U2

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
flattop2001
Little Ghost

U2

Post by flattop2001 »

As most long time members know U2 are my first band fixation and with Jack's cover I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion.
I actually prefer the U2 version of Love is Blindness to jack's even 20 years after the fact, also the tracks I have heard off Blunderbuss so far have a lot of Bono style phrasing in the lyrics, maybe the time with Edge and the boys helped Jack reach new levels?
I know a lot of Swirlers hate U2 with a passion, but like all great bands the next generation dismisses the past until their idols cover them then they discover they liked them all along. IMO U2s last three albums are their most consistent triptych ever and stand against anything else released in the past 10 years. OK flame away.....
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
achouza
Little Ghost

Re: U2

Post by achouza »

yeah these guys do get alot of crap lately,, but I agree they have made some great music over the years,, more than their music, i think bono and their becoming too overplayed / commercial as "worlds biggest band" has turned alot of people away,,,
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

I'm a fan. Really big fan of All That You Can't Leave Behind, mostly.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Have not heard there newest albums but I like there older stuff.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

1991 was a huge year for me and U2 was part of that. I'm not a huge fan, more of a casual fan that recognizes their songs on the radio but I pretty much know Achtung Baby forwards and backwards. Great album for me. Tom Petty is sort of in the same category.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

U2 is good, and I enjoy some of their earlier stuff (War, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby, Zooropa is about the last one they did that I can listen to without switching it off halfway into the first track, but even that one is pushing it...), but Bono being a douche just kinda turns me off to the whole thing...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

How is Bono is a douch anyway?
<BluefordT> jhdb
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

PugFaceRex wrote:How is Bono is a douch anyway?
Character reference for Courtney Love's new condo?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

rsimms3 wrote:
PugFaceRex wrote:How is Bono is a douch anyway?
Character reference for Courtney Love's new condo?
I don't know what's going on here.
I'm just wondering. I see people say that alot but never see the explanation behind it...
<BluefordT> jhdb
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

What do you think Bono does that makes him a douche? I assume using his celebrity to raise funds for good causes. He admits this and that he is a media whore for these charities but he believes in the issues 100%.
As for the latter material, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are my favorite albums.
Achtung Baby close third, if newies think LIB is an intense lyric check out Sometimes you can't make it on your own written to Bonos dad as he was passing from Cancer, it is one of the few songs I tear up on hearing every time, but having lost both parents to cancer the whole LP is pretty personal to me. Trivia fact original title was How to dismantle atomic Bob (his dads name)
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I don't think he's a douche, he is doing good in this world but sometimes it gets to the point where he is overexposed. Angelina Jolie / Brad Pitt have fallen into the same category for me a few times where I feel like they are beating people over the head with their causes. It's a fine line sometimes.
Bono smiley - :ugeek:
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

anytime i think about the last decade of u2 or songs like "get on your boots", i then remember just how incredible that group was before they were of drinking age. the first singles like 'boy/girl' and pre-island songs are all amazing.
'boy' and 'october', particularly 'october', were life-changing for me, and just about every melodic band that followed them.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Honestly I think that next to the massive media whoring he does (regardless of his level of belief in the cause), the fact that he kinda alludes to you (anyone in general) being a heartless piece of shit if you don't support his cause, and that he acts like they're the best band in the world (which they're good, but since the whole thing is totally subjective, that's kinda hard to lay claim to) and that you're crazy if you don't like them, kinda makes me think he's a total douche. I mean there are a lot of famous people that when I see them in interviews or whatever I think 'they seem cool, like if I didn't know who they were and met em in a pub, they'd be cool to have a few beers with', they seem down to earth and normal. Bono just always seems fairly pompous and full of himself (which some people might say you need to be in order to reach that level), I feel like if I met him in a pub, after 5 minutes I'd want to hit him with a chair...

semi-off topic: Brad and Angelina annoy the shit out of me, he needs to shave the rat off his face and she needs to eat a couple hundred cheeseburgers... has she collected a kid from every continent yet?
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

One of the first bands I got into
Great band - plenty of politics on their infamous Joshua tree album
Nowadays Bono has voices his opinions head on.
Jimmy I agree Sometimes.. Is something special - father
also gone and the sentiment of that song resonates.
Love listening to their live stuff particularly pre war .
vozhyk87
Little Acorn

Post by vozhyk87 »

I am fundamentally against violence. But if I had to punch someone in the face, that would be Bono.