Bullet holes and photo booths
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Dodge And Burn

Post by Kali Durga »

O

M

G

Yeah, Three Dollar Hat is too much fun. I may get around to listening to the rest of the album later, but right now that one's stuck on repeat.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

Is Three Dollar Hat the only song he sings lead on?
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

NotACollector wrote:Is Three Dollar Hat the only song he sings lead on?
Sort of, yes.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

I'm wondering why they didn't put Mile Markers on Sea of Cowards at the time. It's a pretty good song and would've fit right in.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Jackie Lee, Stack-O-Lee. He really doesn't ever leave tradition behind, no matter what he does.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Kali Durga wrote:Jackie Lee, Stack-O-Lee. He really doesn't ever leave tradition behind, no matter what he does.
I can't stop obsessing over the connection with Frankie and Johnny. It's one of my most favourite songs of all time. Especially Lonnie Donnegan's version.
I'm gonna be singing that line over and over again all day.

On a less related note, there's a mention in John Peel's autobiography of Lonnie Donegan's performance of it and it's out-thereness and how Jack and Meg were completely blown away when he played it to them.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

koala wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Jackie Lee, Stack-O-Lee. He really doesn't ever leave tradition behind, no matter what he does.
I can't stop obsessing over the connection with Frankie and Johnny. It's one of my most favourite songs of all time. Especially Lonnie Donnegan's version.
I'm gonna be singing that line over and over again all day.

On a less related note, there's a mention in John Peel's autobiography of Lonnie Donegan's performance of it and it's out-thereness and how Jack and Meg were completely blown away when he played it to them.
Oh yeah, I definitely get that, too, especially with the little bit at the end. But check this out-- http://www.metrolyrics.com/stack-olee-b ... -john.html
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

To me, sounds like Jack's part is a mash up of a number of different blues songs, while Alison's part is the modern perspective. IMO.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ That makes sense. Wonder if Alison wrote her part or Jack did.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

And that is a damned cool version of Frankie & Johnny by Lonnie Donegan, by the way. Gonna have to dive into his music one of these days. So many tunes, so little time...
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Kali Durga wrote:
Oh yeah, I definitely get that, too, especially with the little bit at the end. But check this out-- http://www.metrolyrics.com/stack-olee-b ... -john.html
Oooohhh. I have to listen to this later.
I love how he takes old blues songs and converts them. Proves their timelessness.
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

I really like the changeover to Alison's part and then back. There's a possibility that he wrote both the parts. We'll find out from the credits.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I think what he's doing with the blues elements is showing their direct line to hip hop.
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Thank you guys for turning me on to Mississippi John Hurt's Stack o Lee Blues!! What a great track!
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

HammerOfTheGods wrote:Thank you guys for turning me on to Mississippi John Hurt's Stack o Lee Blues!! What a great track!
Ditto