How to use White Swirl Widgets and Tags, Bump Your Thread

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

How to use White Swirl Widgets and Tags, Bump Your Thread

Post by rsimms3 »

I had someone ask me how to use the YouTube widget today so I thought it might be useful to have a thread we could point to that explains how the widgets and some of the coding works.

Code
The code tag prevents the board from executing the code you have typed in the post. Meaning that if you want to show someone the code instead of the outcome, you surroud it with the code tag.
Instead of seeing the YouTube video in the post, you see the actual code used to post YouTube videos. If you didn't have the code code, you'd see the video.

Code: Select all

[youtube]I2bVZU4E4Jc[/youtube]

Post a picture hosted on another site, has to end in a picture filetype such as .jpg to work. Links that don't end in a picture file type don't generally work.

[img]http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/whiteswirllogo_11.png[/img]

eBay
This is used to post an eBay auction viewable in a thread. The viewer can see the price, time left on the auction, zoom on the picture of the item, view the seller name, anonymous high bidder, number of bids, etc. without needing to leave White Swirl and go to eBay. Use the ebay tag with the auction number inbetween the tags. The eBay auction number is located on the right side of the auction listing under the sellers name and other information. It is generally a 12 digit number. The widget works with active and completed auctions provided the auction is still available in the eBay database.

[ebay]110738353332[/ebay]
[ebay]110738353332[/ebay]

MP3
Share MP3s directly with others using the MP3 widget which will create a player on the site that you can play songs with directly. Instead of opening a desktop player or going to the site, the song plays within the post just as a YouTube video plays when you link to YouTube. The URL must end in .MP3 to work properly.

[mp3]http://www.urpdist.com/active/onesheets/thirdman/tmr109.mp3[/mp3]

Spoiler
If used, the text written between the tags will not be shown, instead it will be blacked out. Users will need to highlight the blacked out area to see the text you have written. This tag does not work with images like on other boards, only text.

[spoiler]This is how the spoiler tag works.[/spoiler]
This is how the spoiler tag works.

Vimeo
Places a small version of the video in the post so that users can watch the video on the site without having to actually go to Vimeo. Use the Vimeo tag with the video number between the tags. The video number is located in the URL after the /.
Example of URL -

http://vimeo.com/7442369

[vimeo]7442369[/vimeo]

YouTube
Just like Vimeo. The easiest way to get the video ID is to click "share" under the video and use the last set of numbers/letters/symbols after the / just like for Vimeo.
Example URL

http://youtu.be/sudk3ZdMsVA

[youtube]sudk3ZdMsVA[/youtube]

BUMP
After a single day you can bump a thread if you started it. Go to the last post of the thread and find the link as seen in the picture below. In doing some research, looks like you can only bump your thread once. After that a new post needs to be made and then you can bump it again 1 day after the last post was made.
bump.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rsimms3 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
higherlimits
Little People

Re: How to use White Swirl Widgets and Tags

Post by higherlimits »

nice work1

and what is youtu.be? I've seen it a few times but not sure what it is..
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

Do you guys know how to autoplay dick dale's miserlou? You didn't show us that yet.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

higherlimits wrote:nice work1

and what is youtu.be? I've seen it a few times but not sure what it is..

'youtu.be' is just youtube's shortened url...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

VERY helpful. Thanks so much!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Bump for a reminder on how to use widgets and tags.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Re: How to use White Swirl Widgets and Tags, Bump Your Threa

Post by TwinkleLights »

Is there a way to place a photo in a PM if the photo is not hosted on a site, just a file on your PC?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

TwinkleLights wrote:Is there a way to place a photo in a PM if the photo is not hosted on a site, just a file on your PC?
I just checked, doesn't look like that is possible.
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

Okay. Thanks! --- For the answer and for the fact that I feel like less of an idiot [that I couldn't figure out how to do it] now 8-)
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

How do you add an MP3 to a post?
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

It has to be an external link that ends in .mp3, then you add the mp3 code around it just like an externally linked image -

[mp3]http://thirdmanrecords.com/media/roll_me_up_edit.mp3[/mp3]
Although it doesn't seem to be working at the moment, it should. Adam probably broke the board last night.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

MP3 widget appears to be broken again.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

potentially should work now? my work internet blocks stuff like this so I can't actually confirm if it's working or not.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

higherlimits wrote:potentially should work now? my work internet blocks stuff like this so I can't actually confirm if it's working or not.
Nope. Went from nothing to a white block where the player should be.