Re: The Black Keys

Post by Kaber »

El camino took me a while to really enjoy
Think it will be the same with this album
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

There were a couple of tracks on El Camino I liked and a few on Turn Blue as well.
For the most part they're just songs I won't remember in a few weeks time.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Dr.Zissou wrote:so back to the music... what do you all think of the new album? I've listened to it about 5 times now and I have to say that with the exception of a few songs... I like it. It's not my favorite album, but it's not one that I will constantly pass over and never listen to again. Still has some bluesy undertones and a lot of electronic influence but I think they pulled it off for the most part. If tickets weren't so pricey at Barclays I would have bought tickets... so I'll just hope they play a smaller show somewhere down the road.
I think it's a good album. It's actually an album, it has a nice flow and a coherent sound and style all the way through. it's a little bluesy, a little psych, a little rock; overall a nice combination. It's very consistent, and not like the last couple of albums that were up and down with a few scorchers a few mellow tracks and a bunch of bland. I think i was put off at first because I was looking for that up and down from the last albums. After listening to the album all the way through, Fever makes far more sense and doesn't seem like it's out of place (like it does as a single when compared to the rest of their stuff), it fits right in. I heard someone saying something about it being a break up album, and after I heard that and listened to it again, I saw what they were talking about, and it all made much more sense, and I liked it a little more. in that context it's a nice, somewhat lamenting, bittersweet, unapologetic album. It's not going to be my 'go to' Keys album like Big Come Up, Rubber Factory, or Brothers are; but I think it'll see more play time than El Camino or Attack and Release...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

Vinyl rebirth, URP shows TMR being pressed.
http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/watch-t ... 01/6011771
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Listening to the new album now. Third go at it. I like it. Very well done. It's not the Black Keys of old but hell they are not the same "black keys of old" either. Time changes, people change, their music changes. If you want garage rock there is plenty out there to choose form !

This will be getting played a lot with Lazaretto at the moment. Listening to the Led Zep re-issues as well. Bought Jacks Lazaretto 7" too. So I got the live and studio version B side.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I really don't like the Black Keys and usually turn the radio down when they are on...they are just one of those bands for me...

I guess just recently they released their new single "Gotta Get Away" and without knowing it was them I listened to it and really enjoyed it (uh oh). It is much better than the other garbage BK singles they play on the radio.

What do the "hardcore" Black Keys fans think of the new single? Maybe I like it because it is different from other things they have done, but that is a bad thing in their fans eyes...I don't know.. Or maybe it is like some of their other stuff that I have never heard and may really like..
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

arewhyehen wrote:I really don't like the Black Keys and usually turn the radio down when they are on...they are just one of those bands for me...

I guess just recently they released their new single "Gotta Get Away" and without knowing it was them I listened to it and really enjoyed it (uh oh). It is much better than the other garbage BK singles they play on the radio.

What do the "hardcore" Black Keys fans think of the new single? Maybe I like it because it is different from other things they have done, but that is a bad thing in their fans eyes...I don't know.. Or maybe it is like some of their other stuff that I have never heard and may really like..
I don't really care for any of their new stuff and haven't bothered to see them live since before "Brothers" came out but my personal favourite album is "Magic Potion." I love it. Give it a listen.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

I love the new album. THey just announced a new tour too.....don't think I will go, but it's just not a venue that's for me. Glad they are big enough to sell arenas though. They deserve it!
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rival wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:I really don't like the Black Keys and usually turn the radio down when they are on...they are just one of those bands for me...

I don't really care for any of their new stuff and haven't bothered to see them live since before "Brothers" came out but my personal favourite album is "Magic Potion." I love it. Give it a listen.
I will give it a shot. Thanks, Scott. What do you think of the "Gotta Get Away" single? I don't like any of their new stuff on the radio, but I must say this song is real catchy...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:I love the new album. THey just announced a new tour too.....don't think I will go, but it's just not a venue that's for me. Glad they are big enough to sell arenas though. They deserve it!
Yeah, I know a few people not going because of the arena venues..
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I like their last 2 albums as much as the early stuff. Most old time fans .....don't.
I have never seen them live because I was late to the party and I don't think they are a stadium band and seeing how they live in Nashville and won't play the Ryman pisses me off.
So no tour dollars from me. No way I'm going to the Bridgestone Center for anyone other than Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. Bruce played the Ryman years ago ......
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

I have seen them play in record stores and for giant festivals, in bars and medium size venues.....
Of course in the record store was coolest because it was like them and 10 people enjoying it in our faces.....but I would love for them to play the 2000-3000 cap venues with just the two of them on stage that was the best for me.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

The Black Keys

Post by Alabama Woody »

There are so many cool places they could play in Nashville that hold 2-3,000 people. Wish they would. They played a secret show a while back. I was late to liking them and missed all the small shows.
In a record store , like Grimeys would be incredible !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Post by pgharf »

I've never seen The Black Keys. They're coming to my city this weekend, but playing an arena, so I'm passing on the show.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

For some reason I have been listening to Chulahoma nonstop the past couple weeks. Damn this album is fantastic.
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>