponed" for no reason, that was like a year ago. I think it's likely cancelled forever and was due to poor ticket sales as most people here don't agree with his cause.

Anyways, I saw him in Calgary a couple of years ago on his original Treaties tour and it was fantastic, Only the old songs and only Neil. I also snagged a guitar pick and got him to sign a copy of Harvest!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:Neil was supposed to do one of his Treaties shows here in Edmonton but it got "Postponed" for no reason, that was like a year ago. I think it's likely cancelled forever and was due to poor ticket sales as most people here don't agree with his cause.

Anyways, I saw him in Calgary a couple of years ago on his original Treaties tour and it was fantastic, Only the old songs and only Neil. I also snagged a guitar pick and got him to sign a copy of Harvest!
I saw him at the Toronto show on that same HTT tour. It was at Massey Hall...a pretty iconic venue in Toronto...the sound is incredible. That was hands down the best show I have ever seen.

I miss the days when it was just Neil and his old hits. Now it is the Nelson boys on tour with him and they are playing all their garbage from that album they put out together. haha

For the show in Calgary, did he have a bunch of acoustic guitars that he told stories about? Stephen Stills and Hank Williams and stuff..

Very cool about the pick and signing!! I have a couple picks from when I saw him with Crazy Horse. Are yours just plain gold?? No logo or anything?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

New album!!

http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/ ... vinyl.html

Live album with the Promise of the Real. Looks to be released on August 12, 2016.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Sooo.....I've got a bit of an issue here....

Neil is playing Dublin 3 weeks after I leave Ireland. Laura Marling is opening.....

It will probably cost me about $600 to change my flight, get a ticket to the show and get a hotel in Dublin for the night.....do I stay an extra 3 weeks to see my favourite artist in Ireland?

...yes? Right? Right! I need some of you other crazy people to talk me into this..because I am poor and think I am crazy for doing such a thing... I am paying for my apartment until the 3rd of June anyways and can live with friends for a few days until the show..
You should go ! Period .

I'm seeing him this Thursday in Nashville, I can report back and let you know what he's playing, etc.

How was the show??? The setlist looks REALLY good. They even played Down by the River... He never seems to play it when I see him!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:Sooo.....I've got a bit of an issue here....

Neil is playing Dublin 3 weeks after I leave Ireland. Laura Marling is opening.....

It will probably cost me about $600 to change my flight, get a ticket to the show and get a hotel in Dublin for the night.....do I stay an extra 3 weeks to see my favourite artist in Ireland?

...yes? Right? Right! I need some of you other crazy people to talk me into this..because I am poor and think I am crazy for doing such a thing... I am paying for my apartment until the 3rd of June anyways and can live with friends for a few days until the show..
You should go ! Period .

I'm seeing him this Thursday in Nashville, I can report back and let you know what he's playing, etc.

How was the show??? The setlist looks REALLY good. They even played Down by the River... He never seems to play it when I see him!
The show was great !

Started out just Neil and a guitar,piano, and organ with harmonica - five or six songs then the band joined him. The band is real good. Yep he did DBTR. It was really good. Several jams mixed in.
Played over two hours and did a Merle Haggard song.

He and these young guys in the band were jelling really well. Cool to see him perform just as good if not better now than ever !

You're going to like the show if you go !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:
The show was great !

Started out just Neil and a guitar,piano, and organ with harmonica - five or six songs then the band joined him. The band is real good. Yep he did DBTR. It was really good. Several jams mixed in.
Played over two hours and did a Merle Haggard song.

He and these young guys in the band were jelling really well. Cool to see him perform just as good if not better now than ever !

You're going to like the show if you go !

When I went to farm aid two years ago, I saw Neil and the Nelson boys perform together. It was apparently their first time ever performing together and is what inspired their first album. I thought it was alright. They are good. Willie also came out to perform with them. It was neat to see so much talent together. I've also seen Neil with crazy horse but in my opinion, there is nothing better than just solo Neil.

When I saw him solo at Massey Hall a few years ago he did some Phil Ochs covers and a couple other songs that ended up on the Letter Home album. It was great. Looking over the set lists as of recent, it's nice to see they are doing a lot more of Neil's older tunes. They used to play a lot of their new songs off the Monsanto Years album. :thumbdown:

I wish I had been able to see Neil perform with Stephen Stills. Could still happen...but doubtful..
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

arewhyehen wrote:I wish I had been able to see Neil perform with Stephen Stills. Could still happen...but doubtful..
why would you think that? Because Stills is basically deaf now? Neil will (probably) never play with Crosby again. But I think, as long as Stills is willing to get onstage, the possibility exists. In fact Neil was on the bill at Stills' Light Up The Blues benefit 3 weeks ago.

I saw Neil last Fall with this band and it was excellent - some acoustic; some rock; some old; some new; some theatrics; some politics and some weird WTF has Neil lost his mind. just exactly perfect Neil.

btw, I say skip Dublin and plan a trip to SF in October for the Bridge School Benefit. It should be on every Neil fan list.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

G-squared wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:I wish I had been able to see Neil perform with Stephen Stills. Could still happen...but doubtful..
why would you think that? Because Stills is basically deaf now? Neil will (probably) never play with Crosby again. But I think, as long as Stills is willing to get onstage, the possibility exists. In fact Neil was on the bill at Stills' Light Up The Blues benefit 3 weeks ago.

I saw Neil last Fall with this band and it was excellent - some acoustic; some rock; some old; some new; some theatrics; some politics and some weird WTF has Neil lost his mind. just exactly perfect Neil.

btw, I say skip Dublin and plan a trip to SF in October for the Bridge School Benefit. It should be on every Neil fan list.
I really hope that Crosby and Neil rekindle that friendship. I would have loved to have seen CSNY. I think Buffalo Springfield played a one off show a few years back, which would have been a chance to see Stills and Neil together, but they are always one off shows that I need to travel a great distance for. That is why I think if Stephen and Neil did anything, I would probably need to go to California...

I did Farm Aid a few years ago. Bridge School is on my bucket list. That is going to take a lot more money and traveling, so it will need to wait a bit longer. Hopefully in the next few years I can make it down, now that I have this travel fever..

I think Dublin is probably going to happen just because I am here and paying for a place to live right up to the show anyways. Unless something gets in the way between then and now, i will probably go see Neil in Dublin. With the new album coming out, hopefully we get a few Canadian shows this year when they get back from Europe...
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I prefer solo Neil as well !
First time I saw him was in the 90's at the Opry House, just him and a stage full of instruments.

I saw the Lenoise Tour at The Ryman where it was just Neil and electric guitars. Great !

I saw him with Crazy Horse at Red Rocks. Very Good !

I saw him Thursday at an amphitheater in down town Nashville with his new band. Loved it !

His new album, Earth, is supposed to be full of sounds from the outdoors.
Should be interesting :-)

Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper