Discuss non-TMR bands in here
trickster
Greek Mod

The Decemberists

Post by trickster »

OMG!
I love that band.
There I said it

I stole the very nice discography post from their official message board so there it is
ChrisGilbert wrote:***UPDATE HISTORY AT BOTTOM OF POST***
----------Decemberists Vinyl Discography----------

THE JEALOUS BUTCHER YEARS (The good 'ol days of D's Vinyl ;))
CHRONOLOGICAL BY JEALOUS BUTCHER CATALOG NUMBER

(JB-046) Her Majesty: THREE separate pressings.
(All three pressed by Jealous Butcher)
Matrix Numbers: JB-046-A / JB-046-B and imprinted with "GOLDEN" ON THE FIRST TWO PRESSINGS

FIRST PRESSING: Silk screened covers on white jackets, 523 total, hand numbered.

White Vinyl #'s 1-200
Black Vinyl #'s 201-523

SECOND PRESSING: Orange colored paper jackets with slight design modifications most notably to the track listing on the back. Also includes an insert sheet with lyrics.

Clear Red Vinyl: 200 Pressed.
Black Vinyl: 800 Pressed

THIRD PRESSING (2006): New inner sleeves with printed lyrics replacing the old paper inserts. (2006) New Labels.

Matrix Numbers: (THIRD PRESSING): 67569E1/A and 67569E2/A

Heavy 180 Gram Black vinyl: No estimates on # Presed.

(JB-047/HSH-044) The Tain / 5 Songs: Two separate pressings.
(Both pressed by Jealous Butcher / HUSH )
Matrix Numbers: JB-047 / HSH-044-A AND JB-047 / HSH-044-B and imprinted with "GOLDEN" ON ALL PRESSINGS

(This kinda gets ugly, and if you're looking for the more limited presses buyer beware on ebay- bad photographers and cameras get the color of the Tain's various incarnations wrong frequently!)

FIRST PRESSING: The inner sleeve is printed, and doubles as the insert.)

GRAY/BLACK/WHITE "SWIRL": 200 Pressed
Black: 800 Pressed.

SECOND PRESSING: (Includes cardstock insert, and a traditional paper inner sleeve)
BLUE-GREEN BASED GRAY/WHITE SWIRLS/MARBLE: 200 Pressed.
Black 800 Pressed.

THIRD PRESSING: 180 Gram Black Vinyl

NOTE: the second press definitely has some inconsistencies. Notably, the intensity and color of the swirl/marbling varies and is sometimes non-existent, but across the board, this pressing has a definite Blue/Blue-Green tint. I've now got three of these from ebay auctions where the seller (probably meaning well) listed them as Grey and when I anxiously rip open the parcel I find the blue swirl, haha.

ANOTHER NOTE: The best method of ascretaining which pressing you have is by knowing if you have a printed inner sleeve(1st) or a plain sleeve and a cardstock insert (2nd press). Note, the new 180 gram pressing went back to the printed inner sleeve.

(JB-051)Billy Liar Single b/w Everything I Try To Do, Nothing Seems To Turn Out Right / Sunshine: Two separate pressings.
(Both pressed by Jealous Butcher)
Matrix Numbers: JB-051-A / JB-051-B and imprinted with "GOLDEN" ON ALL PRESSINGS

FIRST PRESSING:
White Vinyl: 200 Pressed.
Black: 300 Pressed.

SECOND PRESSING:
Clear Red Vinyl: 200 Pressed.
Black: 300 Pressed.

(JB-052)Castaways and Cutouts: THREE separate pressings.
(All three pressed by Jealous Butcher)
Matrix Numbers: JB-052-A / JB-052-B and imprinted with "GOLDEN" ON THE FIRST TWO PRESSINGS

FIRST PRESSING:
Darker Green "Jade" Marbled Vinyl: 200 Pressed
Black 800 Pressed

SECOND PRESSING:
Lighter, "Creamy" Sea-foam Green, no marbling: 200 Pressed
Black 800 Pressed

THIRD PRESSING: (2006) New inner sleeves with printed lyrics replacing the old paper inserts.

Matrix Numbers (THIRD PRESSING): 67568E1/A and 67568E2/A

Heavy 180 Gram Black vinyl: No estimates on # Presed. New label.

