Old Mary

Discuss the weather here...
12stars

Re: Old Mary

Post by 12stars »

n/a
Last edited by 12stars on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Why be afraid to sometimes think the worst? That's one of the things that shows the depth of Jack's art, the fact that he can go in so many different directions, explore so many different ideas and personae, and sometimes make us think about things we might not want or like to. Being occasionally disturbed or shaken up by an artist we admire is exciting and shouldn't in any way diminish or negate the more positive things he's created.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

i dunno... i always figured this set of songs was about his mother ... the sort of stuff that comes out of you when you cant possibly stand to hear another word of how they have planned your life for you or how far you are from what you are expected to be kind of thing after 29 years or so
Now Mary

Can't you find a way

To bring me down?

I'm so sorry

That I had to go

And let you down

Knowing you I'll think things are gonna be fine

But then again you'll probably change your mind

I'm sorry mary but being your mate

Means trying to find something that you aren't going to hate

What a season

To be beautiful

Without a reason

Knowing you I'll think things are gonna be fine

But then again you'll probably change your mind

Mary

Can't you find a way to bring me down?
and this
Old Mary full of grease
Your heart stops within you
Scary are the fruits of your tomb
And harsh are the terms of your sentence.

Old Mary Sister of mine
Find more similar lyrics on http://mp3lyrics.com/q27eMother to the world
Carry this burden now
Until the moment of your last breath.
Now till the moment of your last breath.

I lost my place.
sorta like those little songs you sing to people in your car to relieve the tension of driving amongst complete imbeciles who maybe shouldnt be driving but rather fixing their make up or eating their sandwich or possibly sitting at a desk discussing their latest closing
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
Elephant
Little Cream Soda

Post by Elephant »

I adore this track! I'm haunted by it, but in a good way. Especially the beginning... So dramatic!
"And you'll be watching me girl, takin' over the world, Let The Stripes unfurl, gettin' rich singin' "poor boy, poor boy"-III
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Kali Durga wrote:There was an interview not long after SoC came out in which Jack mentioned that Old Mary began as a mic check. He apparently began spouting the words off the top of his head while checking levels, Alison freaked out in the control booth, he said "Hmmmm, let's play that back", and a weird and wonderful song was born.

I think that sometimes things aren't as deep as we think they are. Though, of course, other times they're even deeper.
Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Isn't it just a screw around with the Rosary? (Lucky he didn't pick an Islamic chant or TMR could be in flames now....) :cry:
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Far as I know, the Hail Mary prayer is a part of the Rosary. What do you expect to be rattling around in the brain of a Catholic boy?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

As a good Catholic boy myself hours were spent making up alternate lyrics for the rosary and other prayers in my youth, they made masses barely tolerable, maybe JW had the same experience? First time I heard the "full of grease" line was after the VM appeared on a pizza crust or something many years ago so he cant claim to be the first one there (although I'm sure he didn't plagiarize).

Started like this I remember;

Hail, Mary, full of grease, the lard is around thee: Blessed art thou among peppers, and blessed is the taste of thy crust.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ok, there's gotta be a pizza place somewhere with a Hail Mary pizza on the menu...