Dead Weather Risen Again....

Coming soon...
pigammon
Little Cream Soda

Re: Dead Weather Risen Again....

Post by pigammon »

woodisgood wrote:You think you know everything, and then you realize how wrong you are. Had zero clue this existed . . .
Why is this US only? I need it... :(
Avatar is Fall by Bridget Riley. (1963)
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

G-squared wrote:
koala wrote:
G-squared wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Jack's got a new store to open end of November, if anything happened I can't imagine it would be before the Detroit store opens.
Or maybe when the Detroit store opens? hmmmmm, Grand opening performance: that would not be "touring".
Yes but "he will be taking a break from performing live for a long period of time". So any kind of performance is out of question.
Absolutes kill hope. Dude is an artist and I would like to believe he follows his fancy. To me that equals 'anything is possible'. You and I just have a difference of quotes that neither of us have cited. How do you define a long period of time?
I would assume longer than Blunderbuss ---> Lazaretto, if he felt the need to make an announcement about it. (And presumably he did that for a reason, rather than just leaving performance decisions open to whim, etc. But obviously I can't read his mind, so . . . )
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:I would assume longer than Blunderbuss ---> Lazaretto, if he felt the need to make an announcement about it. (And presumably he did that for a reason, rather than just leaving performance decisions open to whim, etc. But obviously I can't read his mind, so . . . )
This is the impression I had, too. He's been known to say things and then seemingly contradict himself before but, like aqua said, why bother making such a point of it if he's not serious about it?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:I would assume longer than Blunderbuss ---> Lazaretto, if he felt the need to make an announcement about it. (And presumably he did that for a reason, rather than just leaving performance decisions open to whim, etc. But obviously I can't read his mind, so . . . )
This is the impression I had, too. He's been known to say things and then seemingly contradict himself before but, like aqua said, why bother making such a point of it if he's not serious about it?
thanks for those points. all of that is very logical - I wouldn't have thought of that time span as a point of reference, but can't argue with it. I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for that announcement was related to the sh*t storm of stupidity (dare I say harassment?) that was everywhere towards the end of that tour. And again, a one-off surprise gig, in my mind, doesn't seem impossible. Until I hear that he has a physical obstacle to playing, anything is possible. he's a punker at heart, right?

I guess my point simplified is:
What would Love be without wishful thinking?
AAAFNRAA
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

G-squared wrote: I guess my point simplified is:
AAAFNRAA
Again another acronym fiasco never really achieving anything?
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Like they said^. He sounded very serious about the whole not performing thing so I assumed that he would keep his word. Not just performing but I also feel we won't get any new music from him for some time(after Dodge&Burn). I think he's just leaving the spotlight and taking a back seat for a while, releasing other artists' records on TMR.
I would love to be wrong, but I can't help feel this is what will happen.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

pigammon wrote:
Why is this US only? I need it... :(
Pretty much how I feel for every other TMR announcement. :lol:
love_islander wrote:
G-squared wrote: I guess my point simplified is:
AAAFNRAA
Again another acronym fiasco never really achieving anything?
Add an acronym for no reason at all
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

koala wrote: Add an acronym for no reason at all
I did it on purpose, and you are so close it makes me think you know the Acronym and are having fun. I could be wrong, but thanks for playing regardless.

It is a zappa motto:

Anything Anytime Anyplace For No reason At All
Life is Music
Iggy Pop
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

G-squared wrote:
koala wrote: Add an acronym for no reason at all
I did it on purpose, and you are so close it makes me think you know the Acronym and are having fun. I could be wrong, but thanks for playing regardless.

It is a zappa motto:

Anything Anytime Anyplace For No reason At All
I was just kidding.
I didn't know the acronym. That was just a really close guess. :lol:
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I hear you on the wishful thinking, anyway, G-squared. I'd LOVE to hear the new songs live!

What stupidity/harassment were you referring to, given that it was during the fall European shows that he started saying he wouldn't be returning to places for a long time? (I think possibly even the last run of US shows, though I can't remember now.) I mean, anything in particular, or just a general vibe?

I meant the last run of US shows in the fall, btw.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

I was thinking of the leaked tour rider as the jumping off point for the stupidity. I seem to have pushed most of the derivative idiotic dribble that followed that out of my head. There was also a lot of negativity directed at him around the TIDAL launch.

I didn't know he had made comments "on tour" ..<edit= or that early>... My opinion was based on me thinking he had only made a comment in vault chat. I get the strength of your opinions now.

I still think that any artist as prolific as Jack is going to have to follow the muse when she beckons - no matter what the task. I also believe that the only true metric of success is joy. I wish him success in whatever he chooses to do. we are all sure to benefit from that.

I just realized that today is 1 year since I saw him - his ankle looked like it was the size of a grapefruit (in the photo) and he still left everyone satisfied :clap:
Life is Music
Iggy Pop
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Wow, I was at that show too, hadn't realized it was a year ago! Fantastic show. 8-) I have to think he must have been in major pain, too.

As for the rider leak, etc., well, I don't know that he would let things like that influence his business decisions, I get the impression he has things planned out way in advance, like the American Epic thing that's been in the works a couple of years. But I'm just speculating like everyone else, obviously.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Aquamarine wrote: well, I don't know that he would let things like that influence his business decisions,
yep. that's where I was coming from. business, muse, whatever, jack is gonna look himself in the mirror and listen to jack. so, just to get me fully up to speed: he hasn't commented on any specific reason for the break, right?
Life is Music
Iggy Pop
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Not to my knowledge. I think the only official comment was the one on the Vault, which didn't get into specifics, but was very categorical. (That's why I'm thinking he had to be pretty definite that this is what he would want to do, otherwise no point making an announcement.)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I think the second show in Austin, TX back at the end of January was the first I've heard of that he began saying "I won't see you again for a long while", and that was a week or so before the tour rider debacle. He'd also begun talking in interviews as early as last fall about getting into film "within the next couple of years". So there were intimations before the official announcement that he might have very different plans in mind when the Laz tour came to an end. Some of those interviews made it sound as if he might be feeling a bit tapped out musically and wanting to explore other artistic avenues to keep himself stimulated. But, again, he's full of surprises, so who knows? I think you nailed it--
G-squared wrote:business, muse, whatever, jack is gonna look himself in the mirror and listen to jack.
My feeling is that truer words ^^ have never been spoken. And thank God or whatever's above for it. No matter what he does, we're going to benefit from it somehow.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."