Dodge And Burn

Bullet holes and photo booths
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: Dodge And Burn

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:
koala wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Jackie Lee, Stack-O-Lee. He really doesn't ever leave tradition behind, no matter what he does.
I can't stop obsessing over the connection with Frankie and Johnny. It's one of my most favourite songs of all time. Especially Lonnie Donnegan's version.
I'm gonna be singing that line over and over again all day.

On a less related note, there's a mention in John Peel's autobiography of Lonnie Donegan's performance of it and it's out-thereness and how Jack and Meg were completely blown away when he played it to them.
Oh yeah, I definitely get that, too, especially with the little bit at the end. But check this out-- http://www.metrolyrics.com/stack-olee-b ... -john.html
Stagger Lee was a real man in St. Louis. LOTS of people sing about him. Including Pokey LaFarge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

rsimms3 wrote:
mysteriousprism wrote:Not sure if anyone has made this observation but Mile Markers has been in the BMI Repertoire catalogue since at least 2012 (probably 2010). It is most likely the song on/under the label of Side A of Sea Of Cowards (it contains the words "Now I just count Mile Markers from your door, and my door") along with what is most likely "Monkey Machine" on the B-side (and hidden track on the CD, for those of you who never realized). I wonder if the new LP track is the full recording of this, a new recording, or something entirely new?
Oh shit, good catch! Love the A-Side label track, I hope you are spot on about that theory. They actually played part of that song at the show in Chicago in 2010 at the Congress Theater.
Well, never judge a book by it's cover. The rest of Mile Markers isn't that appealing.....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JonnyH wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
koala wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Jackie Lee, Stack-O-Lee. He really doesn't ever leave tradition behind, no matter what he does.
I can't stop obsessing over the connection with Frankie and Johnny. It's one of my most favourite songs of all time. Especially Lonnie Donnegan's version.
I'm gonna be singing that line over and over again all day.

On a less related note, there's a mention in John Peel's autobiography of Lonnie Donegan's performance of it and it's out-thereness and how Jack and Meg were completely blown away when he played it to them.
Oh yeah, I definitely get that, too, especially with the little bit at the end. But check this out-- http://www.metrolyrics.com/stack-olee-b ... -john.html
Stagger Lee was a real man in St. Louis. LOTS of people sing about him. Including Pokey LaFarge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee
Yeah, and I'm actually surprised it took Jack so long to do a Stagger Lee song. I think aquamarine's right, he's showing how the blues influence hip-hop because hip-hop's seemingly become such a focus for him, but the story could just as easily have worked it's way into a Raconteurs song.

For anyone who's interested in reading about the Stagger Lee story-into-myth, there's a great essay in Greil Marcus' book Mystery Train, in which he goes into the history and links it forward to Sly Stone.

And in response to those folks who enjoyed the Mississippi John Hurt version-- I love the heck out of him. The man played and sang with such softness and delicacy, but some of his songs are so violent and dark. Terrific contrast.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Interesting that they were going to leave this song off the album (as per Jack at the listening party).
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

I like Three Dollar Hat but for me it would be so much better if there weren't any of those weird sonic/laser sounds in the first verse. Either that or not have them so high in the mix of everything.
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

However, for me the highlights of this record at the moment are the songs that were released through the vault with the exception of Mile Markers.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:Interesting that they were going to leave this song off the album (as per Jack at the listening party).
Seriously?? If they'd done that, somebody would'a had to say to Jackie W., "ya crazy".
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

that 3 dollar hat reminds me of some Korn stuff (sorry to say it). I do like it though. Thank goodness (and TMR) for the streaming!
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Kali Durga wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Interesting that they were going to leave this song off the album (as per Jack at the listening party).
Seriously?? If they'd done that, somebody would'a had to say to Jackie W., "ya crazy".
They'd have had to think of something to say to the other three, too. ;)
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Aquamarine wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
"ya crazy"
"ya crazy"
"ya crazy"
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

koala wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
"ya crazy"
"ya crazy"
"ya crazy"
They're not all equally crazy, there being four of them in the band? :D
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

just got through the first full listen. I'd been wondering how all of the singles would fit together. It's quite well composed. I really like the last song too
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Aquamarine wrote:
They are, but I wanted to show off my ability to visually represent an echo using different font sizes.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

koala wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
They are, but I wanted to show off my ability to visually represent an echo using different font sizes.
Ah, I see. Excellent work! :clap: :lol:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Easily fixed-- "Y'all crazy".