(JB-053/KRS-425)Picaresque 2xLP: One pressing.
(Though Jealous Butcher lists catalog number JB-053 on the spine, the only matrix numbers/catalog data etched in the discs are: KRS-425-A/B/C/D and: 12990.1(3) / 12990.2 (3) and 12990.3 (3) 12990,4 (3) on sides A/B and C/D respectively. Also the imprinting "SAE MASTERING" Appears, though faintly on my copies.)

CLEAR BLUE A/B and CLEAR PURPLE C/D: 500 copies.
Black A/B and Black C/D: ??? Pressing numbers unknown.

ImageImage

*NOTES*

The differences between the first two pressings of Castaways and Her Majesty can only be judged by color of the records; or jackets in the case of her majesty. There seems to be no real way to accurately judge the black pressings as the etchings are all the same, so a completionist (like me) requires only one black pressing per release, except for Her Majesty.

The new 3rd pressings have slightly different jackets, new printed inner sleeves, and slightly different labels on the noticeably heavier 180 Gram vinyl.

"THE CAPITOL YEARS"
THE CRANE WIFE 2XLP: One Pressing. Probably.
(Pressed by Capitol Records : 2006)
(Catalog: C1 0946 3 53984 1 0 )
Matrix Numbers:
Y-53984 Side 1 S - 60493 RE - 1 SAE MASTERING
Y-53984 Side 2 S - 60494 RE - 1 SAE MASTERING
Y-53984 Side 3 S - 60495 RE - 1 SAE MASTERING
Y-53984 Side 4 S - 60496 RE - 1 SAE MASTERING

Heavy 140 Gram Black Vinyl.

THE PERFECT CRIME #2 EP:
2007 Capitol Records
CATALOG: 0946 3 98178 1 8

THE RAKE'S SONG b/w EAST INDIA LANES 7": One Pressing. LT'D TO 2000.
(Pressed by Capitol Records, Record Store Day 2009 Exclusive)
CATALOG: 50999 2 14710 7 0

ALWAYS THE BRIDESMAID: A SINGLES SERIES
US 12" Singles Series: Collaboration between Jealous Butcher and Y.A.B.B. Records 2008

(JB-074) Volume 1: Valerie Plame b/w O New England
Clear Red Vinyl: Ltd to ??? copies
Black Vinyl: Ltd to ??? copies

(JB-075) Volume 2: Days of Elaine b/w Days of Elaine (long) & I'm Sticking With You
Clear Green Vinyl: Ltd to ??? copies

(JB-076) Volume 3: Record Year for Rainfall b/w Raincoat Song
Clear Blue Vinyl: Ltd to ??? copies

UK IMPORTS

UK SINGLE LP PICARESQUE: One Pressing.
(Pressed by Rough Trade under license from KRS)

Matrix Numbers: RTRAD LP 256-A-1 and RTRAD LP 256-B-1. Side A also features a small signature that reads "Douer @ TOWNHOUSE" though that could say Doner, its a tough call, but @ TOWNHOUSE is easy to read :)

All copies on black vinyl, no estimate on number pressed.
This edition crams all 3 sides of Picaresque into one black slab of awesome. Notably absent is the "Side D" Picaresqueties, and instead of a nice book, the lyrics go on a sleeve, a la the Tain / 5 Songs presentation.

16 Military Wives Single b/w From My Own True Love (Demo)
Also pressed by Rough Trade under license from KRS.

Black Vinyl, unknown amount pressed.

Matrix numbers:

RTRAD S 271-A-1 and on the flip side: RTRAD S 271-B-1

A side features a clumsily etched "T. Debney" and on side B a simple T.B.

O Valencia! b/w After The Bombs
Rough Trade.

Black Vinyl, unknown amount pressed.

Matrix numbers:
RTRADS386A
RTRADS386B

(Scanned through a plastic sleeve that protects it from dust, hence the weirdness and reflections)
Word has it that the B-side is really "Culling of the Fold" and the sleeve is mistaken in marking it "After the Bombs;" I have no way of confirming at the moment, turntable on the fritz... Grumble...

Hope this helps! Happy hunting.

