21 - Collectability

20 + 1 Questions with Ben!
MegBot3000
Site Admin

21 - Collectability

Post by MegBot3000 »

Why do you feel that the White Stripes (and Jack in general) are much more collectable than other bands in this era?
WhiteSwirl takes no responsibility for MegBot malfunctions.
subpopfan1
Pinball Wizard

Re: 21 - Collectability

Post by subpopfan1 »

I think the White Stripes are simply better than most every other band out there and it's shown through the rabidity of their fans. All the releases have a unifying theme and it makes them that much more fun to put on display. Plus the forays into cameras and Inchophones and all that other fun stuff really does cater to the collector mindset. We saw a handful of White Stripes records sell last year in the four-figure range (five that I specifically know of)...is there any other act their age who's commanding those prices? Shit like that usually takes DECADES of dutiful documentation to get to that point. Plus, there's always something special cooking with Jack and Meg. You will hardly ever experience a lull in trying to find new White Stripes things to collect. They keep it exciting.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

subpopfan1 wrote:All the releases have a unifying theme and it makes them that much more fun to put on display.
This is a huge factor I think. Everything just fits together so nicely that you want it all.

subpopfan1 wrote:We saw a handful of White Stripes records sell last year in the four-figure range (five that I specifically know of)...is there any other act their age who's commanding those prices? Shit like that usually takes DECADES of dutiful documentation to get to that point.
This is a pretty amazing truth as well. Are there any others bands from this generation in quite the same league?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

if you look at a list of most valuable records you'll see that by the end (number 10-20) the value is less than $20,000. I dont think a handpainted is too far from the top. I don't know if we'll see one on ebay though. I'd be surprised if one went up before the White Stripes breakup, there might be a "panic sale" at that time though.