Ty Segall

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
Moller72
Little Ghost

Re: Ty Segall

Post by Moller72 »

I'm seeing him tonight in oklahoma so hopefully there are some of those tp's left.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Moller72 wrote:I'm seeing him tonight in oklahoma so hopefully there are some of those tp's left.
Totally curious if there will be—report back on the gig and this too!
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
spastic.jerk
Little Cream Soda

Post by spastic.jerk »

So happy this was a TP and not exclusive music so I don't have to mortgage the house! So much new stuff coming out every time I stop in here I'm happy I've got so much help keeping up with it all.
redj3264
Little Bird

Post by redj3264 »

Im not new to the board, just never signed up to write but.....Moller 72, if you could grab a copy of the test press for me i could paypal the cash! Also, hello to everyone!!!!
Hair
Little Acorn

Post by Hair »

I got a reply from Lance at Permanent who said he asked Ty about leftover test pressings and is all out. Someone else said they'd ask for me as well, fingers crossed he comes across some extra copies.
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Moller72 wrote:I'm seeing him tonight in oklahoma so hopefully there are some of those tp's left.
I would vote for us to use the term "white label promo" or WLP for stuff like this. As far as I am concerned, if there are more than 5 or 10 copies made and especially if they are sold at a retail venue, they are not test pressings.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
ooowvinyl
Little Acorn

Post by ooowvinyl »

Yeah, as i mentioned in SXSW thread, my friend who tried to buy a copy for me but it was sold out, asked and was told there were 40 sold that night..
My Ty Segall Collection: http://m.imgur.com/a/cc8Ug
Dr.Zissou
Little Acorn

Post by Dr.Zissou »

I'm not really too bummed about this one. It's not like I have any ty TPs anyway.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

stoutr wrote:
I would vote for us to use the term "white label promo" or WLP for stuff like this. As far as I am concerned, if there are more than 5 or 10 copies made and especially if they are sold at a retail venue, they are not test pressings.
It doesn't have a white label or say promo. The record has a URP TEST PRESSING label. You can call it what you like, but I'll call it what it says....
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Hair
Little Acorn

Post by Hair »

Dr.Zissou wrote:I'm not really too bummed about this one. It's not like I have any ty TPs anyway.
I'm mostly bummed that people were able to score a new and super limited Ty single for only $5, such a bargain.
Dr.Zissou
Little Acorn

Post by Dr.Zissou »

Hair wrote:
Dr.Zissou wrote:I'm not really too bummed about this one. It's not like I have any ty TPs anyway.
I'm mostly bummed that people were able to score a new and super limited Ty single for only $5, such a bargain.
True... But you'll be able to get the real single eventually. Although it won't be a test press. I guess the thing I'm holding on to is that it's a test press :) and hey! If it's drag city... Maybe they'll repress the test press
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Stl_ben wrote:
stoutr wrote:
It doesn't have a white label or say promo. The record has a URP TEST PRESSING label. You can call it what you like, but I'll call it what it says....
Your mistake, I guess. A test pressing has a purpose, a real meaning to people who collect records and is a real thing. URP sticking a different label on something means nothing. It's similar to the green label Sympathy test presses and the white label ones. I'm not saying it isn't a cool thing to own, or that they are not worth more money than a regular release, but I am saying they are NOT test pressings.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

No tp's tonight didn't even see a poster. It was a killer show though the sound sucked and the I could barely hear Ty's vocals.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

stoutr wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
stoutr wrote:
Your mistake, I guess. A test pressing has a purpose, a real meaning to people who collect records and is a real thing. URP sticking a different label on something means nothing. It's similar to the green label Sympathy test presses and the white label ones. I'm not saying it isn't a cool thing to own, or that they are not worth more money than a regular release, but I am saying they are NOT test pressings.
Okay, I'm gonna be another voice shouting against the wind.

Of course these are test pressings. Whether they pressed 10 for the band + label, or that number plus 30 more so Ty had something special to sell at the show, the quantity pressed doesn't matter. The ones they sold at the show are the same exact text pressings Drag City ordered from URP for themselves and the band.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

woodisgood wrote:
stoutr wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
stoutr wrote:
A test pressing has a purpose, a real meaning to people who collect records and is a real thing. URP sticking a different label on something means nothing. It's similar to the green label Sympathy test presses and the white label ones. I'm not saying it isn't a cool thing to own, or that they are not worth more money than a regular release, but I am saying they are NOT test pressings.
Okay, I'm gonna be another voice shouting against the wind.

Of course these are test pressings. Whether they pressed 10 for the band + label, or that number plus 30 more so Ty had something special to sell at the show, the quantity pressed doesn't matter. The ones they sold at the show are the same exact text pressings Drag City ordered from URP for themselves and the band.
I hear you, but if I drive my Big Wheel on the freeway, does that make it an automobile? They are the same pressings and have the same vibes in the grooves, but they just aren't test pressings. Promotional items? Giveaway? FIRST pressings? I'm open to that, but I feel there needs to be an old school definition of test pressings, lest the kids of today forget.

So, if they are of COURSE test pressings, define test pressing for me.
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim