Benjamin Booker

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Benjamin Booker

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I think it sounds great. Every time I hear a Live from TMR record, I am always struck by how perfectly clean they sound. There might be issues with the record itself sometimes, but the ambient sound of the Blue Room and quality of the recording are just so pristine and this one's no exception.

And Benjamin and his band sound terrific, to the point that I really, really wish I'd been at that show.
Thank you! Like mordecaibrown pointed out I was worried about the vocals. It's difficult to understand what he sings at times. I needed help deciding because the international shipping rates on tmr store are crazy! 80% of the price!!!

P.s nice username
Benjamin's got a style of singing that's kind of like listening to Charley Patton-- Really hard to decipher. After seeing him open for Jack at a couple shows and then listening to this, I'm no closer to being able to understand him but, like Patton, I just love the sound of his voice. I do want to look up the lyrics to some of his songs, though, and read them while I listen. Figure knowing the words'll make it easier to hear them on future listens. And how many times can I use the word "listen"...

And thanks.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Via Facebook;
Excited to finally share new music! Thanks NPR Music for premiering my new song “Witness” featuring Mavis Staples. Its the title track from my new album, out June 2. Pre-order it now: http://smarturl.it/witness-preorder
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

I went to the Santa Ana show last week and it was one of the more memorable shows I've been to lately. New songs are fantastic. He puts the guitar down for a quite a few of them. He also did a different version of Happy Homes that was better than the original. Mikki Itzigsohn and Matt Zuk from the Small Wigs are part his new band.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I saw him with Olivia Jean a few years back, and he was GREAT.
Following a LONG instrumental at the end of his set he just threw down his guitar, stepped off the stage, and off through the crowd.
I'd love to see him again.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I've been playing the lead single a ton lately.
Can't wait for the album.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

chaptertwentyone wrote:I've been playing the lead single a ton lately.
Can't wait for the album.
Same here! I made a poor excuse for a radio edit of it so that I could play it on air. I want the whole album so bad.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Another song off the album "Right On You" dropped today and I'm only liking the sound of this album more and more.
“Right On You” is about the selfish, lonely and hedonistic nature of modern life where death is ‘right on you’ but seems ‘hard to imagine’.
Here's a new one for ya'll off the new record, Witness, out June 2. http://smarturl.it/witness-preorder
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuNsiaead0
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

New album is streaming on NPR. Really diggin it!