Album: Sea of Cowards

Bullet holes and photo booths
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Re: Album: Sea of Cowards

Post by flattop2001 »

Finally got my pre order last night and listened to Cd and vinyl back to back on classic BEO9000/8000 set up and 5005 OPP deck. I could not tell any difference in the mix, although the vinyl sounded richer as always.

Generally I think the mix is a little too high, but understand why people do this, few people actually listen to music nowadays, it tends to be one of any number of things happening at once. I do feel when you do this however you lose the atmosphere of the track and it becomes almost white noise, people confuse this with clipping which is entirely different.

If the sound is becoming distorted at higher volume it has more to do with your system or hearing than a digital medium I have know people with $20K systems that are unwilling to spend $1K on speaker cable, crazy. If it is distorted at source it is distorted at any volume.

The IT problem for me is just the amount of stereo "games" that are being played. I don't see the enjoyment of one line from one channel, the next from the other, and bagpipes and trumpets are really tough to record and be listenable. I think they just pulled it off. The MONO mix allows an easier listen without all the channel switching, which I prefer but some people may say is less of a challenge to the listener.

As always just my opinion
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Not sure if anyone else saw this; thought it was pretty cool. From URP's Facespace/MyBook page...

United Record Pressing
All you need is Jack White and a pocket knife. I love that there's finally an equivalent to the hidden CD track. Some won't notice it and some won't be able to play it.
May 10 at 9:59am

Tim Brooks
Has this ever been done before?
May 10 at 10:00am

United Record Pressing
It's new to me and it's the first time United has done it but I'm not sure if its the first ever or not. As far as I know it is. In all honesty the process wasn't all that different than a normal record, it was just a great idea from those TMR folks.
May 10 at 10:12am
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
mkuborn
Little Ghost

Post by mkuborn »

I agree the icky mono is MUCH more pleasurable to listen to and that URP thing dylan posted is pretty great too. A pocket knife haha.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

I have heard that the split color SOCs don't have a bar code on the back and the regular black vinyl do. Can anyone confirm or deny this? :!:
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

mkuborn wrote:Found this really interesting, it is in response to people on LR complaining about SOC being too loud/clipping, not sure where jack posted it...

mastering notes posted by Jack White at 09:08AM
hello,

vlado mueller has gotten a reputation for being "vlad the impaler" and making
everything too loud and clipping. but i strongly disagree. he only does
that when the ARTIST INSISTS THAT HE DO THAT. and that's the
truth. believe me i've had this discussion a thousand times with engineers.

jack white
III
Takes me back to the old stamp poster, and this one of Vlad the Impaler. Makes so much more sense now.

orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

bh1644 wrote:I have heard that the split color SOCs don't have a bar code on the back and the regular black vinyl do. Can anyone confirm or deny this? :!:
I just checked both of mine and neither have bar codes.

Oh yeah, I got my black one in the mail the other day. The one that was given away on the 24 hour playback cause they spilled the candle wax on it in the middle of the night.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
bh1644 wrote:I have heard that the split color SOCs don't have a bar code on the back and the regular black vinyl do. Can anyone confirm or deny this? :!:

When you say both, I assume you mean a black vinyl and a color?
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

bh1644 wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:

When you say both, I assume you mean a black vinyl and a color?
yep, I have both and i checked all over, no bar codes.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

well dang it... thanks for the info!
MuleSkinner
Little Acorn

Post by MuleSkinner »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
If they are sealed, the black vinyl one has a round Sea of Cowards sticker on the shrinkwrap, the color vinyl one doesn't.

At least mine did.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Ah, yeah, my black one didn't come sealed.
littleacorn
Little Ghost

Post by littleacorn »

"Jack White shreds like a man who met the devil at the crossroads and punched him in the nuts"
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

MuleSkinner wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:
If they are sealed, the black vinyl one has a round Sea of Cowards sticker on the shrinkwrap, the color vinyl one doesn't.

At least mine did.
looks like all the pics on ebay support that theory, all the black vinyl pics have the sticker on the upper right front corner... good call
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

dylnfan wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw this; thought it was pretty cool. From URP's Facespace/MyBook page...

United Record Pressing
All you need is Jack White and a pocket knife. I love that there's finally an equivalent to the hidden CD track. Some won't notice it and some won't be able to play it.
May 10 at 9:59am

Tim Brooks
Has this ever been done before?
May 10 at 10:00am

United Record Pressing
It's new to me and it's the first time United has done it but I'm not sure if its the first ever or not. As far as I know it is. In all honesty the process wasn't all that different than a normal record, it was just a great idea from those TMR folks.
May 10 at 10:12am
I have seen a bunch of old postcards that had a single song on them. You don't have to remove the label to play these. There is a bit of noise, but the tracks are not worth scraping the hell out of your record for.

Does anyone know if the track was in the vinyl or just on the label?
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim