Ty Segall

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
krisro
Little Bird

Re: Ty Segall

Post by krisro »

chaptertwentyone wrote:Over in a Facebook group someone pointed out that they think they'd heard this before, and I knew it was on the tip of my tongue too...

https://youtu.be/IdJe74Ty5TM
Not to mention played at several shows in June - Baby's All Right, Mercury Lounge, Rough Trade. All shows available on NYC Taper.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

krisro wrote:
chaptertwentyone wrote:Over in a Facebook group someone pointed out that they think they'd heard this before, and I knew it was on the tip of my tongue too...

https://youtu.be/IdJe74Ty5TM
Not to mention played at several shows in June - Baby's All Right, Mercury Lounge, Rough Trade. All shows available on NYC Taper.
That's what I was referencing since I was at both the Baby's and Mercury show.
Had tickets to the RT show, but passed on it.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Ty is coming back to Pickathon this year. Ex Cult too. They've only announced a third of the lineup so far.
read-dog
Little Cream Soda

Post by read-dog »

Anyone listen to the new album? Thoughts?
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I have not, but it looks to have been leaked.
https://www.youtube.com/user/willyxpete
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
ooowvinyl
Little Acorn

Post by ooowvinyl »

read-dog wrote:Anyone listen to the new album? Thoughts?

I thought is was going to be like a "Sleeper 2" since "Orange Colored Queen" was pretty much the single. So like more acoustic. But, the first couple tracks were pretty heavy and kinda all over the place. Like he was trying to be "Fuzz" but with no direction. But it sounds like he's really trying to do new sounds, which is good, but the whole album doesn't have much uniformity. Like he had a song that was like a "jam band" type song, then a song that was sounding kinda "Country" wtf? The deeper I listened into the tracklist the more I was enjoying it though. There are of course some real good songs. Only gave it one listen. Too soon to tell.
My Ty Segall Collection: http://m.imgur.com/a/cc8Ug
read-dog
Little Cream Soda

Post by read-dog »

ooowvinyl wrote:

I thought is was going to be like a "Sleeper 2" since "Orange Colored Queen" was pretty much the single. So like more acoustic. But, the first couple tracks were pretty heavy and kinda all over the place. Like he was trying to be "Fuzz" but with no direction. But it sounds like he's really trying to do new sounds, which is good, but the whole album doesn't have much uniformity. Like he had a song that was like a "jam band" type song, then a song that was sounding kinda "Country" wtf? The deeper I listened into the tracklist the more I was enjoying it though. There are of course some real good songs. Only gave it one listen. Too soon to tell.

Only listened to it 3 times now.

I'm a bit divided...

I'm surprised how much it reminds me of Emotional Mugger. I was hoping that would have been just a one off sound. Not that I hated it, but wasn't my favorite release.

I need Broken Bat....
ooowvinyl
Little Acorn

Post by ooowvinyl »

read-dog wrote:
ooowvinyl wrote:

Only listened to it 3 times now.

I'm a bit divided...

I'm surprised how much it reminds me of Emotional Mugger. I was hoping that would have been just a one off sound. Not that I hated it, but wasn't my favorite release.

I need Broken Bat....

Yeah, im definitely feeling more Emotional Mugger type of vibe out of this now. Which yeah, is not my favorite type of Ty.
My Ty Segall Collection: http://m.imgur.com/a/cc8Ug
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Huh.
How is everyone hearing the album already?
Did it leak elsewhere or is it streaming somewhere?
Regardless, I was anticipating a more "Sleeper" and acoustic vibe myself and after reading over the description over again I realized that wasn't the case and I'm perfectly alright with that.
Personally, I really, really loved the whole Muggers aesthetic and sound.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Hair
Little Acorn

Post by Hair »

Surprised at the Mugger comparisons, most of it reminds me of a heavier, more disjointed Manipulator. I do think the folkier songs might be my favourite at this stage, would have been cool to see a full electric Sleeper type album.
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

Hair wrote:Surprised at the Mugger comparisons, most of it reminds me of a heavier, more disjointed Manipulator. I do think the folkier songs might be my favourite at this stage, would have been cool to see a full electric Sleeper type album.

Im right there with you. I hear sounds from all his albums in this one. And those who were expecting sleeper 2 or goodbye bread 2 should have read the press release about this having some of his heavier tracks. Personally im more excited to hear thank you mr. K live than I am about Orange color queen.

i saw him at a secret show at the Griffin in LA last week and he ended it with an electric jam version of sleeper. Definitely should be a regular in his set list
Hair
Little Acorn

Post by Hair »

Nice, I swung by the Griffin around 10:45 and decided to hold out until Feb 2 at the Teragram rather than wait in the rain with the possibility of not even catching the set. Heard he played a bunch of even newer songs also, how were they?
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

Yeah I got there around 10:30 and ended up getting in after waiting 15 minutes. I was thinking about just holding out and waiting for the teragram shows as well, but I couldn't resist. Also he only played a few tracks off the upcoming album. He played about 4 or 5 songs that are for an album he said that wasn't coming out till the end of the year. This might be my favorite band lineup Ty has toured with, Charles playing drums is so fun to watch.
Johny Boy
Little Acorn

Post by Johny Boy »

The ultimate question is : Will Ty smash a toilet bowl every time he plays thank you mr K. Live ?
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Via The Guardian;
He goes upstairs and plays some songs off his computer, connected to a dusty vintage hi-fi. “This is the new record,” he tells me. The album out this month? “No, this isn’t out yet,” he says – these are the demos for his 10th album, which will be out in a year. He’s already almost finished it. Segall, always restless, is already on to the next thing.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”