12. Influences and Career as a Gig Poster Artist

at Animal Rummy
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

12. Influences and Career as a Gig Poster Artist

Post by kevron6 »

What made you decide to get into designing gig posters? When starting in this business who did you admire, how did they influence you, and have you ever sought out their advice?
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Re: Influences and Career as a Gig Poster Artist

Post by kevron6 »

Rob Jones: My friend Dirty Steve Sanchez started a band called Pink Swords and asked me to make all their posters. Since they were the Dead Boys in a blender, I readily agreed. That’s how I got started.

I admire Frank Kozik first and foremost. His primary influence was that his work forced me to give a shit about gig posters (although you can see more of a direct visual influence in my early flier work for the Swords).

The only advice I’ve petitioned from him concerned his thoughts on creating posters for Japanese shows (he said to keep them small, and I obeyed).

Jermaine Rogers also has a strong influence. His work made me feel comfortable incorporating more esoteric imagery, personal philosophy, and narrative themes across several posters . The lobby card series for the Raconteurs has a direct debt to Jermaine’s work.

I’ve asked him for a lot of advice early in my “career” that I try to pass on to others (credited to him of course).
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Re: Influences and Career as a Gig Poster Artist

Post by 7th_son »

kevron6 wrote:Rob Jones:
The only advice I’ve petitioned from him [Kozik] concerned his thoughts on creating posters for Japanese shows (he said to keep them small, and I obeyed).
I suppose that explains the size of this one:

kevron6 wrote:Rob Jones: Jermaine Rogers also has a strong influence. His work made me feel comfortable incorporating more esoteric imagery, personal philosophy, and narrative themes across several posters . The lobby card series for the Raconteurs has a direct debt to Jermaine’s work.

I’ve asked him for a lot of advice early in my “career” that I try to pass on to others (credited to him of course).
Some will already know this, but Rob used some trickery in dedicating this poster to Jermaine. Show was on the 27th, title reads "Reverse the Day".