Gig: Detroit 09 Fillmore

Coming soon...
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Gig: Detroit 09 Fillmore

Post by 7th_son »

Took a roadtrip down from TO for the show. It was really cool to see some of the places you hear so much about and the Fillmore was amazing, one of the best venues I've seen a show at for sure. Really enjoyed hearing Screaming Females for the second time, I now own all of their records if that says anything about what I thought of their performance. The lead, Marissa is absolutely stellar on the guitar.

TDW were tight, and I did enjoy their set. Jack is great on drums, he has some subtle but smooth finger tricks with the drumsticks as well. The songs sounded great, I was glad to not be right in front of the stacks though. It was exactly the same set from TO though, and while not unexpected, it certainly took something away from the show for me. Seeing Jack on guitar for one song only made me realize how much I would prefer to be watching the Stripes. I like Allison and all, but the second night her antics seemed kind of forced, which they are I guess. Although there isn't much reason to compare the bands aside from Jack, seeing The White Stripes several times in one tour is far more rewarding from my perspective. Each show seems unique. I wouldn't travel very far (by plane) to see this band again unless I really like the next record. I would see them if they came to my town though or at least within driving distance, but that is highly unlikely.

Someone above said that no one said hi to Ben when he came out after the show. That isn't true. I spoke with him on the sidewalk for a bit after the show, great guy to talk to.

Oh also, there was literally a fist fight happening in the parking lot of the Hotel Yorba while we were taking pictures. It was quite a sight. And the Masonic Temple was impressive.

Here are some videos my lady shot from stage left:

Jack's band intro and I am God joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GZ-h0SAQc

No Hassle Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCvSl86cf0

So Far From Your Weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmpnkbErhs

You Just Can't Win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmpnkbErhs

Hang You From the Heavens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLhp8yN6lK4

Some pics (apologies for the pic overload, I tried to narrow it down):

loripanori
Vampire Slayer

Re: Gig: Detroit 09 Fillmore

Post by loripanori »

There was also a big guy hanging out one of the windows of the Hotel Yorba with no shirt on, but I think he was just watching the fist fight in the parking lot, so that was probably totally normal.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

great pics you guys!

can you discuss thew text in that poster? lol ~ is it meant to be off center? it looks like thew were trying to line the "light" in the center w/ the *W* and ended up cutting some letters out.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
loripanori
Vampire Slayer

Post by loripanori »

I think you're right Nicole, when the W from "Dead Weather" was lined up with the Yellow triangle, some of that line of text was cut off... I guess it was probably intentional, and/or RJ liked how it turned out when it was lined up like that, but I do kinda wish you could read more of the second line... Mostly just because it was so exciting to see the show at the Fillmore in Detroit, but the poster only says "MORE". haha. :)
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

guess it's all in the artist's interpretation... lol ~ but it doesn't look complete to me. i like the light in the center, but to lose letter/words makes no sense to me. thanks lori! :)
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Fixed the video links, sorry about that.
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

If I ever go to detroit I'm seeking out the Hotel Yorba and

a) shootinbg my own little moc-bvideo
b) Stealing some stuff with the name on it.
c) Stealing the T, A, R and one of the O's off that giant sign.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Man if you had of seen the area of town this place was in, you might re-think the duration of your visit. :lol: I should have took a wider shot..
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

The Fillmore is a GREAT venue...I seen The Black Keys there in January... Word to the wise... Do Not go around Hotel Yorba at night, or even in the day unless you are packin heat.,. We wanted to go there, but all the locals we met said stay away.....If you go to Detroit, hit the Motown museum...
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................