Smashing Pumpkins

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
curseofhalos

Smashing Pumpkins

Post by curseofhalos »

No thread for the band, so I thought I'd start one.

Oceania in stores June 19th. Looking very forward to it!

http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/the ... 19th-2012/
MayoSoda
Little Bird

Re: Smashing Pumpkins

Post by MayoSoda »

lets get a new song already!
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

One of my favorites from the new album.

curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Live version of one of my other favorites. It's drastically different than the album.

screw that video. It was short and awful. Anyway "One Diamond, One Heart" is a great track.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Some of my favorites from the new album:

rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Picked up the new album the other day a gave it a full listen in the car yesterday. After all the positive reviews it's been getting, I really didn't think it was as good as I was expecting. A lot of it sounded very similar with the exception of tack 7/8 (Couldn't check titles, I was driving.

Maybe it needs a few more listens to grow on me but after that initial spin, I'm not sold on it.

it does sound like a continuation of the Teargarden stuff...that part I liked.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

rival wrote:Picked up the new album the other day a gave it a full listen in the car yesterday. After all the positive reviews it's been getting, I really didn't think it was as good as I was expecting. A lot of it sounded very similar with the exception of tack 7/8 (Couldn't check titles, I was driving.

Maybe it needs a few more listens to grow on me but after that initial spin, I'm not sold on it.

Definitely give it a few more spins. It grows on you. :)
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

In general I like it. However, it's missing those few killer songs (zero, bullet, stars, siva, etc...)
grim
I am everything you hate...
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

curseofhalos wrote:
rival wrote:Picked up the new album the other day a gave it a full listen in the car yesterday. After all the positive reviews it's been getting, I really didn't think it was as good as I was expecting. A lot of it sounded very similar with the exception of tack 7/8 (Couldn't check titles, I was driving.

Definitely give it a few more spins. It grows on you. :)
Agreed.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

so this new album is a continuation of the Teargarden by Kaleidoscope project?
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

hxcoliver wrote:so this new album is a continuation of the Teargarden by Kaleidoscope project?
No. After going 8/44 (2/11) of the Teargarden project. He ate his words about albums being obsolete and unnecessary and shelved the project to focus on this album. He says it will be revisited in the future. We'll see.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

rival wrote:
hxcoliver wrote:so this new album is a continuation of the Teargarden by Kaleidoscope project?
No. After going 8/44 (2/11) of the Teargarden project. He ate his words about albums being obsolete and unnecessary and shelved the project to focus on this album. He says it will be revisited in the future. We'll see.
aaahhh i see. that kind of sucks. i thought the Teargarden was a pretty cool concept, releasing 11 EPs. i was wondering why vol.3 never came out.
thanks for the ifo
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

hxcoliver wrote:
rival wrote:
aaahhh i see. that kind of sucks. i thought the Teargarden was a pretty cool concept, releasing 11 EPs. i was wondering why vol.3 never came out.
thanks for the ifo
From what I understand, it is an "album within the album." He said that he wanted to focus all the new members and thought an album was the best way to do that. So, this really is a continuation of the Teargarden theme. He has stated that there will be anywhere from 43-60(!!) songs total for this project. I just hope he gets to them sooner than later. Billy is notorious for dragging his feet and not delivering though, so we'll see. I think the re-issues are seeming to take precedent over this at the moment. Hopefully this changes. Wish he'd tear himself away from his tea house and wrestling projects. They take time away from the music and he seems to almost care about that shit more at times!
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Pisces Iscariot reissue our July 17.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 62575.html

"HOLLYWOOD, Calif., July 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/-- EMI Music's extensive reissue campaign honoring the legacy of THE SMASHING PUMPKINS continues July 17 in North America and July 16 internationally. That's when the iconic alternative band's third album PISCES ISCARIOT--1994's platinum-certified disc that reached #4 on the Billboard Top 200 albums chart--receives the fully remastered treatment for the first time. This follows last year's acclaimed reissues of the band's groundbreaking first two albums, Gish (1991) and Siamese Dream (1993).

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120702/LA33456)

"A collection of odds and orphans from the dusky realms of Pumpkinland" is how PUMPKINS founding member BILLY CORGAN describes PISCES ISCARIOT in the liner notes penned by David Wild. "PISCES ISCARIOT was the little mix tape that went platinum," writes Wild. "This unlikely smash album that some came to mistake for the Pumpkins' third studio effort even yielded a hit single--another wonderfully odd moment in the landslide that was the intense early success story of Smashing Pumpkins."

Featuring the band's take on the Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks song "Landslide" which reached #3 on Modern Rock Tracks chart, PISCES ISCARIOT is being released in multiple configurations: Deluxe Physical Album--which comes with a live DVD and the first-ever PUMPKINS demo reproduced on cassette--Deluxe Digital, Standard Physical, Digital and 180G Vinyl. The bonus content and special features were curated from the band's archives by CORGAN, and have been painstakingly remastered for the first time from the original master tapes by Bob Ludwig. *See all track listings below.

With the full support and guidance from THE SMASHING PUMPKINS--who've created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history, selling over 30 million albums--EMI's global catalog reissue campaign will last through 2013; it will encompass all the band's albums and B-sides from 1991-2000, with other release dates to be announced. The pivotal group's many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation.

