Foo Fighters

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Foo Fighters

Post by arewhyehen »

After reading on the foos forum how bad some cities were...I take back my comment and restate it as things went well in Toronto and I got great tickets, even with them screwing my girlfriend and not giving her a wristband for the lottery when she was 5th in line and me being about 400-500 in line.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

After seeing them at the Ryman I don't think seeing them in an Arena would be any fun. Once and done I think.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:After seeing them at the Ryman I don't think seeing them in an Arena would be any fun. Once and done I think.
They are playing an amphitheatre in Toronto. Not a bad venue at all. So so happy they aren't playing the ACC arena again.

But yes..if it weren't for a wedding the day after the Ryman show..I would have been there. I kick myself for letting go of the ticket I had, but there weren't enough hours in the day for me to drive back and make the wedding. My girlfriend and her family wouldn't have been too impressed lol
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

It was a neat show. i don't know about traveling that far for it. I like the Foo Fighters but not a huge fan. I may be jaded. But there is no way they can pull of a show that good at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. That's my least favorite place to see a show.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

Wasting Light was a great album and actually brought me back from being just a casual fan to a big one again. I had all their albums but Wasting light was the trigger that made me re buy them all on vinyl. I won't do that for a lot of bands. I was back in though. I was hooked. THen I saw them at the ACC and was extremely disappointed. Everything was rehearsed, even the jokes in between songs. It was embarrassing.

When I had heard about the new album I was very optimistic the early descriptions were along the lines of "long, stadium rock songs and ballads." Then I heard they were recording a every song in a different city and that really peaked my interest. But having now watched 5 episodes of Sonic Highways (and hearing 5 of the 8 songs on the album) I have been really dissatisfied. It's a crap collection of forced songs that all more generic than the formula they normally stick to. I thought that going to a city for a week and forcing yourself to write a song would really cripple you creatively. In my opinion, I've been spot on.

I always liked the idea of guys going off for a few months and doing their own thing and having ideas come to them organically. Like someone isolating themselves up in a cabin in the woods, or someone going away to the Philippines for a few weeks and discovering new culture. Everyone comes back with ideas and they build and create and feed off one another.

This Sonic Highways though, every songs is very safe for the the Foo Fighters, which is disappointing and missed a huge opportunity I think. There were mentions in the early episodes that they consciously were aware that their surroundings could have influenced their song writing and that they didn't want that to happen. That statement right there shows how the concept of this album was brilliant, the execution was wrong and the opportunity was missed.

Anyway, I still have 3 songs to hear, although I'm not exactly restless to hear them. Hopefully something gets better. The show itself has been remarkable. An amazing musical history lesson from every city. All across the scope and done really well. Just the Foo songs themselves that blow.

So yeah, Long story short, I couldn't be bothered to drive an hour, find parking and stand outside for a few hours while my wife is at home with our three day old son so I can get tickets to a show for a band that will be touring their second worst album ever and will most likely be supporting it with a fully rehearsed, choreographed show. I'll wait for the public sale, If I pull better than good seats I'll grab them as my wife still really likes them but for me, They've taken a huge step back. And I really wish they hadn't.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

I have been fortunate enough to have seen a lot of great bands in small venues. Foo Fighters being one of them
Funny thing is that when the experience was great I'm often reluctant to go see a band again probably out if fear of being disappointed plus the larger venues really put me off.
A lot of bands I will go and see whenever I can play small or special venues.
U2 probably being the only exception
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

How has the ticketing been working for these secret shows?
Could I send my brother down to buy the ticket for me or would they check ID when I show up at doors?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

TheHen0 wrote:How has the ticketing been working for these secret shows?
Could I send my brother down to buy the ticket for me or would they check ID when I show up at doors?
Each show has been different. Nashville they checked to make sure your ID matched up with your credit card.
This NY show sounds like it's more tickets are sold and you go right into the venue....
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Post by yolomanolo »

anybody managed to get tickets for the surprise los angeles show today? i tried for about an hour then the site crashed just as it finally found tickets for me.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Looks like Dave just broke his leg on stage over in Europe.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:Looks like Dave just broke his leg on stage over in Europe.
Yeah, I've been following this..ugh fuck. I'm suppose to see them two nights, three weeks from now. The Foo Fighters just ain't the Foo Fighters without Dave running up and down the stage for two hours.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

He broke it pretty good

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

But he finished playing the show! Something like 18 songs after he came back on stage. Dude is baller!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:But he finished playing the show! Something like 18 songs after he came back on stage. Dude is baller!
That's why he's one of the best dudes in rock and roll. Love dave!
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Anyone going?
https://instagram.com/p/4nF2uVyk-_/
Hey DC... Opening tomorrow at Union Station:
20th Anniversary Pop Up Shop!
Loads of Limited Edition designs, RFK exclusives, out of print vinyl (including Medium Rare and Songs From the Laundry Room) & an Exclusive Show Poster, only available at this shop.
First 10 people thru the doors tomorrow get a free prize just for coming in.
Union Station
40 Massachusetts Ave
Washington, DC
Upstairs in the Mezzanine Level (across from the Pepper Palace!)
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426