Re: The Official Pearl Jam Sucks Thread

Post by cwja »

Anything new here? Did they cancel a show or something? :lol:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cwja wrote:Anything new here? Did they cancel a show or something? :lol:
Good on them for doing so! I know a bunch of artists have been doing the same lately. People need to stand up for their rights when they feel their country is moving in the wrong direction...
jerrytimes

Post by jerrytimes »

Lost some respect for Pearl Jam this week. They screwed many fans over.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Gained some respect for Pearl Jam this week. Way to do the right thing.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Thumbs up for Pearl Jam and all the other bands that are making a point about being fed up with those fucked up retarded medieval hateful laws.

Looks like pretty soon they can stop playing North America all together.
Europe welcomes Pearl Jam
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Bikedo wrote:Thumbs up for Pearl Jam and all the other bands that are making a point about being fed up with those fucked up retarded medieval hateful laws.

Hear hear! Well, except they part about no longer playing North America.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Bikedo wrote:Thumbs up for Pearl Jam and all the other bands that are making a point about being fed up with those fucked up retarded medieval hateful laws.

By North America do you mean the USA? Don't lump us in with them...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:Gained some respect for Pearl Jam this week. Way to do the right thing.
Big +1 here as well.

Their music will always be there and they can come back...When a human's rights are in jeopardy, something needs to be done.. It's great to see so many big names step up and protest against the new law.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:

By North America do you mean the USA? Don't lump us in with them...
Haha, yeah! I have been in Europe for 7 or 8 months now and I am constantly asked where I am from in the USA....my answer is always "The Canadian part"

It's some what frustrating at times..
jerrytimes

Post by jerrytimes »

Stl_ben wrote:Gained some respect for Pearl Jam this week. Way to do the right thing.
I disagree. Many fans had made plans, travel accommodations etc for the show. Pearl Jam should have played the show, made it well known what their stance was during the show, and then used some of the profits to try to pressure the politicians into changing the law. Not showing up to do a concert does nothing. These shows pass that are getting cancelled and are quickly forgotten about.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Not showing up does a ton! It takes tax money out of the governments hands. All those ticket sales, hotel rentals, beers at the show and merch stand would have all raised money for the government. But when concerts cancel and business leave the state will have to make a change and other states will think twice about making laws like this.

But sure lets complain that a few folks don't get to see a show, no need to worry about all those basic human rights people are being stripped of.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Stl_ben wrote:Not showing up does a ton! It takes tax money out of the governments hands. All those ticket sales, hotel rentals, beers at the show and merch stand would have all raised money for the government. But when concerts cancel and business leave the state will have to make a change and other states will think twice about making laws like this.

But sure lets complain that a few folks don't get to see a show, no need to worry about all those basic human rights people are being stripped of.
What Ben said.

As someone who has seen their tour rider and guarantee(over 10 years ago now) I can assure you that a Pearl Jam show brings in millions in taxes. Literal millions.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:Not showing up does a ton! It takes tax money out of the governments hands. All those ticket sales, hotel rentals, beers at the show and merch stand would have all raised money for the government. But when concerts cancel and business leave the state will have to make a change and other states will think twice about making laws like this.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I have had two concerts cancelled on me this year. One due to a bloody massacre at a show a few days before I was supposed to see that band and another one because of a band member needing surgery on his finger. Both shows I made plans to fly to another country and stay there for the sole purpose of the show. Is it very frustrating? Yes. I lost a lot of money, but in both cases it was done for reasons that must be dealt with in such a way.

This in my opinion is no different. A humans basic rights being stripped away is what we as a civilization have been fighting against for thousands of years. I agree completely with Ben's statement. I feel that the majority of the people who support not only Pearl Jam, but basic human rights, would understand what they did by cancelling the show. I think many people probably followed by cancelling their travel plans, causing the state to lose lots of money. Pearl Jam did not want to support that state, so they didn't. They knew many fans would follow.

Besides, they have played how many shows this tour already? Yet, we are talking about the only one they haven't played. What has made the biggest impact here?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Received my Mother's Day single today.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Preorders are up for No Code and Yield(no box sets this time) along with reissues of 5 singles.