U2

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: U2

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Stl_ben wrote:
How would this look in another thread if someone posted in for instance the Jett Plastic Records thread: "I don't like Jett Plastic Records and hate Jett even more. I don't like the new releases and him bumping it every hour doesn't help. I probably won't check it out not even if it was free"
Classy way to throw some jabs at Jett, Ben. Jesus, this place.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
How would this look in another thread if someone posted in for instance the Jett Plastic Records thread: "I don't like Jett Plastic Records and hate Jett even more. I don't like the new releases and him bumping it every hour doesn't help. I probably won't check it out not even if it was free"
I thought it was a nice analogy, sort of "here's what you said about U2 and Bono but a bit closer to home".

We wouldn't post something like this about Jett if we did indeed feel this way about him/Jett Plastic, so why would you post something about U2/Bono in the same manner.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

PugFaceRex wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
I thought it was a nice analogy, sort of "here's what you said about U2 and Bono but a bit closer to home".

We wouldn't post something like this about Jett if we did indeed feel this way about him/Jett Plastic, so why would you post something about U2/Bono in the same manner.
You're probably right. He probably didn't mean a word of it. My bad.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

PugFaceRex wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
Hamptonio wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:How is it a review of the album when you say "I hate bono" "I probably won't even check out the album".

I'm all for a bad review...I don't think mine was exactly that glowing.

But to just go around and say "horrible" on a thread is pretty lame in my opinion. But hey it's the internet and we all have opinions and people are going to do what they want so who cares what I say. Guess I was just spitting out my opinion too so aren't we all HORRIBLE. So Bad.
I was just simply stating that I don't like the guy. I don't like hitler and a lot of other people either..but that has no effect on my opinion of U2s music so I kept that opinion out for today.

Usually it takes me a bunch of listens to start to like a new song or album and after hearing it about 10 times, once every hour on the radio yesterday, the song still did nothing for me, so I will not be checking out the new album...even if it's free..

I don't really see how it ties in any way to Joey Ramone...so great way to get a bunch of listens to people who wouldn't normally listen, but it still isn't a great song...in my opinion..
u2 were heavily influenced by the ramones, the clash. they never sounded much like those bands, but they were inspired by them.
check em out when they were like 17.
I know they said they were influenced by them...just wasn't sure how that song in particular tied to him..
How does it not?
I guess what I meant to say is that I read some about the early days of U2 in the book U2 by U2 and it makes complete sense to me.
But I totally get why, without that particular knowledge, it wouldn't make sense.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Alright, I guess I'll chime in on this even though it's a bit off topic. And let this be the first and last time I ever post on a fucking U2 thread :silent: :thumbdown:

I'm not going to take sides on the subject, just my opinion. I'd have to say that 96% of the bands mentioned on this site (especially this thread) are not my bag...baby. And there are quite a few of them I cringe even seeing the names. But I'm the type that keeps (most) negative opinions to himself. There have been quite a few times where I thought about stating my opinion of a band, musician, etc.. But I again ask myself, why? Is it worth the words out of my mouth, keys stroked on my keyboard? No. I ask myself, why even voice negative opinions in such a way? Am I trying to convince someone that they're not worth their time since they're not worth my time? Again, no. I'd almost feel like I'm walking in on some strangers party. Threads of bands that I don't really care for I feel are off limits to me. With the exception of this thread :D

And as far as me participating, I save my voice and keystrokes for what I deem worthwhile. I plan on playing my guitar until the day I die so I'll save my split second thoughts and keep them to myself rather than type my meaningless opinion to fans.

I've defended The White Stripes many times in my life. Have any of the negative thoughts, feelings, opinions steered me away from enjoying The White Stripes any less than I do today? No. I usually just reply to those types of people with a "you know...that's just like...your opinion, man". And have always wondering why even try to start an argument with a fan?

Alike everyone else, just my opinion...man.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Well said, Ryan.

Now let's get back on topic..

G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Well said Maker
Pug you got my point exactly.

And on U2 after just the 2nd play it's already growing on me. Do I think it is their best album, no....but it ain't their worst either. I'll be picking it up on vinyl and may have to spin something else fr them tonight.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
greekfood101
Little Acorn

Post by greekfood101 »

I think the album is amazing. I've been told this is a bold statement but I would rank it in my top three U2 albums after Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. It's what U2 needed. This is something completely different from the last three records that they've done and I think it really worked out for them. I don't know if it had anything to do with Danger Mouse producing it but either way I think it's the album they needed especially after HTDAAB and NLOTH. I've had it on repeat since I downloaded it yesterday. Every Breaking Wave and Song for Someone are just fantastic songs. If U2 can keep turning out albums like this I'll wait another five years. To everyone who doesn't like the album you have the right to your opinion and say what you want about it. I love the album that's my opinion and if you hate it that's your opinion. I don't really care for Manipulator by Ty Segall and that's my opinion and I know everybody else loves the album. Everyone has different tastes in music. In the end, it's a great fucking album and I can't wait to pick up a physical copy Oct. 13.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Haven't fully researched it but sounds like a second LP may follow this one soon....like for Christmas. (Actually even say a third LP may be out first quarter of next year!)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I have not bought a new U2 record since Zooropa. I would not have bought this one, but I'm giving it a chance since the price was right. Listened to it once today and it was good, but I didn't hear anything that got me too excited. I'll give it a few more listens and see if my opinion changes.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

Yeah, Bono said in a letter on U2's website that a followup called Songs of Experience was to closely follow this. For U2 that could mean a few years though :(

Most likely it should be out before a tour next year
greekfood101
Little Acorn

Post by greekfood101 »

I would love to hear the scrapped albums. I know they have enough material. This album can hold me over until then, even if it is a few years.
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

U2 are pretty good but I did feel like The Edge made it on It Might Get Loud because Johnny Greenwood hates appearing on camera. I haven't heard the new record. Is it going to show up on mobile devices in a few days? Did everyone listen on their computers? I may be a dummy but the language in the iTunes blurb didn't ring all that clear.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

scoliosispony wrote:U2 are pretty good but I did feel like The Edge made it on It Might Get Loud because Johnny Greenwood hates appearing on camera. I haven't heard the new record. Is it going to show up on mobile devices in a few days? Did everyone listen on their computers? I may be a dummy but the language in the iTunes blurb didn't ring all that clear.
Its supposed to be in the "purchased" section under albums