Nirvana

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Re: Nirvana

Post by drummintodabeat »

arewhyehen wrote:
drummintodabeat wrote:Very interesting...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kurt-cobain ... tney-love/
I heard about this yesterday. Now all the conspiracies will start up again..
That's for sure... :think:
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Montage of Heck trailer

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

rsimms3 wrote:Montage of Heck trailer

That is going to kill me. Can't wait.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Slightly awkward interview with the director of the movie. The interviewer is either not very experienced, nervous, or something.

I knew this was in the works, the trailer alone is moving. Everyone has their own connection to him, but with this coming from the family building perspective I feel a different connection as a newish father than as a fan of 20 odd years. Definitely want to find a screening and not watch it on TV.

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
alanl
Little Cream Soda

Post by alanl »

Saw The premiere of Montage of Heck in Amsterdam last night, everyone should see this !!!
Moving and very disturbing especially those of us who really admire his music, but most disturbing to see the home movies of him and Courtney and baby Frances!!
What would have happened if Kurt had been with someone else then Courtney?
would love a book of his notes, drawings and Lyrics!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20150415
Mr. Natural - The Whole Universe is Completely Insane!
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

Anyone else catch Montage of Heck yet? Watched it last night and was blown away to say the least.
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I have it downloaded but haven't had time to watch it yet. It's 2 hours and 12 minutes so I have to find sufficient time to set aside.
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

rsimms3 wrote:I have it downloaded but haven't had time to watch it yet. It's 2 hours and 12 minutes so I have to find sufficient time to set aside.
I agree...started watching at 8:30pm last night wasn't the best idea. It truly is about KURT. The early home movies and interviews with his family are very emotional. What I would give to see them back in 1990-1992!
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

maxman142001 wrote:Anyone else catch Montage of Heck yet? Watched it last night and was blown away to say the least.
I saw it about 2 weeks ago.
Dutch premiere at the gorgeous art deco Tuschinski Theater in Amsterdam with Brett Morgen and Hisko [the animator] present
programmed by the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam.
Director made sure the sound was really loud which was good.

Really liked most of the documentary but thought his mum was pretty fake.
Some things for me were almost too private to watch.
Felt like a voyeur at times.
The animation was a good idea but could have done without the constant manipulating of the copied images of Kurt's private notes, that got a bit old after a while.
If you show fragments of his personal writings, artwork and diaries than show it like it is, that's already powerful enough.

After the viewing there was an interview with Brett sounds cool right?
Wrong! After a minute and a half I looked over at my wife and we didn't even have to say a word but we both got up and left.
After getting an intimate look into the life of Kurt I couldn't stand looking at and listening to such a pretentious and self-satisfied ass.

Would recommend to go see this if you get the chance.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

Bikedo wrote:
maxman142001 wrote:Anyone else catch Montage of Heck yet? Watched it last night and was blown away to say the least.
I saw it about 2 weeks ago.
Dutch premiere at the gorgeous art deco Tuschinski Theater in Amsterdam with Brett Morgen and Hisko [the animator] present
programmed by the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam.
Director made sure the sound was really loud which was good.

Really liked most of the documentary but thought his mum was pretty fake.
Some things for me were almost too private to watch.
Felt like a voyeur at times.
The animation was a good idea but could have done without the constant manipulating of the copied images of Kurt's private notes, that got a bit old after a while.
If you show fragments of his personal writings, artwork and diaries than show it like it is, that's already powerful enough.

After the viewing there was an interview with Brett sounds cool right?
Wrong! After a minute and a half I looked over at my wife and we didn't even have to say a word but we both got up and left.
After getting an intimate look into the life of Kurt I couldn't stand looking at and listening to such a pretentious and self-satisfied ass.

Would recommend to go see this if you get the chance.
His mum definitely sounded very fake. The part about him bringing Nevermind masters to her house to listen to them sounded a bit off..
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Hmmm. I guess that's my "humbled" opinion. Hmmm.

I could tear this movie apart but feel like I'd be talking to myself. Nirvana being probably the biggest music influence of my life, I've listened, watched, read multiple (more like hundreds) interviews, shows, books, etc., etc., etc.. Not usually one to tear something up but this could've been so much more. So much important detail left out. And it was oversaturated with the smaller tidbits of Kurt's life.

Very "meh" for me. And unless some of the material I'd recalled in my past fascinations of the band, there are some errors here and there that were picked up on my radar. Maybe if I was a very casual, light fan of the band/Kurt I would've enjoyed this.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

makers888 wrote:Hmmm. I guess that's my "humbled" opinion. Hmmm.

I could tear this movie apart but feel like I'd be talking to myself. Nirvana being probably the biggest music influence of my life, I've listened, watched, read multiple (more like hundreds) interviews, shows, books, etc., etc., etc.. Not usually one to tear something up but this could've been so much more. So much important detail left out. And it was oversaturated with the smaller tidbits of Kurt's life.

Very "meh" for me. And unless some of the material I'd recalled in my past fascinations of the band, there are some errors here and there that were picked up on my radar. Maybe if I was a very casual, light fan of the band/Kurt I would've enjoyed this.
I agree. I guess I'm more of a casual fan; love the music but outside of reading Azerrad I never followed the articles and such. I sort of missed it since it was toward the end of high school and I had other things on my mind. Maybe there is for others, but all of the journal stuff I have no context. Who knows what order it was written and then presented in the movie. The majority of the animations just distracted from the overall story. And most annoying part for me was the near constant use of studio audio over what was being seen, like with the sound check for the Halloween show. From my understanding there were scads of materials and I was left feeling "that's it, that's what you did with all those materials?"
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I'm also a casual fan and this documentary left me less sympathetic toward Cobain. As a casual fan, it shifted my own perception of him from tortured genius toward hopeless junkie. There's no doubt the man was intelligent and talented. But this documentary did him no favors, even if it better served the truth.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

I have always felt a bit of kindred-ship with Cobain because I was going through similar dependency issues and depression at about the same time... entered rehab just after his suicide and used his music as a type of therapy when I got out. That being said, I thought the documentary was perfect. Like Kurt's music it was raw and not meant to be a comprehensive bio or history of the band. It was a glimpse into a human life.

One thing I have learned is that everyone who has dependency issues, whether it be alcohol, prescription drugs, food, heroin, whatever... the common ground is depression and pain. The idea that there is a such thing as a tortured genius is bullshit. That term comes from people trying to make excuses for their fallen heroes. It's bullshit because even your heroes are just plain flawed human beings, no different than you or me. Doesn't matter if you're a genius or a dumb ass, depression doesn't care.
Just because Kurt wrote amazing songs didn't make his pain any more important or magical than yours or mine.

Watch this documentary and know that there is no such thing as a hopeless junkie, just humans that lose the battle.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Well said, man. You're right. On all counts.