impossible winner video...

Discuss the weather here...
elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

impossible winner video...

Post by elduderino » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 pm

...they ain't lying when they say "creepy"...

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news

i think it's best video by jack etc, since, i dunno, steady as she goes? icky thump?
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
avrate
Little Cream Soda
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by avrate » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Not sure about the video link, but the price creeped me out...
"Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old"

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 pm

I was thinking back on his previous videos last night, too-- Conquest, Level, Buffalo, and TMLYM have been my favorites so far (though, damn, I forgot about the Steady go-kart race). But I think it's safe to say this one might be the best of the bunch. Yeah, it's creepy, but the combination of the little details throughout and the way they matched the swells of the music with some of the imagery to create an emotional wallop make it really compelling.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by elduderino » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 pm

Kali Durga wrote:I was thinking back on his previous videos last night, too-- Conquest, Level, Buffalo, and TMLYM have been my favorites so far (though, damn, I forgot about the Steady go-kart race). But I think it's safe to say this one might be the best of the bunch. Yeah, it's creepy, but the combination of the little details throughout and the way they matched the swells of the music with some of the imagery to create an emotional wallop make it really compelling.
and it's easily my second favorite dead weather tune, after i feel strange.
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:58 pm

I didn't think much of the song when I listened to it on the record, but I will say I really enjoy it married to that video. The video turns it into something more, in my ears at least.

Though, really, I could easily see similar imagery matched up to I Feel Strange. The tone would be totally different since Strange doesn't have the operatic quality of Winner, but the images and narrative could work just as well.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
runofthemill
Little Ghost
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by runofthemill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Because:


User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 pm

The old man and woman in their wedding clothes make me want to cry.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
anonymousbrunette
Little People
Posts: 3758
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 am
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by anonymousbrunette » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Videos out of the TMR camp rarely impress me. This provides some slick visual satisfaction.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org

elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by elduderino » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 pm

so, am i to understand that this video will be, at some point, exclusive to tidal?
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
Aquamarine
Little Ghost
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by Aquamarine » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Nope, they just made it available on both Vevo and Youtube.

elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by elduderino » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Aquamarine wrote:Nope, they just made it available on both Vevo and Youtube.
oh, thanks. i'm not a tidal subscriber and don't really understand how any of that works.
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 8718
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by rsimms3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:52 am

elduderino wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Nope, they just made it available on both Vevo and Youtube.
oh, thanks. i'm not a tidal subscriber and don't really understand how any of that works.
Only the clip of the WS on Detroit Public Access is exclusive to Tidal at this point. Oh and that whole Jack White in Fargo thing.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom

elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by elduderino » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 am

rsimms3 wrote:
elduderino wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Nope, they just made it available on both Vevo and Youtube.
oh, thanks. i'm not a tidal subscriber and don't really understand how any of that works.
Only the clip of the WS on Detroit Public Access is exclusive to Tidal at this point. Oh and that whole Jack White in Fargo thing.
i watched both seasons of fargo - i don't recall seeing jack?!

:problem:
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by Kali Durga » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 am

elduderino wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
elduderino wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Nope, they just made it available on both Vevo and Youtube.
oh, thanks. i'm not a tidal subscriber and don't really understand how any of that works.
Only the clip of the WS on Detroit Public Access is exclusive to Tidal at this point. Oh and that whole Jack White in Fargo thing.
i watched both seasons of fargo - i don't recall seeing jack?!

:problem:
He meant the Coen Bros. film.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

chaptertwentyone
Little Ghost
Posts: 3226
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: impossible winner video...

Post by chaptertwentyone » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:54 am

My favorite Jack video since "Sixteen Saltines".
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
MEMBER THAT?”

Post Reply