As THE SMASHING PUMPKINS get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. On June 19, the band released OCEANIA, via Martha's Music/EMI Label Services/Caroline Distribution. Marking THE SMASHING PUMPKINS' 7th studio record, it is "an album within an album," part of their 44-song work-in-progress TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE. OCEANIA was recorded at the group's studio in Chicago with CORGAN's bandmates: guitarist JEFF SCHROEDER, drummer MIKE BYRNE and bassist/vocalist NICOLE FIORENTINO.

'PISCES ISCARIOT':

Deluxe Physical Album Contents:
– Original Album Remastered & Reissued For The First Time
– 17 Previously Unreleased or Alternate Versions of Pisces Era Songs
– 24 Previously Unreleased Live Performances (Pulse Basement Jam, 1988) (DVD logo)
– First Ever SP Demo Reproduced on Cassette
– Postcards, Watercolor Illustrations, Lyrics, Photos
– Liner Notes by David Wild and Track-by-Track Annotations by Billy Corgan

Deluxe Digital Contents:
– Original Album Remastered
– 17 Previously Unreleased or Alternate Versions of Pisces Era Songs

Standard Physical, Digital and 180G Vinyl
– Original Album Remastered & Reissued For The First Time
– Includes: Starla, Landslide & La Dolly Vita

TRACKLISTS:
[CD 1] (Deluxe Physical/Digital, Standard Physical/Digital, Vinyl)

1. Soothe
2. Frail And Bedazzled
3. Plume
4. Whir
5. Blew Away
6. Pissant
7. Hello Kitty Kat
8. Obscured
9. Landslide
10. Starla
11. Blue
12. Girl Named Sandoz
13. La Dolly Vita
14. Spaced

[CD 2] (Deluxe Physical/Digital only)

1. By June (Ignoffo Sessions/2012 mix)
2. My Dahlia (Ignoffo Sessions/2012 Mix)
3. Jesus Loves His Babies (Gish Sessions rough mix)
4. Cinnamon Girl (Ignoffo Sessions/2012 Mix)
5. Glynis (2012 Mix)
6. Crawl (Gish Sessions outtake)
7. Cinder Open (Eddy St. demo/2012 mix)
8. Blissed (Sadlands demo/2012 Mix)
9. Slunk (Live)
10. Jackie Blue
11. Venus In Furs (Live)
12. Translucent (Sadlands demo/2012 mix)
13. French Movie Theme (Siamese Sessions outtake)
14. Purr Snickety (Gish b-sides session outtake)
15. There It Goes (demo/2012 mix)
16. Vanilla (Ignoffo Sessions)
17. Why Am I So Tired (Live in studio demo)

[DVD ] (Deluxe Physical Only)

Pulse Basement Jam ( 11/19/1988 - Pulse Cable Access - Lou Hinkhouse)

Introduction by Lou Hinkhouse

1. There It Goes
2. She (Inc.)
3. She
4. Under Your Spell
5. My Eternity (Inc.)
6. My Eternity (Inc.)
7. My Eternity (Inc.)
8. My Eternity
9. Bleed
10. Nothing and Everything
11. Jennifer Ever (Inc.)
12. Jennifer Ever (Inc.)
13. Jennifer Ever (Inc.)
14. Jennifer Ever (Inc.)
15. Jennifer Ever
16. Death of a Mind
17. Spiteface

Bonus Performaces
1. Blue (10/22/1991 - Atomic Records - Milwaukee, WI)
2. Offer Up (6/9/1992 - The Unicorn - Milwaukee, WI)
3. The Joker (6/10/1992 - The Unicorn - Milwaukee, WI)
4. Slunk (6/10/1992 - The Unicorn - Milwaukee, WI)
5. Dancing in the Moonlight (7/4/1993 - Raymond Revue Bar - London, UK)
6. Snap (8/11/1989 - Avalon - Chicago, IL)
7. Hello Kitty Kat (8/21/1994 - Starplex Amphitheater - Dallas, TX - 2nd stage
Lollapalooza performance)

DEMO CASSETTE (Deluxe Physical Only)

SIDE A
1. Jennifer Ever
2. East
3. Nothing And Everything

SIDE B
1. Sun (remix)
2. She (live)
3. Spiteface

About THE SMASHING PUMPKINS:
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS have created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history having sold more than 30 million albums, and won multiple Grammy Awards in the process. Formed in Chicago in 1988, they released Gish, their influential and platinum debut in 1991, which was followed by albums including the nine-time platinum Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness and the four-time platinum Siamese Dream, as well as the platinum certified 1998 album Adore. The pivotal group's many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. The PUMPKINS returned in 2007 with their acclaimed sixth album Zeitgeist. They have since remained on the cutting edge of music and technology with various online releases. In June 2012, the band released the album OCEANIA, via Martha's Music/EMI Label Services/Caroline Distribution. Marking THE SMASHING PUMPKINS' 7th studio record, it is "an album within an album," part of their 44-song work-in-progress TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE.

Source: PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1gBlR)"

Yes please! :D
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Pisces Iscariot reissue out today! I'll be picking it up at Grimey's on my lunch break! :D