Band of Skulls

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
carbizguy
Little Bird

Re: Band of Skulls

Post by carbizguy »

arewhyehen wrote:
carbizguy wrote:this whole thing was crazy. thanks to all the Swirl Sleuths for getting down to the bottom of things! :D
They got down to the bottom of things?
What was found out about the recent albums that were for sale?
oh, I thought the overall consensus was, that they were a re-issue.. after I read the comment about an email confirming a soon release. I assumed these were part of that re-issue, I guess I jumped the gun. sorry :oops:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

^ ^ no problem. It happens. I wish we had some answers on the situation though haha
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

BDDFH Comparison - 1st and 2nd Issue

Post by rsimms3 »

Someone asked about the differences between the 1st and 2nd issues of this record so I took some pics of both today after receiving my 2nd issue. The 1st issue is on the left/top in all shots, the 2nd is on the right/bottom in all shots. I haven't compared the sound yet as my table is currently set up to play 3" records. You can click any of the pics to go to the full size version at the host site.

Front covers, note different stickers and the 1st issue has better/brighter colors. The 1st issue has better color/sharper picture throughout on the front/back/inner covers as well as the poster inside.

Back covers.

Closer on the back covers, 1st on top.

Lower right hand corner of back.
Image Image

Front cover stickers, 1st then 2nd.
Image Image

Posters, 1st on top.

Linear notes on LP sleeve. Note changes to management email and BMI vs. Sony/ATV. Also, the 1st issue sleeve had a thicker paper than the second.

LP label, 1st.

LP label, 2nd.

Matrix Codes
1st - 101034-A / BAND OF SKULLS 101034-B RE1
2nd - 101034-A-RE-1 WG/NRP / 101034-B WG/NRP

WG is Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions, the same engineer that does probably 85% of TMRs masters. Most likely the 2nd issue was pressed at URP since it has a U in a circle on the Matrix as well.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Very nice info on pressing differences! This kind of comparison is exactly what this thread has needed. Thank you very much for this. I'm sure this will help prevent confusion for those looking for 1st presses, and even though it hasn't happened yet, prevent people from trying to pass off reissues as 1st presses...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

You're welcome! The dead giveaway is the bar code on the back and Sony/ATV references for the 2nd issue. I would go so far as to call the new one a second pressing given the dead wax etchings. As soon as I get a chance to listen to them I'll report back on sound quality.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I finally got around listening to the old and new release of BDDFH. I prefer the new release to the old one. The new one is mastered hotter and sound clearer, the old one sound somewhat muddied and a little unbalanced. I recorded both the samples below at the same volume with the same setup to show the difference in dynamics. It's not the entire first side of the album, the first song and a small part of the second song are cut off.
original.jpg
new.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Very interesting, pretty common for the remaster to be a little hotter I suppose. I may just have to open up my reissue and give it a listen and compare the two an see which I like better. Looking at those waveforms, and it looks like they really pushed the levels. -3db is pretty damn high, even looks like it might clip in a few spots... Gotta love the loudness war...
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I wouldn't draw that conclusion from my comparison, this is an apples to apples comparison. Since my goal was a 0db transfer of the louder of the two records, the new one looks like it might have clipped but it didn't and the comparison isn't based on any specific comparison standard other than 0db. In fact, I had to increase the volume on my ADC by 10db to get these results compared to my transfer of Nine Miles From The White City. So, using the White Stripes record for comparison, both versions are not mastered nearly as hot as other records. I'll upload a sample of each tomorrow using 320kbps MP3s.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

I see, no need to upload anything, I'll just open up my copy and spin it, wasn't sealed for any reason other than that having an original I saw no reason to open it.

What ADC are you using? I've been looking for something decent for my own transfers.
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

jrfhoutx wrote:I see, no need to upload anything, I'll just open up my copy and spin it, wasn't sealed for any reason other than that having an original I saw no reason to open it.

What ADC are you using? I've been looking for something decent for my own transfers.
Grace Lunatec V3 from my concert taping days.
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

New album coming out 2014!

http://www.nme.com/news/band-of-skulls/73615

Also, their latest single sounds really good to me. Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/bandofskulls/asleep-at-the-wheel
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

Yeah!

I'm really digging' that new single, kinda sounds like QOTSA meets the Blakc Keys
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

luccamezz wrote:New album coming out 2014!

http://www.nme.com/news/band-of-skulls/73615

Also, their latest single sounds really good to me. Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/bandofskulls/asleep-at-the-wheel

Really good news. New track sounds awesome!!

I wonder if that recent repress of their first album was part of some re-release they will have along side the release of this album?
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

Alright, let's go to the news!

Asleep At The Wheel official video:

Himalayan cover (which I love):

And the official Himalayan tracklist is on their instagram, if you guys wanna check that out!

http://instagram.com/bandofskullsofficial
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

The artwork is stunning. Based on the track listing alone I cant wait to hear this album