Actual Website Improvements

higherlimits
Little People

Actual Website Improvements

Post by higherlimits »

Alright folks, I've got tentative agreement from someone who is willing to work on White Swirl. I guess we should figure out what we want before it gets too far along so here's your chance to let us know what you want!

Please offer up any suggestions that might make this site as good as possible.
trickster
Greek Mod

Re: Actual Website Improvements

Post by trickster »

So as discussed somewhere else we need to have a database with all Jack related merch so each user can add them to their collection, put them for trade etc.
Also a feature that keeps a history of each item's price on eBay .
Pretty much like EB
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

What info from sales do we want tracked? Price, Date, auction number, item number (ie. poster 34/175) etc....

and what info do we want in the collection part?
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

higherlimits wrote:What info from sales do we want tracked? Price, Date, auction number, item number (ie. poster 34/175) etc....

and what info do we want in the collection part?
I think that the collection part needs to be done by us.
Someone will have to make a huge list of every item.
Or we can add them as time goes by from the front end of the forum contol panel.

Vinyl will need to have different data stored than merch (Inchophone, nesting dolls etc)
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Yes, but what info from the sales do we want? I'd probably add all the merch myself but that'd be done just like EB, through a form..
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Just price and date is enough I guess
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

Could we not just copy EB's individual item template exactly? Like we don't really need their excessive stuff like New Releases, Art of the Day, Hot Today etc

For the details for each item- A blurb, Original price, Quantity, Designed by, Sold on (date/year), and then a sales history like EB's.
Then a wanted and a for sale tab too would be good.
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

Hey what if there was a little text box to tell how you got the item?
"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

Majority of which would say: 'ebay'
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

One thing I always thought would improve on EB's structure would be to have seperate tabs in your "collection". In our case for LPs, 45s, merch, posters, handbills etc. Or you could do it by band, a tab for each band or whatever, maybe that would be better. I don't need that Transit crap crampin my style. :P

I've always thought EB would benefit from having the gigposters and handbills in a seperate tab from art prints. Maybe I just over-compartmentalize in my mind. I suppose EB does allow you to sort by band/artist/etc

I think the really significant thing that would take this site to the next level would be a value tracking index like EB, the info we want to have associated with every item is pretty obvious.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

7th_son wrote:One thing I always thought would improve on EB's structure would be to have seperate tabs in your "collection" for LPs, 45s, merch, posters, handbills etc. Or you could do it by band, a tab for each band or whatever.

I've always thought EB would benefit from having the gigposters and handbills in a seperate tab from art prints. Maybe I just over-compartmentalize in my mind.

I think the info we want to have associated with every item is pretty obvious, see EB.
This makes sense to me make it just like EB but split up the categories.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

7th_son wrote:One thing I always thought would improve on EB's structure would be to have seperate tabs in your "collection". In our case for LPs, 45s, merch, posters, handbills etc. Or you could do it by band, a tab for each band or whatever, maybe that would be better. I don't need that Transit crap crampin my style. :P

I've always thought EB would benefit from having the gigposters and handbills in a seperate tab from art prints.

I think the really significant thing that would take this site to the next level would be a value tracking index like EB, the info we want to have associated with every item is pretty obvious.
Agreed. Mention of the condition of items is also a must. I also like how EB omits anomalies (items in poor condition, sold in sets) from their averages.

Are we talking about any user-only data tracking as well? Personally, EB leaves me wishing I had some reporting capabilities, along with a means of flagging groups of associated images (while we're asking for the moon...)

One question... I always assumed that users somehow posted public auction information on EB, which doesn't always make for complete snapshots. Would data from eBay and other public auction sites be automatically "dumped" into this database or would users here be responsible for entering the information? Lastly, being a stickler for data consistency, would there be a submissions guru to standardize records? (HP HYFTH vs. Hand-Painted Hang You From The Heavens, etc.)

This is a pretty large project. Thanks, and best of luck!
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

On EB the users usually put in the auction number to track it. I
do not think we would have the capabilities to do a dump from
eBay with keyword spamming and everything else it almost seems
impossible. I think something just like EB is a good starting point
then we could upgrade from there.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

A few things another collector board I'm a member of does that are pretty neat:

1. Somehow they do pull in ebay auctions. (not sure the mechanism, it might even be manual by the moderators. That site has thousands of members and lots of moderators)

2. They allow for user submitted information. Anyone can submit information about a sale which helps get private sales in the db. However these are moderated and typically validated in some way. They do this to keep people from falsely inflating values and such. The source of the listing is also shown (ebay, grimtale, etc) which includes user name if a person.

3. They charge something like $10/year or $20/3 years for membership to get to view the db. Its reasonable but yet keeps out kids just playing around. Also helps fund the hosting. without a membership you can see item titles and average price but no details of individual sales or the ability to submit items or review items.

4. Users can flag items for review. If someone things an item is incorrect in some way, these get reviewed by moderators for validity and might get removed.

5. They also have an export to pdf option. This allows people to export item titles and average price (but not the details, pics and individual sales) for making a check list or shopping list :-) Looks like a spreadsheet when you export it but in pdf.

6. Few other features like turning on or off pictures, ability to post a "looking for this item" or "have one for trade/sale" comment for an item.

Just a few ideas. Not sure any of them apply here as these two boards are for fairly different types of collectibles.
-Grim
I am everything you hate...