----------------------------------------
***UPDATED January 29, 2007:

The 1st and 2nd presses of the Tain fixed to reflect that 1st pressing has a cardstock insert along with a generic white inner sleeve whereas the 2nd pressings have a unique printed sleeve, and no extra insert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***UPDATED March 8, 2007:

O, Valencia! 7"
***UPDATED June 29, 2009:

Hi, remember me?
Updated:
1. Pic of Crane Wife Label
2. Pic of Black Billy Liar
3. Perfect Crime #2 EP
4. Always The Bridesmaid: US 12"
5. Rake's Song Record Store Day

Need Help With:
1. Hazards of Love LP
2. UK Bridesmaid 7"s
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Re: The Decemberists

Post by Scheckywhite »

Wow looks good. Lots of coloured wax in there, did not know about the coloured records for the always the bridesmaid series!
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

I got a 12" bridesmaid set from official merch store butthey came with dinged corners so I got pissed and hid them
Never opened the seal to see if they are actually colored or not. I preordered on time though so I assume they are.
*runs to open some vinyl boxes to check*
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

ha i never opened mine neither i just bought the mp3s along with the set
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

found them and opened one.
Lovely colored wax!
This is indeed a nice set! I need now to order a black set to replace my damaged jackets.
Along with the 7" set these form a nice bunch of merch!
davestef
Little Bird

Post by davestef »

wow, that was very informative.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

I received the HoL DVD a couple of days ago (which now appears Sold Out at their webstore)
and only managed to watch the first 2 songs due to an assignments that is keeping me busy.
Mixed feelings about it. Anyone got that to share his/her thoughts?
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

trickster wrote:I received the HoL DVD a couple of days ago (which now appears Sold Out at their webstore)
and only managed to watch the first 2 songs due to an assignments that is keeping me busy.
It's a college art project. I have not seen it yet. During their most recent tour, every show started with them rocking out for 60 minutes with NO break, doing the complete Hazards album from start to finish. Only got to see it 3 times, but it was awesome. Then they usually did a cover of Hearts 'Crazy on You' that was better than Heart's. Becky Stark (the Queen) can sing!

FYI - My avatar is their first, self released, CD - 5 songs. 'Apology Song' was added later to the reissue which made it 6 songs, but it was still called 5 songs. :?
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

stoutr wrote:
trickster wrote:I received the HoL DVD a couple of days ago (which now appears Sold Out at their webstore)
It's a college art project. I have not seen it yet. During their most recent tour, every show started with them rocking out for 60 minutes with NO break, doing the complete Hazards album from start to finish. Only got to see it 3 times, but it was awesome. Then they usually did a cover of Hearts 'Crazy on You' that was better than Heart's. Becky Stark (the Queen) can sing!

FYI - My avatar is their first, self released, CD - 5 songs. 'Apology Song' was added later to the reissue which made it 6 songs, but it was still called 5 songs. :?
I know about the avatar ;-)
Such a tease *drools* !

I will have the time to check the movie during Christmas holiday.
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Best show I have seen of Colin was in an friends livingroom with about 30 people. He sang and played guitar for an hour or so to raise some money for the OLCV (Oregon League of Conservation Voters). He forgot the lyrics to one of his songs that has made me cry (I call it Weird & Wonderful) about finding out his girlfreind/wife was pregnant, and I blurted out the second verse to get him back on track. :oops:

On this note, I think this is a good example for me of where OCD collecting behavior comes from. A band or experience in time has a profound effect on a person and, if that person is so inclined to collect, they do so with a vengance. It is a way for me to externalize and "hold on to" my deep connection with the music or that special moment in my life. .02 cents.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

stoutr wrote:Best show I have seen of Colin was in an friends livingroom with about 30 people. He sang and played guitar for an hour or so to raise some money for the OLCV (Oregon League of Conservation Voters). He forgot the lyrics to one of his songs that has made me cry (I call it Weird & Wonderful) about finding out his girlfreind/wife was pregnant, and I blurted out the second verse to get him back on track. :oops:

On this note, I think this is a good example for me of where OCD collecting behavior comes from. A band or experience in time has a profound effect on a person and, if that person is so inclined to collect, they do so with a vengance. It is a way for me to externalize and "hold on to" my deep connection with the music or that special moment in my life. .02 cents.
You saw Colin playing live in a living room :shock: :o
I can only dream of them playing live.
You are very lucky to live in their hometown and having such an amazing collection
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

For you tweeters: @colinmeloy @cfellis @natemusic @thedecemberists
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

awesome story. colin is definitely up there with JW in my idols.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Scheckywhite wrote:awesome story. colin is definitely up there with JW in my idols.
Yep!
for me too!
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »